All SS case and bracelet
    Double push button fold over clasp
    50m WR
    Case diameter ~41mm not including crown
    Case thickness ~11mm
    Lug width ~22mm
    Bracelet width 22mm tapers to 20mm at clasp
    Weight ?? (guess ~150 grams)

Foreword: A substantial dress watch. Oxymoron or not, this watch has a lot of presence on the wrist. If you are like me, and have become accustomed to wearing larger than 40mm watches, this watch will not disappoint. If your looking for a dressy watch for a fabulous price (~$140) and one that has a larger case then typical dress watches this is a looker. It also comes in black and blue.

Pictures: The indexes and hands are all chromed. Do not let the reflections fool you. The white dial is just that. It is not polar white, but rather a pure white. Compared to the white fabric it is pictured with, it looks a little off-white slightly creamy.

Face/Dial

A classic look with a classic font. Sharp pointy hands and indexes with 8 lume pips and lumed hour and minute hands. The lume is no good, it lasts 2 hours tops, but this is a dress watch right!

What I wish Orient had done here is put a black line in each index and on the hour and minute hands. In very low light this watch is hard to read. In moderate to good light it is very legible. The black line I speak of would solve the low light issue. Oh well can't have it all with this kind of price

The dial is gorgeous. The diamond pattern/waffle/honeycomb what ever you want to call it is really sharp. The PRI within this pattern has it's own texture. This same texture is found around the perimeter of the dial as well as printed second tic's and 1/5th second tic's.

The Orient logo, the textures, the fonts, the whole layout....this is a good looking dial.

Case/Crystal

The case is all SS. The sides and case bottom are polished...the lug tops are brushed and the stationary bezel is polished. The case bottom is screw-on and the Orient logo looks beautiful. The crown does NOT screw down and rotates freely when pushed in. One click out and setting the time is smooth. The crown also sports the Orient symbol.

The date is advanced by using the recessed pusher @ 2 o'clock. Some might like this who do not favor the Mako pusher, but in reality it is not the most convenient way to change the date. You have to have a pen, pencil, toothpick, paper clip, etc... to change it. Could not get my fingernail in there

The domed crystal is really domed! It's a pretty sight I love it. It looks thick and gives a very rounded look to the case. Reflections are not an issue.

Bracelet/Clasp

The bracelet is exactly like the Mako bracelet (sans the clasp) for those of you who are familiar. Open end links and solid brushed SS bracelet with polished sides. Brushed clasp with the sides polished.

OEM sized to 7 1/2” wrists the links use the same split pins of the Mako bracelet. Size is 22mm at the lugs and tapers quickly to 20mm all the way to the clasp.

The clasp is stamped with the Orient text logo, has 2 micro-adjustment positions and is a fold over double locking type.

Opinion

I do have a few quibbles about it's legibility in very low light. For me, a watches legibility is way up on my priority list. But then again this is a dress watch (at least for me) and how often will there be a situation that I have to read this watch in very low light right!

It is a great size imo...every dimension about it.

Accuracy so far....just like my Mako when I first bought it....about 4-5 seconds fast per 24 hrs. Will update after some wrist time.

Now lets look at that bulbous crystal one more time and play with some lighting

Thanks WUS!
    Last edited by jbdan; February 17th, 2010 at 07:35.
    applelone, Marrin, mitadoc and 1 others like this.
    "You've stolen my heart, yes You have, You've wiped away the stains, broke away the chains, yes You have!" Leeland

Re: Orient Power Reserve CEX0R001W

Nice review of a great watch. I've been wearing mine night and day for the last 4 days and the watch seems to have lost a few seconds only.

Complaints? minor: the minute hand should have been made a bit longer to touch the minute tics and hacking would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by RON in PA View Post
    Nice review of a great watch. I've been wearing mine night and day for the last 4 days and the watch seems to have lost a few seconds only.

Complaints? minor: the minute hand should have been made a bit longer to touch the minute tics and hacking would be nice.
    It is a sharp piece

The longer minute hand would look nice I think.

Great accuracy on yours!

My experience with Orients is they tend to run about 4-5 secs fast per 24 hrs when brand new. After a month or so all of my Orients have settled in to about +2 or 3 secs per day which is outstanding.

I also can't wait to try some different leather strap combos.

Congrats on your CEX0!
    Last edited by jbdan; August 4th, 2009 at 09:15.
    "You've stolen my heart, yes You have, You've wiped away the stains, broke away the chains, yes You have!" Leeland

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

This watch is the poor man's Orient Star. Great piece and excellent review.

Great review and awesome pictures. This is the watch I'm thinking of buying for my dad.
    I Love Watches

It would make a great gift Jennifer!

just received mine with the black dial. The case size is perfect for me. Jbdan or Hogrider should take pictures for orient because the stock orient pictures did not represent how nice the dial is. The dial is very elegant and understated in person.

Quote Originally Posted by jbdan View Post
    It would make a great gift Jennifer!
    I actually changed my mind, I'm thinking of ordering this one:

Which one do you think is better? I like this more personally, not going to ask him as it'll be a surprise. Not too sure how good the leather strap is though??
    Last edited by Jennifer C; August 7th, 2009 at 20:02.
    I Love Watches

I think they both look great. They are both 41-42mm, but I cannot find the thickness of this model. I always go for the bracelet version and down the road purchase the leather or strap of my choice. Would he mind having the tachymeter around the bezel? I wouldn't. I don't feel one is better than the other so it's your choice.

Jennifer,

I just received the black-faced version (CEX0P001B) of this watch today. It's much more attractive than the stock photo would lead you to believe. As far as the band is concerned, it's certainly adequate and should hold up OK. The band's color is really "pumpkin" and not tan. If I get a chance I'll shoot some photos and post a review. I'm sure your dad would be delighted with this one.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information