Review: ORIENT BLACK MAKO CEM65001B AUTOMATIC

Thread: Review: ORIENT BLACK MAKO CEM65001B AUTOMATIC

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Review: ORIENT BLACK MAKO CEM65001B AUTOMATIC

This post contains my "first impressions" review. Please see further down the page (here) for my follow up review.

ORIENT BLACK MAKO CEM65001B AUTOMATIC

List Price: $190
    Purchase Price: $120
    Movement: EM65
    Dial Color: Black
    Case: Stainless Steel
    Crystal: Mineral
    Bezel: 60 clicks uni-directional

Back: Stainless Steel
    Hacks: No
    Handwinds: No
    Lume: Yes
    Water Resistance: 20 Bar (600 feet)
    Bracelet Micro Adjustments: 3
    Purchased: May 2009
    Purchased From: Discountwatchstore.com

DIMENSIONS
    Width: 41.00 mm
    With Crown: 45.45 mm
    Lug Width: 22.00 mm
    Height (lug to lug): 46.60 mm
    Thickness: 13.50 mm

WHY I PURCHASED THIS WATCH
    After reading mostly rave reviews on WUS, I decided that I’d give an Orient watch a try. I love the look of the dial and wanted to see if the quality is as good as I’ve read about.

QUALITY (fit, crystal, lume, bracelet)
    Let me begin with the build of the watch. It feels MUCH flimsier in hand than I expected it to be. Compared to my Seiko SKA387, which is a tank, the Mako feels much less solid. The bracelet and clasp feel extremely cheap to me. The safety clasp feels very light weight and just dangles when it is open (on a Seiko, I believe it usually locks in the open position) and is semi-loose/rattles when it is closed. The crown and day pusher also feel very low quality as if they won’t hold up at all; the crown seems to have a thin stem that I’m afraid will eventually give way to stress.

The bezel is 100% impossible for me to turn while wearing on the wrist and the sound and movement when turning the bezel also feel very low quality. The bezel may loosen up with time, but should it be completely unusable while wearing until that time?

Now onto some plusses. I LOVE the look of the the watch; the dial is a real looker. Also, the initial lume is OK, but fades very quickly. The movement looks very nice and I like the red tipped second hand, bordered date window, and signed crown.

It seems to me that Orient did an injustice when creating this watch by pairing such a great dial and movement with such a substandard bracelet and bezel. Perhaps others can look past these issues, but it is hard for me to. If you’d like a good looking watch, this may be for you. However, if you’d like a high quality feeling watch, this may not be it. As long as your expectations are realistic at this price point (perhaps mine weren’t), you should be reasonably happy with this watch.

ACCURACY
    My unscientific observation is that the watch currently runs about +/- 10 seconds per day--acceptable for an automatic in my opinion.

HIGHS
    Gorgeous dial
    Signed crown
    Red tipped second hand

LOWS
    Low quality bracelet
    IMPOSSIBLE to turn bezel when on wrist
    Crown feeling/durability

SCORES
    Fit/finish: 4/10
    Crystal: 4/5
    Dial/Bezel: 3/5
    Lume: 3/5
    Bracelet/Strap: 2/5
    Accuracy: 4/5
    Value: 5/10
    Overall (not an average): 5/10

MY BACKGROUND
    Here is some background information about me. This may help clarify my point of view and what shapes my opinions. If there is anything I can do to help you with more information about the watches in my reviews, if you’d like more photos, etc, please let me know and I’ll try to help.

I am a computer programmer/analyst from a very small town in central Wisconsin. I am a husband and father to two boys, ages 3 and 1. My interests include digital photography (Canon SLR’s), watches (Japanese mainly), Apple computers, cars (Japanese and German), and LED flashlights. I am a self-professed perfectionist and appreciate an extreme attention to detail and like to have a sense of value for my money. I believe this is what draws me primarily to Japanese watches. I have written my reviews in an attempt to provide information that I found difficult myself (at least before finding WUS) to obtain. I typically research a new watch purchase for about 20 hours in an attempt to make sure I’m happy with my purchase.

TECHNICAL INFO
    My measurements were all performed with a digital caliper accurate down to .01 mm and rounded to the nearest .05 mm. I believe these to be as accurate of measurements as I have seen anywhere and may differ from official specs and other websites. For reference in the photos, I have approximately a 6.5 inch wrist.
    Last edited by moeharri; July 21st, 2009 at 04:01.
    (Review coming soon) Hamilton Jazzmaster Chronograph
    (Review coming soon) Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic

Banned

Re: Review: ORIENT BLACK MAKO CEM65001B AUTOMATIC

Nice review. However your comments about the watch feeling cheap are truly puzzling to me. I think this watch has the build quality of a bank vault. But then again, for a sub $200 time piece, I am not expecting a Rolex or an Omega to begin with.

Me too, I am perfectionist, but I guess there are different levels of OCD.
    Last edited by MINIDriver; May 31st, 2009 at 21:40.

