ORIENT STAR WZ0071FE: Pictures and review

Thread: ORIENT STAR WZ0071FE: Pictures and review

Picture ORIENT STAR WZ0071FE: Pictures and review

Well, my ORIENT STAR WZ0071FE arrived last week from Seiya in Japan.
    I got stung $65 by customs, but thatís the way it goes I suppose.

So now to the watch:

Size: 40mm wide without crown, 44mm lug to lug, 20mm lug width, 12/13mm thick
    Movement : 21 Jewels Automatic
    +25/-15 sec day 40h power reserve
    Non-hacking, non-manual winding movement
    Case, Bracelet: SS
    Crystal: Domed sapphire
    Crown: Screw-down crown
    WR: 10 ATM
    24 hour hand (non-adjustable GMT hand) and easy compass

What do I think of it? Itís great!

Dial
    The iridescent dial is amazing. In low light conditions it has a deep blood red / metallic brown appearance, but in bright light and sunshine it radiates a metallic ruby red colour. It seems like a different watch every time the light changes.
    If you like the dial on the blue Mako, youíll love this one (provided you like red of course!).

Hands
    All hands, except the 24hr hand, and markers are well lumed and are easily readable all night. The 24-hour hand cannot be independently set to another time zone, but doubles up as an Ďeasy compassí which is very useful for all of those times you find yourself lost in the wildernessÖ hmmm. Anyhow, all you need to do is lay the watch flat and point the 24hr hand at the sun. You can then assess bearings based on the sunís position. Itís actually a lot more accurate than you might think. The easy compass only works in the Northern Hemisphere though, and is obviously only usable during the daytime; itís a nice little Ďgadgetí though.

Case
    The retro-styled case has a nice mix of brushed and polished finishes and the curves are very nicely designed. It really is a handsome looking watch and, as ever, the online pics donít do it justice. The case has an exhibition back which shows off the weight - marked ĎOrient Starí and ĎJapaní Ė and the conservatively decorated movement (polished swirls on metallic components). The case has 20mm lug width.

Crystal
    The thick domed sapphire crystal has an almost magnifying effect to it depending on the viewing angle and gives the watch a very solid feel. It does reflect a lot though, but I think that adds to the appearance rather than detracts from it. This watch is going to get noticed!

Movement
    The standard 21-jewel Orient non-winding, non-hacking movement provides perfectly adequate performance. Manual wind would be nice, but no biggie for me.

Bracelet
    Unadjusted, this 20mm bracelet would fit an elephant! However, IĎve never come across a bracelet that was as simple to adjust as this one. In fact, it almost seems too simple! The pins are held in place via springs, so all you have to do is slide them out and re-insert them again as required. No tapping with little hammers, or fiddling around with other tools is required. Once adjusted (there are also 3 micro-adjustments), the bracelet is very comfortable and you forget youíre even wearing the watch. The clasp opens and closes very cleanly and the bracelet is solid stainless steel with solid end links.

Summary
    As my first Orient Star, Iím impressed with this strikingly good-looking watch and itís going to get a lot of wrist time. Itís surprisingly dressy and therefore promises to be very versatile. In addition, itís a Japan-only model which means that Iím not going to see this watch around too often on other peopleís wrists Ė this of course adds to itís uniqueness (in Canada at least!). The fit, finish and quality, in my opinion, are perfect for the price ($280 shipped) and I couldnít be happier with this model.

For comparison, I've included some pictures of the OS WZ0071FE next to a Seiko SKX007....

I hope this info has been of interest / use!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Pelican; August 12th, 2009 at 17:40. Reason: Typo

Re: ORIENT STAR WZ0071FE: Pictures and review

This is a handsome looking watch and the red is hot! I have not personally seen any real world pics of this model....I'm so glad you bought one for my viewing pleasure

I like the "retro" design very much. The compass feature is cool as beans and I can relate to the ease of sizing the bracelet. I owned a model with this fastening system and it was as you say "too simple."

Lume looks great and I concur on OS's lume longevity.

Thanks for taking the time to share this watch....it really is a sharp piece.
    "You've stolen my heart, yes You have, You've wiped away the stains, broke away the chains, yes You have!" Leeland Ü

Congrats! Beautiful watch.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for posting your review. It's amazing how many interesting Orient watches aren't imported to North America. And that red face is a real dazzler!

Quote Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
    The iridescent dial is amazing. In low light conditions it has a deep blood red / metallic brown appearance, but in bright light and sunshine it radiates a metallic ruby red colour. It seems like a different watch every time the light changes.
    If you like the dial on the blue Mako, youíll love this one (provided you like red of course!).
    Hmmmm, I've often hoped for a red Mako :D

I'd be the first one on the list for that!

I actually like this watch a lot more due to your pictures of it :P

Enjoy it!

Thanks for the review! I just got myself a red Bernhardt Sea Shark but may have to get this Orient as well.
    "Happiness is nothing more than good health and a bad memory."--Albert Schweitzer

Quote Originally Posted by flipangle View Post
    Thanks for the review! I just got myself a red Bernhardt Sea Shark but may have to get this Orient as well.
    The Sea Shark is great. My Orange one gets loads of wrist time - built like a tank. Enjoy it!