Orient Star Classic Auto WZ0081EL (white)
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Orient Star Classic Auto WZ0081EL (white)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

JDM Orient Star Classic Auto WZ0081EL (white)

Specs (taken from Orient JP and ebay):

Mechanical: Orient caliber 40N50 made in Japan
    Self-winding movement
    Hand wind capable
    22 jewels
    Power reserve indicator
    Stainless Steel case and bracelet
    Sapphire crystal with internal AR coating
    See through case back crystal
    40 hour reserve
    10 ATM water resistance
    Lumed hour/minute hands and indexes
    Second hand shutdown
    Accuracy +25 to -10 per day
    Case diameter ~39mm
    Case thickness ~12.3mm
    Bracelet width ~20mm
    Weight ~146g

Face/Dial

A classy, formal, understated satin off-white dial with beveled silver/chrome indexes, silver/chrome hour and minute hands and a delicately thin silver/chrome second hand. The tips and base of the hour and minute hands along with the indexes each have a black line for better day visibility. The power reserve indicator needle, it's indexes, and the date window border are also silver/chrome. Hour and minute hands are lightly lumed as well as 12 lumed “dots” around each index. The lume is very discrete, but does it's job.

The off-white dial color looks white white in low light, but once outside on a partly sunny day it takes on it's original hue of “creamy vanilla off-white.” The dial also has a outward radiating “sunburst” pattern to it albeit only viewable through an enlarged photo.

The Orient Star text (looks printed) and logo (raised silver/chrome) are nicely done and are bordered with a lower sheen (almost flat) white box. The power reserve meter has the same textured dial that the older Classic Auto FD models have. The AR coat on the sapphire is excellent. This is one of those “quick glance” time tellers....very legible in all lighting. All in all the dial is very minimalistic, but elegant.

Case/Crystal/Back

The case is a very nice mixture of brushed and polished SS. Top of the lugs are brushed, angles going down to the side are polished, then the lug sides are brushed. It's an interesting mix and looks really sharp. Fit and finish are excellent and the signed crown look classy. I love the OS symbol. The crown is not screw down and is butter smooth in all positions. This watch does hack and hand wind. Orient recommends 20 turns of the crown and one can watch the power reserve indicator rise as it's wound. Orient also recommends wearing the watch 8 hours per day to maintain it's accuracy.

The sapphire has an AR coating that works very well. It is a flat crystal so there are reflections, but I must say that this watches legibility is extremely good in all lighting conditions. Just a quick glance and time is read. I like this a lot and a watches legibility goes a long way for me. I'm not sure if the rear crystal is sapphire....I would say it is not as it is not stated on Orient's website.

The case back and movement are lovely. Highly polished SS and a well decorated movement. Again, like my other Orient, the rotor swings freely at all levels of power reserve. Once stopped, literally picking it up starts it again.

Bracelet/Clasp

Hands down the most comfortable bracelet I have ever put on. The watch is smaller than I am used to, but after a day wearing it and with it's very comfortable bracelet I am really digging it! The bracelet is a mix of mostly brushed SS with polished accents. The pin and collar system used is different than any other I have seen in my limited watch buying experience. It uses a collar system, but the collars are springs. The pins remove with little force and sizing the bracelet was the easiest sizing I have ever done on a SS bracelet. There is almost no rattle what-so-ever with the bracelet.

The clasp is brushed all the way around and has the OS logo on it. Again, minimalist look and classy.

Overall Opinion

I must say that this watch is a keeper and I don't say that often if ever with watches. I'm OCD about buying and selling them. It is just plain sharp and I really like it.

The watch wears a little larger than it's diameter due to it sitting fairly high off the wrist.

Accuracy so far: set to atomic time 56 hours ago: +4 sec. EDIT: after owning the watch for one week and setting it to atomic time via time.gov it is now +16 sec's. I am very pleased.

About the lume. Obviously that is not this kind of watch strong point and some would say it should have no lume anyways on a dressy watch like this, but I disagree. The lume (only on the hour and minute hands) lasts about 5-6 hours...I wear my watches to sleep so it's nice. During the daylight hours, the lume is so inconspicuous that it does not take away from the “dressiness” of the watch imo. Also, late night viewing, even if there is the faintest bit of light around, it reflects off the chromed hands/indexes and is very easy to read with a small tilt of the wrist.

3 last pics....Firstly a size comparison, then the lume, then the AR at work

Thanks WUS for allowing me the opportunity to do this!
    Last edited by jbdan; July 15th, 2009 at 01:58. Reason: read manual and is HW
    mitadoc, Piede, EXCALIBUR1 and 4 others like this.
    "You've stolen my heart, yes You have, You've wiped away the stains, broke away the chains, yes You have!" Leeland

Suspended

Re: Orient Star Classic Auto WZ0081EL (white)

Great review and photos. Thanks for sharing. It is a beautiful watch. Compared to the older FD model it looks like the bracelet now sits flush to the lugs and the sides of the bracelet are brushed instead of polished. I also expected the dial to be the satin finish like some of the other OS Classics, but in your pictures it doesn't look like this is true. This dial looks a lot like the Seiko Sprirts SARB. Just more subtle differences that make my head spin in trying to decide on another...

Nice Watch. You won't be disappointed. That is a nice movement in that watch too! I own several Orient Stars with this movement. Enjoy.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

tmt

Beautiful watch
    Very nice review and your photografic skills are top notch
    I´ve always looked at divers but this watch is just brilliant.
    Jan

Thanks so much. I really do try and post pics that show the watch as well it can. My words might be a little bias towards Orient because I am liking their watches so much, but their value is incredible and their watches are really high quality.

@ nhoJ: it is satin I will post a pic I have that shows that part off.

@ tmt: I am a diver watch guy myself, but am now expanding my tastes to more classic, dressy pieces. It's healthy to break from the norm
    Last edited by jbdan; January 31st, 2009 at 07:34.
    "You've stolen my heart, yes You have, You've wiped away the stains, broke away the chains, yes You have!" Leeland

Very hard to capture it's satin sheen, but you can see the sun's reflection off the dial in these. Hope this shows what you were after.

seattle_guy likes this.

Great review.

P.s. I like your signature. Romans 8. :)

Nice watch and nice review. Thanks!

(I wonder if it's the same movement as in the OS 200/300m divers? The layout looks the same.)
    matt

It might very well be the same mvmnt. I never thought about that until I saw a post highlighting someone's newly purchased OS diver. Smashing watch and on my future hit list!

Quote Originally Posted by jbdan View Post

... edited ...

... edited ...

Thanks WUS for allowing me the opportunity to do this!
    Hi jbdan:

While looking to your review , I found out we have almost the same feeling...

Cheers,
    Hessel

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information