Orient Star WZ0011EJ-Cream Photo review

Thread: Orient Star WZ0011EJ-Cream Photo review

Orient Star WZ0011EJ-Cream Photo review

I got this earlier in the week from my near neighbour Nathan, he lives about 4 hours north of me Another great transaction. The Orient Star has the feel of a much more expensive watch. It's reminiscient of a 1960's style Rolex. The casework is lovely, with polished sides and brushed finish on the lugs. The movement hacks and winds. The watch wears larger than the older styled watch, and I find it a nice size on my 7 and a half inch wrist.

Here are the pics. It's really nice to wind this and watch the power reserve hand creep up to the 40 hour reserve.

Fits well on the wrist

Lovely crystal rising out of the case.

It's a beautiful summers/winters day to takes some photos.

Beautiful dial cream or ivory take your pic.

Classic lines

nice movement

Very nicely finished

Classic crystal and crown

I hope you like this quick and dirty review of a classic watch.

Cheers

Peter
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Isthmus; August 30th, 2009 at 19:49.

Re: Orient Star WZ0011EJ-Cream Photo review

Another Orient Star beauty.. Value for money for a classic watch..

Tony Lewis
    New Zealand

Thanks so much for the picture review Pete. lovely watch. These really seem to be getting a following of late. When you get a chance, we would love to read your impressions on the different details of the watch. It would really be a compliment to your excellent photographs. Thanks in advance.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Orient rules! Thanks for sharing.

Very nice Pete it looks great! Classic indeed. So now you have the Somes and this EJ what are some of your thoughts on Orient timepieces? Thanks for sharing the pics
    "You've stolen my heart, yes You have, You've wiped away the stains, broke away the chains, yes You have!" Leeland

Re: Orient Star WZ0011EJ-Cream Photo review follow up

I can say that Orient make some of the best watches that I have ever had the good fortune to own. The quality of the case work and dial of the WZ0011EJ is simply great for the price range. With a polished bezel brushed case top and polished sides the watch oozes quality.

The bracelet is an Oyster style and very substantial. I think the watch would also look nice on a dark brown strap.

The dial is beautifully designed, it's described as a cream, but can look off white. It's a really nice subdued colour with beautiful details on the dial.

The lume is nice and visible for most of the night, but as a dress watch that is an added bonus. The watch in my opinion is the perfect size for a dress watch.

The crystal feels like vintage plexi, but I believe it's mineral and adds a nice vintage feel rising out of the case. The profile has a nice understated elegance.

The vintage feel is carried through every part of the design including the hands which appear to curve at the end, although I thought that might have been the refracted crystal affect.

The batons are stick and arabic, and with the power reserve reminds me of a JLC RDM.

The movement is the 22 jewel Orient EJ movement, which hacks and handwinds, making it a joy to watch the power reserve needle rise. I think the finish is rather well done on the Orient Stars, with both my Somes and this one exhibiting fine workmanship and even finishing. The WZ0011EJ has a black engraved rotor as opposed to some other Stars that have gold engraved rotors.

I am not an accuracy nut, but both my star's exhibit equal timekeeping ability, and seem extremely accurate. The rotor winding is very efficient and on this one the manual winding is an added bonus.

One excellent feature that I neglected to highlight is the date pusher. This cannot be activated accidently as I have tried to do. It makes date changing in short months easy. I use a pencil or a golf tee to change the date. It seems to be springloaded and impossible to change even when applying pressure.

Here are some specs of the watch.

• Automatic Handwinding and Hacking
    • Accuracy of +25 sec to -15 sec daily
    • Power Reserve 40 hours
    • Weight: 127 grams
    • Thickness: 13.9mm
    • Width: 40mm (without crown)
    • Lug to Lug: 46mm
    • Lug Width: 20mm
    • Features: Date Pusher, Power Reserve, Date Window
    • Stainless Steel Case and Bracelet
    • Glass Crystal
    • Water Resistance: 10 Bar

The watch has a dignified, classic feel reminiscient of a 60's Rolex. The sort of watch that every professional man aspired to own. The classic profile of this piece makes it a winner for me and has re-inspired me on my watch collecting journey.

Cheers

Peter

I just got mine but with the blue dial, very impressed with its overall VFM and the fact that it is so accurate, wasn't expecting that (better than 6R15 from Seiko SARB031). The only minus aspect is that in my watch, the gaps between links of the bracelet are so close together that the links are getting scratched and one of the pins was loose and going out of place (now sorted).

Last edited by brugo; September 1st, 2009 at 18:10.

Very nice blue

Excellent value for money. Great watches

See below Gabe, these are underrated in my opinion.

Thread Information