Review: A truly unique timepiece - Orient Automatic Multi-Calendar
Like Tree8Likes
  • 7 Post By Kevin.nbt
  • 1 Post By MadMrB

Thread: Review: A truly unique timepiece - Orient Automatic Multi-Calendar

Review: A truly unique timepiece - Orient Automatic Multi-Calendar

I am pleased to present to all the good fellas at WUS with my first ever watch review. The subject in question will be the 'Orient Automatic Multi Year Calendar ref. EU0A005W'.

Background behind purchase

I got into watches a few months ago when, what I can best describe as an 'overwhelming urge to be inducted into the halls of real men wearing real watches' and bought my first Swiss piece at close to 2 grand this April and added another German piece for 4 grand 2 weeks later. Right now, I'm looking forward to getting the new Tudor Pelagos in blue.

While waiting, the itch to buy something struck again but due to finances (don't we all?), I decided to get something affordable and well-made and this particular Orient caught my eye while I was down at the AD browsing.

Case

This timepiece comes in a stainless steel case measuring 42 mm which sits just right on my wrist. It is polished all around with slightly elongated lugs that curves naturally with the bracelet. Thickness is also a very aesthetically pleasing 12 mm.

The crown at 3 o clock allows you to set the date on the first pull, and the time on the second. The turn is smooth and presented no issues. At 2 o clock, there is a pusher crown that toggles the awesome 'annual calendar', which I'll get to in a bit.

Bracelet

Simple stainless steel bracelet combining both brushed and polished links. Measuring 20 mm, it is 'chunky' enough without being too loud. The clasp is a simple fold-over brushed mechanism, which nicely contrasts the polished bracelet. The embossed logo livens things up a little.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/2r31XQB.jpg[/img

Dial

Now, we get to the main attraction.

I've since realized that there are countless models of this watch with many different dial designs (hour/minute markers, colours, placement of date window and many other little details) though the core calendar functions are still at 12 and 6 o clock.

To make sure that everything runs right at the calendar at 6 o clock, first, adjust the one at 12 o clock such that the current month is in line with the year displayed on the curved disc below it. According to Orient, the day/date function at 6 o clock will be accurate till 2031 (which is also the last year available on the disc at 12 o clock), which is quite remarkable.

There is also a leap year indicator though I am still unable to wrap my head around it but if they say it works, I reckon it will.

Moving down south, you get a very cool calendar display which not only tells you which day of the week is falling on which date, but also what the rest of the days/dates are for the rest of the month.

Ever encountered a situation where someone asks what date next Thursday is and everyone pulls out their phones to check? With this watch, all you have to do is glance for 2 seconds and you can proudly announce the answer. Legibility wise, it is fairly reasonable, what with the amount of information it has to present in such minute text. The ability to mentally calculate dates will make the reading a lot easier.

The date window is clearly displayed at 3 o clock and the Orient logo is prominent at 9 o clock.

The usage of square, rectangular and sword hour markers adds diversity and makes the dial stand out even from a distance.

Movement

It is surprisingly hard to find information about the movement in Orient watches online. In the manual, it says that an Orient movement beats within this watch but whether it's made fully in-house or an edited version of a pre-made movement is a mystery to me. If anyone could shed some light on this, I would be most appreciative.

That said, movement is automatic and that does it for me. I've not gotten to the stage where I'm obsessive about its time keeping qualities right down to the seconds but so far, it runs fine.

Conclusion

The Orient Automatic Multi-Calendar is a truly unique timepiece. This is the first watch I've seen that comes with such a calendar function and probably the only one?

Backed by the superior quality known in Japanese watches and coming at a price point of around USD 270, I see no reason why you should not get it if the complication appeals to you.

I hope you guys found this review to be useful. Thank you very much.

Last edited by Kevin.nbt; May 18th, 2015 at 14:49.

Re: Review: A truly unique timepiece - Orient Automatic Multi-Calendar

Great review, thanks for that. I had always wondered how the calendar fudnctions worked. Now I do.

Hey Jupiter6, glad you found the review useful.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

What do you think about the quality of the watch? I am looking at one that has the slide rule on the outside edge of the dial. about to pull the trigger any minute

Great review, this particular model and the white dial are stunning. I have recently ordered a similar green dial model and if, when it arrives, it looks anywhere near as good as yours appears in the photos I'll be very happy.
    Name:  2EU00002FW.jpg
Views: 2908
Size:  307.8 KB
    Dan156 likes this.

Hello all,

I recently got the same model in black, leather strap. Achingly beautiful. To clear up the multi-year feature:

Push the button at 2 o'clock to line up the year with the month that you need from that year. If it's a leap-year, use the alternate January and February, (highlighted). The days are now aligned to the correct dates.

Hope this helps,

Dan.

Just ordered a white dial and brown leather strap from Orient USA with 50% Black Friday sale. Awaiting arrival. Thanks for your review.

Thread Information