Question: Kingston case material

Thread: Question: Kingston case material

Question: Kingston case material

Hi guys,

Was wondering what's the material used in the Kingston case and crown?

Steel.
    Homage watches democratize history for the common wrist.

Cheers! James

Re: Question: Kingston case material

Quote Originally Posted by Fullers1845 View Post
    Steel.
    I know... but what kind, 316L? or another one?
    Cause Im having rashes where the crown hits the skin...
    Last edited by eals112; April 22nd, 2012 at 04:13.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by eals112 View Post
    I know... but what kind, 316L? or another one?
    Cause Im having rashes where the crown hits the skin...
    Does steel cause rashes?

No expert, but doubt it's the steel. However, check the gasket area near the crown for an irritant, possibly something there (unlikely, but possible).
    Cpotters

The Line-up:

Tudor 7928, Bunch of beat-up old Rolexes, MKII Custom Stingray 50, MKII LRRP, MKII TR-1000, MKII Kingston, Benrus Type I, Benrus Ultra-deep Super-compressor plus other super-Cs, 60's Zodiac Seawolfand Super Seawolf, Breitling Chronomat, ...

and lots of other vintage stuff.

Perhaps it is the essence of vodka, vermouth and olives (one, not two) with which this watch is infused which is causing the allergic reaction.

Though I would assume that if a combination of the above ingested orally is benign that it might be something else.

Cheers - Jeff C

Kingston uses 316L. Some folks are allergic to the nickel in this grade but since almost all companies use 316L steel for their cases it’s not likely this is your problem (unless your other watches are giving you the same trouble). Have you tried giving it a good scrub with hydrogen peroxide? Maybe there's some trace residue/oils left on the case from the manufacturing process that's irritating you. If you go this route remember to screw the crown down first!

Agree with ljb187, it's not the s/s per se, it's the nickel content that gives folks problems. For some reason years ago, the steel in my Rolex 1680 caused my skin under the watch to get really red, and also sometimes turn green! I was working around a lot of petroleum products at the time, and it could have been the diesel, or possibly grease, but it definitely was a problem. The older Rolex watches used a different steel than the newer ones. You could also try wearing it on a NATO, which would get the watch up away from your wrist a tad. Strange that it is only the crown, and not the whole caseback and bracelet that are causing the problem.
    Divers - Pre Sub Doxa 300m Dive Watch - Doxa Sub 300T Professional (US Divers) - Ocean7 LM-7 Ploprof - Ocean7 LM-7 Plorof Pro Titanium -Rolex 1665 SD-Rolex 1680 -Rolex 16610 Submariner - MKII Stingray 60 - MKII Kingston Gilt/non date - MKII Kingston Gilt/Date - Orthos 300 Commander
    Others- MKII Key West GMT(on the way) - Rolex GMT 16750 - IWC Calatrava - Ocean7 LM-5 GMT- Maurice Lacroix Calendrier Retrograde - Longines Hour Angle Lindberg - Tudor "Big Block" Chrono

Myla's Favorite's Doxa Sub 200 Coralline, Omega Seamaster 120 - Rolex Datejust 18k/SS - Chronosport Panther - Maurice Lacroix - Omega 14k Mesh - Tag Heuer TT Aquaracer

Thread Information