WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

The Homage and The Homaged

2K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  yankeexpress 
#1 ·
I've been thinking about what it would be like as a MkII owner to also own the watch that my MkII pays homage to. I don't happen to, but I believe there are some members here who are in this situation.

For those of you who are, how does having both the homage and the homaged change your MkII ownership experience? I'm curious to hear your perspective. Thanks for your thoughts!

See less See more
#3 ·
I had the original Kingston Sub, but also own a 1680 Submariner. (Granted the Kingston paid homage to the 6538). I thought it would scratch the itch for a nearly unobtainable 6538 and/or provide respite for my 1680. Sadly, for me, it did neither. Don't get me wrong, Bill makes great stuff, but it just wasn't the same, and decided to catch and release the Kingston, and still wear my 1972 Submariner 1680 instead.

I also own a 1675 GMT Master, and as a result had no interest in going down the same road as above^ with the Key West.

Funny thing is I am PRO Homage despite having the real deal's. I think they satisfy a want at more realistic price points. Also if you lose it, or bang it up, it is not as big of a deal. Homage's, in away, are really the "Real" Tool Watches these days.

#4 ·
I'll can play, though some of these photos are old and I've cycled through several of these watches.. I don't have a problem with homages done right and am a fan of the MkII brand ethos.

A few pics comparing the Hawkinge with a IWC Mark XII (a comparison with the JLC Mark XI is probably more apt). In terms of size the differences are the thickness and lug length.

I don't have any side-by-side photos of the Paradive RTW and the Benrus Type II, but here's a photo next to the Hawkinge showing the relatively smaller size of the original with 18-19mm fixed lugs. I compare the Paradive RTW to the Adanac version I had because the case size, thickness and 20mm lug width are similarly larger and wear flatter on the wrist.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Gauge Fashion accessory

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Watch Analog watch Black Watch accessory Strap

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Wrist

#5 ·
Like Freelance, I'm pro-homage as a practical alternative to wearing an irreplaceable &/or fragile original. To that end, I bought a Paradive to pinch hit for my Benrus Type II in rough conditions & to serve as an alternative to buying an original Type I. So far, so good. If I ever get around to getting an original Mk 11, my non-date Hawkinge will do the same duty. Same goes for my Key West; I did once have a 1675 GMT-Master & though it's highly unlikely that I would ever get a 6542 (talk about valuable & fragile), I could eventually get another GMT-Master.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.