How shockproof is the cruxible?
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: How shockproof is the cruxible?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

How shockproof is the cruxible?

I'm asking here because the Mk II customer support didn't want to answer my question and sent me here instead.

So here goes:
    As far as I know, mechanical watches aren't very fond of activities that could give them hard shocks, like chopping wood.
    I'm looking at the cruxible or the hellion as I like the design, and I think it would be a cool watch for field and forest.
    As that kind of use would involve actual wood chopping I was wondering wether the mentioned watches has any form of shock proofing or if I should take the watch of while chopping wood.
    Or even better, if I am wrong all together, and a bit of shocks really doesn't damage mechanical watches.
    I don't know if there is differences between NE15 and other movements like ETAxxxx

Any enlightenment would be welcome

PS: that became a lot longer question than I had planned, but I hope it at least was understandable

Re: How shockproof is the cruxible?

I wouldn't chop wood with a mechanical watch strapped to my wrist, regardless of the brand and/or manufacturer of the movement ticking away inside. That's how I "broke" my first Rolex...

Added in edit: the Rolex is fine - still providing Yeoman's service 30 years later, but I had to have it repaired and it was gone for a couple of weeks. Ah, the good old days when I could take a watch into any jewellery store in my small town and an in-house watchmaker could look at my watch. Today the closest watchmakers are a 3 hour drive away...
    Bøygen likes this.

Ok, so no wood chopping then.
    But how is the cruxible compared to other field watches, for example Hamilton Khaki Field?
    Anyone with experience to share?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I suppose the Hamilton and the Cruxible are more or less the same when it comes to sturdiness. But, ask yourself: when was the last time you've seen a mechanical watch being worn by people during real tough situations: troops in Afghanistan, Iraq. Divers going down maintaining oil rigs etc. They all wear Sunnto or Casio watches. When you're hiking or camping, a mechanical watch will work perfectly for you. When you switch to -let's say- mountain biking on rock-trails, however...

I don't risk my mechanical watches. I use a cheap Casio instead.
    Darwin and Rickster27b like this.

What's the point in having a cool watch if you don't dare to wear it?
    Although I see your point, I just don't agree 100%.

First, I know people who have been troops in Afghanistan and other similar places, and it's not uncommon that they have and use very nice watches, like Omega SMP or Rolex subs. So no, they don't all wear Suunto or Casio.

Where I agree, is that I don't want to bang up my Tudor that I use daily too much, so it would be nice to have something cool that I'm not worried about.
    I'm not worried about my SKX, and my son loves banging it in the floor. Probably not healthy for the watch, but it gives him joy. (it would be interesting to know how bad it is though...)
    So a Cruxible, Hamilton or some other "not to expensive" field watch that I wouldn’t worry to much about would be nice. Knowing that it really could take a beating would be even better
    LosAngelesTimer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bøygen View Post
    What's the point in having a cool watch if you don't dare to wear it?
    Although I see your point, I just don't agree 100%.

First, I know people who have been troops in Afghanistan and other similar places, and it's not uncommon that they have and use very nice watches, like Omega SMP or Rolex subs. So no, they don't all wear Suunto or Casio.

Where I agree, is that I don't want to bang up my Tudor that I use daily too much, so it would be nice to have something cool that I'm not worried about.
    I'm not worried about my SKX, and my son loves banging it in the floor. Probably not healthy for the watch, but it gives him joy. (it would be interesting to know how bad it is though...)
    So a Cruxible, Hamilton or some other "not to expensive" field watch that I wouldn’t worry to much about would be nice. Knowing that it really could take a beating would be even better
    I agree w/Thieuster; it's not about being to afraid to wear your cool watch, it's about your tolerance for risk. If your SKX can survive being banged on the floor by your son, a Cruxible should, too, but then so would your Tudor. Whether you'll like what it looks like afterwards (or be willing to pay for necessary service if the accuracy is affected) is up to you. The Cruxible/Hawkinge, Hamilton Khaki, Archimede Outdoor, & other "field watches" all have comparable resistance to shock (though there are varying levels of water resistance), but at the end of the day they all have traditional mechanical movements which aren't as tough as a solid-state Casio or analog quartz (which have fewer moving parts). Even if the movement still functions, repeated shocks/impacts will eventually take a toll. Movements today are just as, if not more, tough than they were back in the 1960s, for example, when soldiers still routinely wore mechanical watches into combat, but like Darwin posted, it's not as easy to get a mechanical watch serviced nowadays.

In my experience, most modern field watches, including MkII models, are really about utilitarian/military-inspired styling & design, & are not inherently tougher than say a dive watch from the same brand w/the same movements (& often will be less tough if you take water resistance into account). Unless the case metal is hardened, like on the Archimede Outdoor models, Sinn, or Damasko, field watches are made of the same materials as dressier models, they're usually just finished in a way (matte, bead-blasted, etc.) that doesn't show scratches & dings as clearly.
    TJ Boogie likes this.
    ------------------------------------

(Almost) every watch a tool watch.

I can't say I've been in those front states. I depend on seeing pictures. And that's where I've not seen a high-end watch on soldiers' wrists. Only the prementioned Suuntos and Casios. But, as always, correct me when I'm wrong!

Seiko SKX is always a safe bet: not too expensive and rather sturdy. I own a Citizen Promaster BN0151-17L. I rate that watch even higher than an SKX for extreme adventures

I can't say I've been in those front postitions... I depend on seeing pictures. And that's where I've not seen a high-end watch on soldiers' wrists. Only the prementioned Suuntos and Casios. But, as always, correct me when I'm wrong!

Seiko SKX is always a safe bet: not too expensive and rather sturdy. I own a Citizen Promaster BN0151-17L. I rate that watch even higher than an SKX for extreme adventures

I know the SKX is a safe bet, that's why it's my beater
    But is there any reason to think that it is more or less shockproof than the cruxible (or hamilton or whatever)

The cruxible and the SKX both have movements from Seiko right?
    I NE15 is a never movement, but the 7s26 is perhaps more sturdy? I'm really just speculating here, so if someone has any real knowledge, please chime in

I was sent here by the MKII customer support, so I was actually hoping that someone representing MKII was here reading the forum....

On MK II's website, About Page:

Quality
    For a piece to become timeless it has to survive the test of time from a design as well as a functional aspect. This is why we focus on quality and execution. A reputation built on an unrelenting commitment to quality is why our watches have found their way to Afghanistan, Iraq, and other equally pleasant locales. Attention to the details invites customers to build a lasting relationship with a timepiece. A well designed tool will be used. A trusted tool is something that becomes a part of you.

I'd expect the Cruxible to be able to make its way to Iraq and Afghanistan during wartime, at least that's the implication about any Mk II? I'm surprised "customer support" sent you here, instead of answering the question. If they can't/won't answer the question, who can? Huh... Not good.
    Best Regards,

--Todd

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information