Orient Power Reserve CEX0P001B

Thread: Orient Power Reserve CEX0P001B

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Orient Power Reserve CEX0P001B

Orient Power Reserve model CEX0P001B

I just received this watch yesterday (8/7/09) so I haven’t had a chance to draw any long-term conclusions. However, it’s one that won me over from the moment I first saw it. I’m going to keep this review brief because of my short history with the watch, and because I’m not an expert by any definition. You can draw your own conclusions about the watch’s aesthetic qualities based on the photos.

Here’s the technical info that’s posted on Orient’s Web site:

Band: Genuine Leather
    Power Reserve: Power Reserve Indicator
    Crystal: Mineral Crystal
    Movement: Orient\'s 21 Jewel Self Winding Mechanical Movement.
    Clasp: Deployment Clasp With Buckle
    Case Measurement: 42mm

I measured the width with the crown at 43mm and the thickness at 12mm. I don’t know what the movement caliber is, though. Maybe someone here can provide that.

This watch is very comfortable on my 7-in.-dia. wrist, and I’m confident that it would look and feel good on almost anyone’s wrist. Because of its slim profile and leather band, it feels as light as a feather compared to a Mako, for instance. According to my postal scale, it weighs about 3 oz. Clearly, this is a refined dress watch.

The case is beautifully finished with a pleasing combination of finely brushed and highly polished surfaces. The watch’s design and execution are nearly perfect -- there’s not a rough edge or clumsy design element. Notice in the photo below how the Orient logo on the crown is crisply engraved.

The slightly domed crystal complements the flowing lines of the watch without being obtrusive. And there’s no problem with reflection when viewing the face from almost any angle. The edge of the crystal flows directly into the brushed and polished bezel, which reinforces the watch’s integrated design.

Although Orient says the face is black, it’s really charcoal gray. I find that it’s pleasing to look at and enhances the appearance of the face details (of which there are many). I think the power reserve feature on the dial is a great practical feature and a welcome aesthetic addition. The tachymeter scale looks nice and might be a useful feature for some.

It’s too early to tell about accuracy, but for now it seems to be running about +3 seconds a day. My limited experience with Orient watches in this regard has been very positive.

Perhaps the least impressive part of this watch is its strap. Not that’s it’s bad – in fact, it’s very good for this price – but there are better leather straps out there. The clasp snaps shut, which isn’t terribly secure --but after all, this is a dress watch, so it’s not meant for scuba diving or playing tennis. It’s a nicely made and attractive clasp, though. The leather is a pretty bright pumpkin color, but it gives the watch a little attitude and it should mellow with age.

Lume is, well, weak but nicely done. Again, no extreme sports, such as spelunking for this watch.

Finally, would I buy this watch if I had to do it again? I’m finding it difficult to resist buying the other two iterations (white face, and blue face with a blue strap). I think this one is a home run. To mix metaphors, I give it a 9.5 out of 10.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Isthmus; August 10th, 2009 at 20:16. Reason: spelling

Re: Orient Power Reserve CEX0P001B

Great write-up very nice shots and a great looking watch. It's just incredible to me that Orient has these kinds of pieces for these kinds of prices! Thanks for the time
    "You've stolen my heart, yes You have, You've wiped away the stains, broke away the chains, yes You have!" Leeland

Jbdan, thanks for the kind words. I agree that Orient delivers a lot of bang for the buck, and its watches can be addictive. Your excellent review of the Orient Star Retro Future camera watch pushed me over the edge on that one -- it's due here tomorrow. I think I'm going to have to hold you personally responsible.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Haha maybe Orient could give me a percentage, a little kick-back fee, for the watches I sell off of reviews!

Did you go with the back or white dial? or neither? There are about 6 variants of that model!
    "You've stolen my heart, yes You have, You've wiped away the stains, broke away the chains, yes You have!" Leeland

I'm getting the black-dial version directly from Orient. (I took advantage of last week's discount.) My wife has been buying garden plants on sale in retaliation, so it's time for us to have a short-lived truce.

Maybe Orient should consider an Internet version of Tupperware or Mary-Kay to reward referrals -- but I hope not.

LOL

Share some shots when you receive

I recently picked up the same watch in blue but find the matching blue leather band to be a little too loud for my taste. Anyone here have any idea on whether is there a steel brcelet from Orient that'll fit this watch? I'm pretty sure it won't take the normal curved end-links as the case isn't very curved at the lug area. Perhaps a 20mm bracelet from one of the tonneau cases may fit?

Nice review and picks, it would be nice to see a few on the wrist .

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but does anyone have any exact details on diameter? I know it says 42mm in the review, but I've hard conflicting reports on this. I'm looking for a case size w/o crown. I have a 6.75" wrist and have difficulty wearing things much larger than 40mm.

Thanks!
    ~Ross

BTW -- Your pictures are fantastic. Thank you for all the detailed macro shots.

~Ross

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information