WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Key West Gilt or No?

5K views 46 replies 22 participants last post by  TheDude 
#1 ·
Just curious about those waiting for the Key West what choice of design are you thinking of choosing? I like the Pepsi with the black face and the guilt. Not sure if there's a no date option? So what's your pick? Thanks.

#2 · (Edited)
No guilt here. Proud to be a Mk II owner. ;-)

... Black, gilt, Pepsi like the original for me.

#12 ·
:think: I know that that One of them will be gilt for sure.

--It will look something like this...

View attachment 3519994

The appearance of the bezel colors and the way they balance and/or counter the appearance of the hands and dials and lume has my second choice up in the air right now....

(BTW - I am on board for two watches for sure....) :-!

--- Best ---

|>|>
Sure. Just two watches. :roll:

Yellow Text Emoticon

#17 ·
100% black dial, gilt, Pepsi por me...

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

#18 ·
Most of the real ones you're likely to see today have matte service replacement dials. However I plan to get gilt as that was the original configuration. Silver hands though. Also more accurate.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

#23 ·
I have been seriously considering the black/silver/pepsi configuration just because my impulse is to consider this more "accurate" but when I see examples like this, I have to go gilt. Plus, I don't own another MKII with any gilt details, so I don't think even pictures of the first few finished products are going to sway me.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

#27 ·
I have been seriously considering the black/silver/pepsi configuration just because my impulse is to consider this more "accurate" but when I see examples like this, I have to go gilt. Plus, I don't own another MKII with any gilt details, so I don't think even pictures of the first few finished products are going to sway me.

View attachment 3539434
That probably was what it shipped with. According to Stefano, these could have a white seconds hand with/without a large lollypop, silver metal hour/minute, and gilt dial.

Seconds hands could be silver too and judging by what I've seen far more common.

Reactions: Chromejob
#24 ·
When I look at the black dial w/ pepsi bezel, call me crazy but the non-gilt dial seems to look more… clean? Appealing? I don't know - I just like the look of it more than the gilt on pepsi. Will need to see actual production pieces I guess.

#35 ·
When I look at the black dial w/ pepsi bezel, call me crazy but the non-gilt dial seems to look more… clean? Appealing? I don't know - I just like the look of it more than the gilt on pepsi. Will need to see actual production pieces I guess.
Yeah i agree it looks more clean. Although I think I have made my choice, the non-gilt just looks so crisp and keeps on making me doubt myself on the gilt.
However, I do not have a gilt mkii atm and some pics of the kingston make me druel. Soooooooo I'm just going to have to decide when the email comes!!

#28 ·
Unless something changes dramatically, I'm going with the white dial/ Pepsi bezel combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JFingers
#29 ·
So, at risk of sounding like a buffoon, I'm a bit confused as to people's use of the term "gilt" I understand in red to the kingston, it means that the dial printing is a gold tone (or gold plated or what have you). However, when I see people posting pictures of vintage rolexes and referencing dials and hands as "gilt" to me often times it just looks like the lume and paint have gained patina, rather than been printed originally in that color.

The difference is highlighted to me by vintage watches where the lume and dial color are a bit faded IR brown, but the numbers on the bezel are equally faded, and match the shade of color of the dial. In that case, to me it indicates that the brownish shade of the dial is not actually "gilt" but rather naturally patina'd over time from an original cor that was perhaps more whitish....

Does this make sense or am I talking nonsense?

(Pic unrelated)

#31 · (Edited)
No, you're right about the hands being silver in most cases. That's what you're seeing with the GMT 6542 hands. However, some models like the Bond sub also had yellow gold hands. The Kingston does as well...

The dial printing being gold is what makes a dial gilt.

Yellowing or darkening of the lume is "patina".

If a dial has faded to brown (best case) or has water damage (worst case) that's referred to as a "tropical" dial.

Reactions: Chromejob
#30 · (Edited)
#39 ·
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one here that has this opinion....don't get me wrong, after acquiring a gilt kingston, I can attest to the fact that it is a unique one of a kind dial. It looks great with the black bond bezel. But for my tastes I don't know that a blue-red bezel with a black dial matches with the gilt "color". Still holding out to see if the white gilt looks like the unicorn white gilt kingston dial picture that's out there. That looks like it may work with a pepsi bezel (I'm pretty set on the pepsi bezel at least)

#37 ·
Keep something mind with gilt. It's extremely hard to really get the look/feel of it until it's on your wrist. It's not printing gold color. It's actually a mirror gold plating. Because of its reflective nature, to color changes with, well any light. If it's looks "yellowish" in a picture, there will be 4 others where it looks less. I really wish everyone had the means to see one first. It's truly amazing!! I'm NOT a gold kind of guy. I have a few very wonderful gold watches that get zero wrist time because I just don't know how to wear. The Kingston's gilt is just so good and so captivating that it makes no difference. It's that's good.

I'm gilt for sure! That said, it has me wonder what a silver gilt plated dial would look like.

On that point, what makes MKII so different from all the others is this very dial when it comes to homages. When you team a set of gold plated hands with a gold plated dial, it's a symphony of awesomeness. Then you see others try to get the same effect with gold plated hands and printed "gold" markings and it looks off. Mismatched.

#38 ·
I happen to be sitting up in bed with my ipad, so I thought I'd try to demonstrate.

The sand-blasted silver gilt dial of the 3-6-9 Nassau, the off-white shows up in many angles of light. It's not polished. The polished gilt of the Kingston does not show up in all light, it has to reflect to be seen. In the second video, look at the name "Kingston" under the depth rating, and the Mk II logo. See how they play peek-a-boo?

#41 ·
In the design thread, man, several posts worth.

#46 ·
I too am waiting for a few more pics. I want to go with the white/gilt dial, but I'm somewhat reluctant as I know the black gilt will be more versatile. Funny how we agonie over these things, but there's something about the white being so rare, just makes it awesome!

#47 ·
Funny how most of the black 6542 are matte now due to dial replacement, it almost seems more fitting... I'm getting gilt anyway but there's something about the matte on the Nassau - I almost like it better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.