ORIENT STAR Automatic 300M Diver WZ0251FD
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: ORIENT STAR Automatic 300M Diver WZ0251FD

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    tmt

ORIENT STAR Automatic 300M Diver WZ0251FD

This is a watch I looked long and hard at before buying.
    For me the rather avantgarde look with power reserve and datewindow at 9 oīclock took a lot of getting used to.
    When the chance came for buying one I didnīt hesitate though.
    I bought it from the original owner LNIB and judging from the serial no itīs from august 2006. Iīve never looked back.

It comes in a doublebox with a nice satin feel to it.

Inside the box there is:
    -the watch itself
    -springbar tool
    -rubberstrap
    -manual
    -guarantee
    -instructions for changing bracelet

All that was a bonus as I like such stuff

The watch is massive and at first I was considering if Iīd made a mistake.
    Some selfmeasured specs:
    -226 grams minus 2 links
    -45,7 mm diameter (without the crown)
    -17,1 mm thick
    -22 mm lugs

But after awhile I got used to the size, but sadly not without some accidents.
    So itīs a good thing the crystal is sapphire, and thick too boot, 5,5 mm, according to sources on different forums.
    As I mentioned earlier it took a while before I really liked the dial. Now I canīt imagine it any other way.

It is very easy reading the time, which for me is most important. Iīm also addicted to the power reserve complication. Itīs a great way of to see how much time there is left.
    And it looks cool;)
    The date window could be a bit larger but thatīs minor stuff.

The lume is great on the Orient. The best part is that it lasts all night. And believe me, wintertime is really dark in Sweden…

The bezel is 60 clicks. Really large and surprisingly stiff to turn. It doesnīt look to have an insert. I use it all the time for timing cooking, running or whatever. So for me, all clicks need to be there. How it works under water I donīt know īcause I donīt dive…
    In the future Iīve promised myself to get a diving license now that I have two diver watches.

The casework is nice, even though my Omega Seamaster has a tiny bit better finish.
    Itīs cool with the lugholes. Gives it a “tooly” look.

The crown is located at 4 oīclock and is supernice! I just love the look of it. Itīs large and very grippy. The best thing is that the action is very smooth. A lot better than my SMP!

The case back is really nicely done, very intricate. Attention to detail comes to mind.

The original bracelet is pretty good, but somewhat thin. Itīs not really on par with the watch.
    It also has the divers extension with a ratcheting system. Kind of cool but it releases very easily when putting on the watch. My SMP has a better bracelet/clasp.
    In the future Iīll probably buy a watchadoo as pictures of the pairing really looks neat (and heavy).
    For me itīs best on Nato as it really hugs the wrist.
    I have only had it on the supplied rubberstrap and that was ok.
    Iīm about to buy a leatherstrap next and weīll see how that fits. Updated with a Hirsch Grand Duke.
    It seems pretty nice so far.

And if you wonder, my wrist is about 7,8 inches.

The calibre is non-hack/wind. To be fair, this is the only thing this calibre is lacking. I donīt really miss winding since it winds up superfast. And I mean fast! Someone said a good brush of your teeth will do and your ready to go. Had to try that one! After a couple of minutes the PR was on 25 hours, pretty neat, huh?
    But non-hacking really sux. I know you can put pressure on it, and I do so if I need to. But it still sux. The only real improvement needed with this watch would be hacking.
    Accuracy-wise this is right on the money. When I first bought it it went like this:
    - Crown down, one week with constant use except for 9-10 hours off at night, + 66 s.
    - Crown up, one week with constant use except for 9-10 hours off at night, + 68 s.
    - Dial up, one week with constant use except for 9-10 hours off at night, + 127 s.
    Now Iīve started anew and this is the result so far:
    - Crown down, one week with constant use except for 9-10 hours off at night, + 33 s.
    - Crown up, one week with constant use except for 9-10 hours off at night, - 15 s. UPDATE
    - Dial up, one week with constant use except for 9-10 hours off at night, + 55 s. UPDATE

Iīve worn the watch for four weeks now, and itīs still pretty accurate.
    I have on the nightstand alternating crown down and crown up every other night.

As before itīs off 9-10 hours at night, -78 s. Thatīs accurate enough for me :) UPDATE

If you leave it resting in different positions youīll probably have really great accuracy in the long run.
    Itīs probably safe to say the watch is consistently inconsistent. Much like my SMP after a while it can suddenly run slow.
    But it really keeps good time so in this respect Iīm really pleased.

The conclusion is that for me this is a great watch, with great looks and allows for great accuracy, which for me is really important.
    I know many people think it costs way too much money for an Orient with a non-hack/wind calibre.
    If you can look past those hindrances itīs a fabulous watch with great presence on the wrist.
    The OS 300 really rocks and is for me the perfect beater. And itīs a real plus that it goes so well with all kinds of bracelets/straps.
    I want to thank Alphonse for giving me courage buying one and also thank Hans for giving me the opportunity in buying it.
    Jan
    Last edited by tmt; June 21st, 2009 at 18:58. Reason: Accuracy update + changed picture
    jarod99 likes this.

tmt

Re: ORIENT STAR Automatic 300M Diver WZ0251FD

Updated the accuracy. Itīs getting there
    Jan

Jan, great review! Although I don't have one, I agree that the only thing lacking would be "hackability". Other than that it's super. You know I'm drooling. I really like to buy something that is new, nothing like being the first to open the box etc. but if the price was right for a pre-owned I'd be there. FYI, Amazon is selling Orients now and the price of the 300 M has dropped to $1260 (USD). Gosh, I just got a check from my dental insurance for $1100.......hmmmmm. Probably not, my better half would probaby object. So, it's back to stuffing a little bit away in an envelope every week. Slow, but I'll get there

Jan, the Sony is nice but you reeeeeeeeeeally need a Mac. :) Cheers
    Rob
    Last edited by zagato27; March 8th, 2009 at 03:56. Reason: added a comment
    “She stared hard at me, and I could tell she was pissed. I know that look. I was married.”

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

tmt

I updated with a picture of the coming spring, which we officially have now in Stockholm
    Jan

Beautiful shot tmt!! Hurray for warmer weather
    "You've stolen my heart, yes You have, You've wiped away the stains, broke away the chains, yes You have!" Leeland †

Very nice review, great pics, and an awesome watch...

Definitely on the short list now.

Regards,

Elliott

tmt

Thanx guys:thanks
    Yes, it definitely is a keeper
    Jan

these day, after the macho heavy watchadoo

I change to more dynamic carbon strap 24 from Seiko

hasnt been arround to take many pictures
    but its quite comfy to wear
    just trying to break the new strap to be more flexible

That is really sharp music!

Quote Originally Posted by music_healing View Post
    these day, after the macho heavy watchadoo

I change to more dynamic carbon strap 24 from Seiko

hasnt been arround to take many pictures
    but its quite comfy to wear
    just trying to break the new strap to be more flexible

"You've stolen my heart, yes You have, You've wiped away the stains, broke away the chains, yes You have!" Leeland †

Quote Originally Posted by jbdan View Post
    That is really sharp music!
    thanks

i went to seiko to clean some of my vintage seiko

the watchman show me some of the newly come strap n bracelet

i pick this seiko carbon 24 for 9 $ only

and he doesnt want to charge me anything since I bought 9$ strap from him

KUdo to Seiko and Orient service

OS300 going to worn a lot with this comfy strap

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information