Orient Star Retrograde SDE00002W0
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By rfortson
  • 1 Post By Mediocre

Thread: Orient Star Retrograde SDE00002W0

Orient Star Retrograde SDE00002W0

First true review I've done, so feel free to ask questions. I purchased the Orient Star Retrograde last fall, and have been wearing it for a while. I was immediately impressed by the look and quality of the watch, and with a few minor points, I'm still in love with it.

The exact model I purchased was the SDE00002W0 (per the Orient USA website). It's 39.5mm diameter and 14.25mm thick. The crystal is slightly domed sapphire with an anti-reflective coating. It uses the 22 jewel 40A50 automatic movement which allows hand winding and hacking. Power reserve is 40 hours. The movement seems well within the specified accuracy of +25s/-15s. I don't usually time my watches, and I usually rotate watches so this one was worn a day and then spent several days on a winder before being worn again. Checking it against my atomic clock, I noticed that it would gain less than 5s per day, and sometimes even less. I didn't try different positions or wearing for several days to check accuracy. Just my quick check showed it well within spec.

The dial has a nice circular pattern to it with cutouts for the various complications. The hour markers are applied and the Orient Star logo at 3 o'clock is applied/raised as well. There is a light lume applied to the hour marker dots on the outer ring, as well as the hands. The dauphine hands are polished on one side of the hand and brushed along the other side, giving the silver hands a nice contrast even though the dial is white. In addition to hours and minutes, and a central second hand, there is a power reserve at the top of the dial, a date dial at the 9 o'clock position and a retrograde day display at the 6 o'clock position.

The dial is a very slight cream color and the circular patterns capture the light and show off the dial details nicely. One minor nit I have with the dial is that the finish isn't matte. In fact, in certain light it can appear shiny, which can also make it look plastic. I have no idea what the dial material is, but sometimes I wonder if it's just molded. It's still a nicely detailed dial, so the material of construction is just a personal preference (and I'm not sure I don't like it, just that I haven't really seen another watch with this type of material).

The bracelet is solid and well made, though I'm a little underwhelmed by the clasp. It's a push-button deployant style and is very secure, but the logo is molded or pressed rather than engraved/etched. A minor point, but it still slightly detracts from an otherwise very nice bracelet. The links are brushed with polished connecting links. The style is not the usual "Submariner" chunky bracelet, and while I'm fairly certain it's not totally unique to Orient, it's still uncommon enough that it doesn't say "me, too". It's solid and comfortable, and well made.

The watch case is also well made with a polished bezel and stepped/polished lugs (lug width 20mm). The side of the case is brushed, which gives a nice contrast. The crown is signed with the OS logo, and is large enough for easy setting or hand-winding, but small enough that it doesn't get in the way of comfort.

The back of the case has a screwed down display back (glass crystal, not sapphire on the caseback). The movement is visible with light decoration. The rotor has cutouts giving it an interesting shape (and displaying more of the movement) and is signed with the logo and "Orient Star Japan" in applied gold. While the level of detailing is not equal to watches costing thousands, it is still a nicely decorated in-house movement.

The case is 14.25mm thick, which is equal to some of my chronographs, so it's not a slim watch. However, it wears well and fits under my sleeves on the few occasions I wear something long sleeved.

Water resistance is given as 10 bars (100m) which is great for everyday life, but I wouldn't wear this swimming. Orient lists it as okay for swimming but not diving to 100m (why would you in this watch?). The crown doesn't screw down, so consider that if you're planning to get it really wet.

Overall, I think this watch is a wonderful bargain. At the MSRP of $1010, it's an okay deal given that it's an in-house movement and nicely detailed construction. It matches my similarly priced Swiss watches for fit and finish. At the usual 30-40% (or more) discount that you can easily find, this watch becomes an absolute bargain. Even after several months of ownership, I still smile every time I put it on, and I have to make myself take it off so my other watches don't get jealous. It's certainly made me want other Orient Star watches, as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by rfortson; January 31st, 2014 at 05:38.
    Likestheshiny and dduck like this.

Re: Orient Star Retrograde SDE00002W0

Thanks for taking the time to review, gorgeous watch!
    rfortson likes this.
    Do something exceptionally mediocre today

Thread Information