MKII Discussed on latest The Grey NATO
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: MKII Discussed on latest The Grey NATO

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Just got a notification from HODINKEE that the latest episode of The Grey NATO podcast. I have not listened put it has something to do with homages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Re: MKII Discussed on latest The Grey NATO

Interesting, thanks for pointing it out. Spoiler alert: They don't speak too kindly of mkii overall, in my opinion. In particular, they seem annoyed by the likes of the Kingston, Nassau and P300, as they are too close to replicas of Rolex and Omega (they don't talk much about the quality, only the designs). They are more OK with the Hawkinge and Paradive. I for one, disagree with their 'homage' opinions...I own the P300 and Nassau and love them both without feeling 'phony'.
    Last edited by Omegatron24; 2 Weeks Ago at 22:40. Reason: clarification
    OmegaCosmicMan likes this.

I found it a good discussion, and worth a listen. I've picked up hints before from previous episodes their opinions on homages are not positive. I do appreciate J. Heaton tried to see perspectives from both sides of the argument. J. Stacey was more rigid in his stance. They mentioned why it's a tough topic as there are no clear rules as to why some homages are acceptable and others not. That approval and disapproval of course can vary by individual. It's funny while they've consistently advised to buy and wear what you like, the undertone was buy and wear what you like, as long as it's not a homage haha. Regardless of where people fall in this debate, I love and wear my MKII homages proudly whether others approve or not.

If TGN does a follow up episode after hearing from homage watchmakers and homage owners, I'd certainly tune in.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeasure View Post
    I found it a good discussion, and worth a listen. I've picked up hints before from previous episodes their opinions on homages are not positive. I do appreciate J. Heaton tried to see perspectives from both sides of the argument. J. Stacey was more rigid in his stance. They mentioned why it's a tough topic as there are no clear rules as to why some homages are acceptable and others not. That approval and disapproval of course can vary by individual. It's funny while they've consistently advised to buy and wear what you like, the undertone was buy and wear what you like, as long as it's not a homage haha. Regardless of where people fall in this debate, I love and wear my MKII homages proudly whether others approve or not.

If TGN does a follow up episode after hearing from homage watchmakers and homage owners, I'd certainly tune in.
    I've always enjoyed the grey Nato but the last few have bored me. For instance they went off on a tangent on how much they disliked celebrities being reps for brands and big parties and stuff. And then described how much they like a guy climbing mountains with a bremont. They clearly didn't step back and think before they spoke to that stuff. Meaning that because they think claiming a rock is cool that's ok for a brand to do, but because they don't like celebrities and parties that's lame? In general they are deeper in with hodinkee and thus out of touch with the average consumer.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeasure View Post
    They could just read Billís blog..

https://www.mkiiwatches.com/category...53ikno0b5zqu4h

I was listening wearing my Steiny OVM39. I also recently picked up the Silver (MWW) version. TGN, let me know when I can get a reliable Milsub 5517 for sub $100K... Until then Iíll be homage-diving my heart out. Ok, who wants to sell a Fulcrum?

The TGN guys have been consistent in their opinions, they like tool watches doing tool watch stuff. Climbing mountains and deep diving are gray for watches, parties and celebrities are not. From the podcast they seem to have a hard dislike Rolex homage watches, but other homage watches arenít so bad. A lot of what they said about homage watches doesnít fit my situation (I own sub and gmt homage watches, and also own a sub and gmt). Still, theyíre entitled to their opinions about it.

A quick thought from MKII. These came from their IG stories.

IG: th3measure

I actually sent an email in after the show but who knows if they will respond. The "issue" with homage watches seems to only be an issue when its about 1 brand-Rolex. Outside of that its hard to come up with a watch design that isnt inspired by something else or is a standard design. Take the field watch for example-more so than divers the field watch style and aesthetic is copied by just about every brand. From timex to hamilton and beyond you can get what amounts to the same watch-dial, hands, wr, etc- at every price point but no one says "your timex is just a homage to a hamilton!". Same with aviation watches- a bunch of brands make their own take on the model and most look alike. The thing is for Dive watches and GMT Rolex pretty much created the genre/look and from there every other brand has either coped it because its the aesthetic of the style or tried to take their own approach to it. some have done well and some have failed at it.

Point is-why is it ok for multiple brands to produce near identical looking pilot,field,etc watches yet when it comes to GMT and Dive then the holy grail of aesthetic is not to be touched? Why is it ok if I want a pilots watch to get a Laco and forget the IWC? or why is it ok to get a timex expedition and forget the hamilton? but if I want a dive watch or GMT that looks like a sub or GMT well then im just a fake, phony, and my wrist says I wish I had the "real" thing?

Makes no sense to me. Rolex created the look and props to them. but if youre talking "homage" then a Tudor is the original and ultimate homage-created by brand itself- for "entry level" prices. Is Tudor the only allowable homage? if so thats laughable at best.

Quote Originally Posted by redhed18 View Post
    They could just read Bill’s blog..

https://www.mkiiwatches.com/category...53ikno0b5zqu4h

I was listening wearing my Steiny OVM39. I also recently picked up the Silver (MWW) version. TGN, let me know when I can get a reliable Milsub 5517 for sub $100K... Until then I’ll be homage-diving my heart out. Ok, who wants to sell a Fulcrum?
    I also have no issue w/homages in general or, obviously as a MkII owner, w/MkII's business model. However, I do wish that MkII would use fewer skeuomorphic/non-functional details in their watches that contradict Bill's own "Do It Right Or Not At All" credo, e.g., unidirectional bezel on the Key West, non-functional thickness of the Hawkinge & Key West, overall size of the Paradive, etc.
    OmegaCosmicMan likes this.
    ------------------------------------

(Almost) every watch a tool watch.

Quote Originally Posted by stolen-gmt-master View Post
    I also have no issue w/homages in general or, obviously as a MkII owner, w/MkII's business model. However, I do wish that MkII would use fewer skeuomorphic/non-functional details in their watches that contradict Bill's own "Do It Right Or Not At All" credo, e.g., unidirectional bezel on the Key West, non-functional thickness of the Hawkinge & Key West, overall size of the Paradive, etc.
    Agree here. I wanted to add an MKII watch for a while with the only caveat being I didnít want a brand-specific homage. However when the Paradiver, Hawkinge, and Cruxible came in so thick (and in the Paradiverís case, so large) I gave up waiting.
    stolen-gmt-master likes this.
    Seiko Spring Drive was my wedding watch, Rolex Datejust was my anniversary watch, but I call Oris home.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information