Quote Originally Posted by MINIDriver View Post
    Nice review. However your comments about the watch feeling cheap are truly puzzling to me. I think this watch has the build quality of a bank vault. But then again, for a sub $200 time piece, I am not expecting a Rolex or an Omega to begin with.

Me too, I am perfectionist, but I guess there are different levels of OCD.
    When you refer to quality are you specifically referring to the bracelet? If that was much better, I probably would have looked past all of the other issues, but once I felt how cheap the bracelet is compared to other watches I've owned and felt, I became more picky about other issues that I believe Orient could have done better with. Also, are you able to turn your bezel while wearing it? The fact that I cannot is simply puzzling to me (I think my hands are of at least average strength or better).

I'd have been willing to pay twice the price for a better bracelet (I don't want to go aftermarket). I simply love the dial but detest the flimsy bracelet.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Nice review, and great pictures!

However, I too find it puzzling that you think the quality of build on the Orient Mako is "substandard." I find my Mako to be very well built and up to par with my Seikos in terms of build, feel, and reliability.

CURRENTLY OWN

-Tissot PRC200 Chrono
    -Tissot T-Touch Classic

-Seiko SKXA53K1 "Black Bullet"
    -Seiko SHC055 "Black Knight -Quartz"
    -Seiko SNN079P2
    -Seiko SNN081P1
    -Orient Mako "Pepsi" CEM65006D
    -Orient Mako Black CEM65001B

-Orient CTT02004B Chrono
    -Citizen Eco Drive BM8180-03E
    -Parnis Power Reserve Automatic
    -ESQ Chrono
    -Wenger Chrono 73134
    -Casio ProTrek PRG110-1V
    -Casio DW-285
    -Timex T-Series T2M4676K

-Timex T28071
    -Fossil Classic "Lakers Edition"

Even with a bracelet which I still continue to feel is substandard (the edges feel sharp to me, not mentioned in my review), I still continue to find myself wearing it very often (I am wearing it right now). I simply like the look of the dial too much to let its issues prevent me from wearing it. However, I may wear it less once I order an Orient Star black dial on a bracelet.

Banned

However, keep in mind that the Orient Star Black Dial is nearly 6 times the admission price of the Mako..

I understand that the Mako is 3 times cheaper than the Orient Star ($130 shipped versus $398), so I expect the Orient Star to be of higher quality. What I really wanted was for the Mako to be slightly higher priced and have its parts upgraded (solid end links, slightly heavier bracelet, better bezel, etc). Since the Mako doesn't come as I wish, I'm making due with what they did sell--a low priced watch with average build quality and materials.

Quote Originally Posted by moeharri View Post
    I understand that the Mako is 3 times cheaper than the Orient Star ($130 shipped versus $398), so I expect the Orient Star to be of higher quality. What I really wanted was for the Mako to be slightly higher priced and have its parts upgraded (solid end links, slightly heavier bracelet, better bezel, etc). Since the Mako doesn't come as I wish, I'm making due with what they did sell--a low priced watch with average build quality and materials.
    Which Orient Star black dial are you talking about.. If it is the Orient Star 300m Diver then it is at least 6 times the price of the Mako..

Now as to the bezel turning... mine turns quite smoothly..

I have found the Orients to be of better quality than Seikos of the same price point and so I am wondering on what you are basing your opinion.. The Mako was the first watch in this price bracket that I owned with a solid link rather than folded link bracelets..

The stem on the Orient Mako is of the same size as similar Seikos..

The only thing I would change is for the bracelet to be drilled out at the endlinks to fit fatter springbars..

Tony Lewis
    New Zealand

Banned

Moeharri, I respect your opinion and you are more than entitled to it. We just don't see "eye to eye" in regards to the perceived quality (or lack of thereof) of the Mako's SS bracelet and clasp.

Like I said in a previous post (I believe under your Seiko SKA387 review) that I came very close to buy a Seiko SKA379 Kinetic but the bracelet and clasp were substandard for that type of watch and much less for a Seiko product. That watch is ruined by a cheap flimsy bracelet. There is no way the Mako's bracelet can be even remotely compared to the bracelet on the Seiko SKA379.

Now, if we all had paid over $350 for the Mako, OK well, you may have a point. But for $100-$132 I am not arguing with the Orient. Is it a perfect watch? No of course not, but for the price, quality and features, the Mako blows the vaunted Seiko Monster divers (As well as other sub $200 diver watches) out of the water IMHO.

I'm as surprised as anyone that I feel the Mako bracelet is cheaply made. The only watch I really have to compare it to is the SKA387 which has a much better bracelet and was slightly cheaper to purchase, I believe.

My Seiko must be miles ahead of the SKA379 that you looked at. If I didn't have that Seiko, I would undoubtedly be happier because I wouldn't have had anything to compare the Mako to. Surely my lack of experience of what other (junk) watches are available at this price point has me expecting too much of the Mako, but I can't help having a solid (although less pretty dial) Seiko in the same price range that has increased my expectations of what's possible.

The next watch I plan to purchase is the Orient Star WZ0071EL.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information