Homage of an homage: Type 48 Mod based on the Quad 10 (based on the IWC Mark 11)
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Homage of an homage: Type 48 Mod based on the Quad 10 (based on the IWC Mark 11)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Homage of an homage: Type 48 Mod based on the Quad 10 (based on the IWC Mark 11)

Hey guys,

I want to share my latest project: a MKII Type 48 dial and hands in a Hamilton Khaki Field Auto.

I have always liked the clean, legible design of the IWC Mark XI, but they are way out of my price range right now. And unfortunately the best homage, The MKII Quad 10 is long discontinued. So when I came across an O&W pilot's watch with the MKII Type 48 dial and hands, I immediately grabbed it.

The watch was great, but there was one small issue: 18mm lugs. I know this size is historically accurate, but most of straps are 20mm and the O&W case does not have the option of a fitted bracelet. So I started looking for another watch that I could swap the parts into.

I had owned a Hamilton Khaki Field Auto 38mm and thought that would be the perfect candidate. Unfortunately after sourcing one I realized that it was not going to be as easy as just swapping parts. The dial diameter of the Hamilton is 30mm while the MKII dial is 32mm, so that meant filing 1mm of material from the dial all the way around. I also swapped the Hamilton crown for a sterile crown. It was hard work, but I am very happy with the final product. I also have a MKII Type 53 set that may receive the same treatment.

Here is a quick iPhone shot. I'll post some more pictures when I have time to set up a real camera. Comments appreciated.

OmegaCosmicMan likes this.

Yao

Re: Homage of an homage: Type 48 Mod based on the Quad 10 (based on the IWC Mark 11)

Nice work! You are a brave man. Filing down the dial is a tricky task and normally just end badly with either unusable chipped edges or other damage to the dial.

Re: Homage of an homage: Type 48 Mod based on the Quad 10 (based on the IWC Mark 11)

Quote Originally Posted by Yao View Post
    Nice work! You are a brave man. Filing down the dial is a tricky task and normally just end badly with either unusable chipped edges or other damage to the dial.
    Thanks Bill. It doesn't get much better than a compliment from the man himself. It was slow going and there were a lot of practice dials before attempting it on my prized MKII dial. Although towards the end I did slip once with the dial, but it wasn't catastrophic. You might be able to see where i scraped the paint of the "8" marker line.
    Last edited by m.and; November 14th, 2011 at 00:25.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I love the Quad 10 so much. I'm dying to get one, for me it answers a similar need to the paradive. A historically important design that you can actually wear. I hope Bill reissues it one day. Ideally I'd love a case design based more on the JLC version than the IWC. It's just a slightly more graceful design. A JLC Mark 11 in decent shape is probably my ultimate grail watch. I wouldn't complain if it was exactly the same as the original quad 10 though. Also, I'm sure I could find the answer by digging through forum history, but does anyone know the origin of the name Quad 10?

wow.....you did a great job.....i love the way it all "works" together......

I really wish Bill would make a watch thats around 38 - even 40mm watch for people with smaller wrists... It hurts to admire so much of his releases and not be able to own one because they are all too big.
    TAG Heuer | Aquaracer 300m (WAN2110.RKA8328) [Purchased New - June 2011]
    Sinn | 556 (
    556.3670) [Purchased New - August 2011]

Yao

Quote Originally Posted by m.and View Post
    Thanks Bill. It doesn't get much better than a compliment from the man himself. It was slow going and there were a lot of practice dials before attempting it on my prized MKII dial. Although towards the end I did slip once with the dial, but it wasn't catastrophic. You might be able to see where i scraped the paint of the "8" marker line.
    Its still good work. I have an idea of how hard it was to do what you did. I modified a Luminox 3100 (paid someone else to do it) and the work on filing down a Sandy 660 (I know...sacrilege!) cost me more than the watch itself did. It turned out great but when I opened the watch to do something I could tell how hard it was to do based on all of the chips and rough edges that were fortunately covered up by the case opening. I ended up giving that watch to my brother as a present but feel the urge to take some time and re-make that one again for myself, using my own left over 660 dials.

Yao

Quote Originally Posted by Eric 0 View Post
    I love the Quad 10 so much. I'm dying to get one, for me it answers a similar need to the paradive. A historically important design that you can actually wear. I hope Bill reissues it one day. Ideally I'd love a case design based more on the JLC version than the IWC. It's just a slightly more graceful design. A JLC Mark 11 in decent shape is probably my ultimate grail watch. I wouldn't complain if it was exactly the same as the original quad 10 though. Also, I'm sure I could find the answer by digging through forum history, but does anyone know the origin of the name Quad 10?
    Well keep your eyes open for a project launching next year.....

Sorry to leave it like that. I can't answer more questions at this time as I am still working out the details but can't work on it more until next year because of all the work now. I can only give you a teaser.....

Thanks to all for the comments.

Its still good work. I have an idea of how hard it was to do what you did. I modified a Luminox 3100 (paid someone else to do it) and the work on filing down a Sandy 660 (I know...sacrilege!) cost me more than the watch itself did. It turned out great but when I opened the watch to do something I could tell how hard it was to do based on all of the chips and rough edges that were fortunately covered up by the case opening. I ended up giving that watch to my brother as a present but feel the urge to take some time and re-make that one again for myself, using my own left over 660 dials.
    It took a little over an hour to file it to the right diameter. I am sure it could be done in half the time with a lathe or a Dremel, but since I have neither I had to hand file it. I wanted to make sure I didn't go too far so I would file a little and test the fit and then file a little more. The edges are rough, but like you said they are covered up by the case opening. The dial paint didn't chip at all though, a testament to the quality workmanship of MKII parts.

Ever since the parts were discontinued I have been buying and hoarding all that I can. This watch is by far my favorite not only because of the design, but because of the work I put into it.

Well keep your eyes open for a project launching next year.....

Sorry to leave it like that. I can't answer more questions at this time as I am still working out the details but can't work on it more until next year because of all the work now. I can only give you a teaser.....
    Thanks for the teaser Bill. I am always impressed by anything from the MKII workbench. Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric 0 View Post
    Here's my Quad10. One of the last 10 Bill made before the model was discontinued.

Under 10X loupe it is perfect. Dial, hands, datewheel. Perfect.

Cleans Up and MHe225 like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information