Purchased From: Orientwatchusa.com

DIMENSIONS

Width: 44.55 mm
    With Crown: 47.35 mm
    Lug Width: 22 mm, untapered
    Height (lug to lug): 51.50 mm
    Thickness: 13.20 mm

WHY I PURCHASED THIS WATCH

Truthfully, I wouldn't have ever considered buying a watch this large, due to my small wrist size. However, Orient's VIP discount earlier this month (50% off) allowed me to stray outside my comfort zone with less of a financial worry. Since I already had a black Mako, I decided to go with the blue Hogrider (nickname backstory here) this time, since it gets rave reviews from Mako owners.

QUALITY (fit, crystal, lume, bracelet)

Holding the nice Orient presentation box in hand, I could tell this was a "beefy" watch. Upon opening the box, I fell in love all over again with the dial after having viewed forum member Hogrider's pictures here repeatedly. Orient has a real knack for creating breathtaking dials. I thought my black Mako's dial looked awesome when I purchased it, but I like this one even more. I simply cannot get over how awesome this dial looks! The hour markers look awesome and I like the outlined date window.

The crown is NOT signed, an odd omission since the Mako's crown is signed. The day pusher is much smaller than the Mako's--I definitely prefer this smaller day pusher.

The bracelet is typical Orient fare, nice and solid, and an overall feeling of quality. It may not be the best bracelet ever created, but I've come to learn that at this price point, it is at or above all competition. It has 3 micro adjustments, which I like, but I wouldn't turn down a 4th micro adjustment. On the wrist, it feels like a very SOLID watch. This watch is as large as I'd ever (now) consider purchasing and has opened me up to a new variety of watches with less fear of them overwhelming me.

The bezel is a dream to turn. It is buttery smooth and feels very reassuring. This was (and continues to be) my number one complaint about the Mako whose bezel is very stiff and is an obvious quality control issue. I may have gotten unlucky with my Mako's bezel, but that is forgiven due to the Hogrider's awesome bezel!

The movement in this watch (the same as the Mako I believe) looks so smooth, it seems as if it is an 8 beat per second movement. While this watch doesn't officially hack, I noticed that when setting the time, if i kept my fingers on the crown, the second hand would stop. I'm not sure if this is typical, and I hope it's not causing any premature wear (?), but it is a nice surprise.

Now onto my biggest negative about this watch. The lume simply isn't up to snuff. The Mako's lume was fairly weak, but the Hogrider's lume appears even weaker. This isn't an important feature to me at all, but I'd still like it to be brighter and much longer lasting. I'm willing to overlook this minor quibble though since lume is fairly unimportant to me.

Hopefully others with a small wrist will not pass this watch up due to its size alone. It wears very nicely and doesn't look too blingy, IMHO. I look forward to looking for future purchases with a broader selection now that I know I can handle a watch this big. The price was simply unbelievable and I feel that I truly got a wonderful deal on this watch.

ACCURACY

My unscientific observation is that the watch currently runs about +/- 10 seconds per day--acceptable for an automatic in my opinion.

HIGHS

STUNNING dial
    Beautiful movement
    Smooth bezel
    Great price/value
    Smaller day pusher than Mako

LOWS

Very weak lume
    Crown not signed (Mako's is)

SCORES

Fit/finish: 9/10
    Crystal: 4/5
    Dial/Bezel: 5/5
    Lume: 2/5
    Bracelet/Strap: 4/5
    Accuracy: 5/5
    Value: 9/10
    Overall (not an average): 9/10

MY BACKGROUND

Here is some background information about me. This may help clarify my point of view and what shapes my opinions. If there is anything I can do to help you with more information about the watches in my reviews, if you’d like more photos, etc, please let me know and I’ll try to help.

I am a computer programmer/analyst from a very small town in central Wisconsin. I am a husband and father to two boys, ages 3 and 1. My interests include digital photography (Canon SLR’s), watches (Japanese mainly), Apple computers, cars (Japanese and German), and LED flashlights. I am a self-professed perfectionist and appreciate an extreme attention to detail and like to have a sense of value for my money. I believe this is what draws me primarily to Japanese watches. I have written my reviews in an attempt to provide information that I found difficult myself (at least before finding WUS) to obtain. I typically research a new watch purchase for about 20 hours in an attempt to make sure I’m happy with my purchase.

TECHNICAL INFO

My measurements were all performed with a digital caliper accurate down to .01 mm and rounded to the nearest .05 mm. I believe these to be as accurate of measurements as I have seen anywhere and may differ from official specs and other websites. For reference in the photos, I have approximately a 6.5 inch wrist.
    Last edited by moeharri; July 21st, 2009 at 04:01.
    (Review coming soon) Hamilton Jazzmaster Chronograph
    (Review coming soon) Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic

Re: Review: ORIENT BLUE "Hogrider" DADDY MAKO CEM75002D AUTOMATIC

Great review! And I have to agree on most points: the lume IS weaker than my previous Mako....I thought this was the "new/improved" version. I'm even considering sending this one off and having it lumed properly!
    Also, as you mention, it fits pretty well on a smallish wrist.

I have the Orange and really like it.

One question: I, too, like the small date pusher. But it has no screw in feature. With that said, how can it be a DIVER when the date pusher just pushes? Is there a gasket? I wonder?

And the price was a real winner!! Thanks for the review!

Mitch

Very nice review. Thanks for all the details and technical specs on your measurements and wrist size.
    -Robert
    Buy what you like, keep what you love, don't spend too much.
    As long as you follow those simple rules - you shouldn't listen to anyone about your watches.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Great look at the "hogrider." And it looks great on your 6.5" wrist....surprising as you say for a larger case. Thanks for the write-up
    "You've stolen my heart, yes You have, You've wiped away the stains, broke away the chains, yes You have!" Leeland

Excellent review. I have a few of questions on the Hogrider:

1. What is the going rate for it without the discount (and is the discount still available?);

2. I see that the day pusher is fairly small. how to you find it as compared to other orients? does it remain fairly unobtrusive?

3. About the bezel, What kind of mechanism does it have (bi-directional or unidirectional? 120 clicks or 60 clicks?). since you rave about it being buttery smooth, I'm guessing that it is using a 120 click unidirectional click spring mechanism from Seiko.

Thanks for elaborating.

Quote Originally Posted by Isthmus View Post
    Excellent review. I have a few of questions on the Hogrider:

1. What is the going rate for it without the discount (and is the discount still available?);

2. I see that the day pusher is fairly small. how to you find it as compared to other orients? does it remain fairly unobtrusive?

3. About the bezel, What kind of mechanism does it have (bi-directional or unidirectional? 120 clicks or 60 clicks?). since you rave about it being buttery smooth, I'm guessing that it is using a 120 click unidirectional click spring mechanism from Seiko.

Thanks for elaborating.
    It looks like the going rate is maybe $165 on the bay? I haven't looked anywhere else as this was impulse buy due to Hogrider's AWESOME photos and the VIP discount, which expired on 7/15, I believe. It has appeared as the Deal of the Day as well, but I don't recall the price--maybe $150.

I find the day pusher completely unobtrusive and all but invisible unless you're looking at the proper angle. When looking at the watch to see the time, I don't even notice the pusher on this watch. On the Mako, it's extremely noticeable and actually looks almost silly to me compared to the Hogrider.

I'll update my review, but it's a smooth 60 clicks, uni-directional. Of my small collection, only my SKA387 has the 120 click. The Hogrider has half the clicks, but is still very smooth and reassuring, especially compared to my Mako.

For now, I expect the Hogrider to get the most wrist time of any watch I own. We'll see how this plays out as the newness wears off, but I think I'm more excited at this point than I usually am after a new watch purchase.

Banned

This model retails for $250. it has been featured in a couple of DODs for $150. During the last VIP 50% off sale, you could get one for $125.

Here's my CE7500 on a german bund strap.

Quote Originally Posted by SSingh1975 View Post
    Here's my CE7500 on a german bund strap.

Looks very nice! Isn't this an awesome watch?!

Re: Review: ORIENT BLUE "HOGRIDER" CEM75002D AUTOMATIC

It was a nice day out today, so I thought I'd take a few photos in the sun. This proved more difficult than I had imagined , but it's better than nothing I guess

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information