1200T Precision

Thread: 1200T Precision

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

1200T Precision

Hi Folks,

Been lurking here for what seems a couple of years now. I'm about to pull the trigger on a 1200T.

What I'm curious about is the precision of the 1200T's ... my only real automatic experience is with a Seiko Orange Knight (had to make sure I was as much an Orange fan as I thought)

It's been a bit funky and I may have just had a dud.

How good is the time and reliability of the 1200T's?

Thanks,
    Shane

Re: 1200T Precision

Quote Originally Posted by whtwlf View Post
    Hi Folks,

Been lurking here for what seems a couple of years now. I'm about to pull the trigger on a 1200T.

What I'm curious about is the precision of the 1200T's ... my only real automatic experience is with a Seiko Orange Knight (had to make sure I was as much an Orange fan as I thought)

It's been a bit funky and I may have just had a dud.

How good is the time and reliability of the 1200T's?

Thanks,
    Shane
    The heart of the 1200 is an ETA 2842, which is probably the most widely used Swiss automatic movement in the world, which has no fundamental design problems.

If you get a model which isn't perfect out of the box, it shouldn't be hard to find a watchmaker to regulate it.

My SUB 1200T DWL runs 3 1/2 seconds fast every 24 hours. That is outstanding "out of the tube" accuracy for a Swiss Automatic.

The first Doxa I bought 8 years ago (original SUB 300T Re-Issue) was my first Swiss Automatic. I was used to cheap quartz battery powered watches that kept perfect time. It took me a little while to realize that a mechanical watch is an amazing piece a tiny machinery and that automatics are even more amazing.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

My 1200T only loses about 20 seconds per week. Best automatic I have. I guess it doesn't get any better than that.
    Last edited by ceebee; May 29th, 2010 at 13:57.

That's the thing with these automatic watches. The times vary widely all over the place. All my watches can range anywhere from about -4 sec/day to as much as +16 sec/day.

So it's really hard to tell you what kind of time you'll see if you buy one. However, you can be assured that it will still be a pretty darn close to accurate watch regardless.
    DOXA Sub 1200T NUMA 01/50

Saving the world one block of C-4 at a time!
    EOD is more than a job in the military. It's a lifestyle.

Metropolitan Detroit (Or is it South Florida again?)

Not uncommon for DOXA's to arrive with better than average time adjustment (keeping to within a few seconds a day). All 2824 based watches should be capable of this level of timekeeping, but few manufacturers regulate them this well before delivery. That said, I'd think within 30 seconds to be acceptable, and I'd wait for further adjustment for a few months to allow it to settle, but at that point I'd probably have it regulated to a closer adjustment.

A note on "accuracy", vs. adjustment. The accuracy of a watch movement is measured in it's consistency. Is it consistently 10 seconds fast per day (when in the same position or circumstances)? Or does it vary from +5 to -8? The former is an accurate watch, that may be able to be adjusted to closer timekeeping, while the latter has a large variance and is not performing as accurately (keep in mind position, this is why COSC tests them in five positions, there may be a significant variance from one position to another if left undisturbed).

Overall, Seiko movements are generally built like tanks and will take a lot of punishment. But they are notoriously hard to regulate well in comparrison to the venerable 2824.
    Regards, T Bone.

DOXA Forum and Sales Corner Moderator

Thanks Guys,

I had a quick email exchange with Doxa and ended up pulling the trigger on a 1200T DWL.

It should ship Wednesday.

I'll have to get some nice pics when it arrives with the book.

Cheers again,
    Shane

Congrats! hope you enjoy the watch.
    Here's a pic while you wait for yours

*Seiko skx-007; *Seiko BM; *Orient CFT00004B; *Doxa sub 1200t DWL; *Zodiac ZO7008; *G-Shock DW-5600MS

Thanks Jay, it sure does photograph nice.

Be interesting to see how it fits on my 7.5in wrist. The Orange Knight has worn nicely so I'm guessing it will be similar.

Cheers,
    Shane

Metropolitan Detroit (Or is it South Florida again?)

Quote Originally Posted by whtwlf View Post
    Thanks Jay, it sure does photograph nice.

Be interesting to see how it fits on my 7.5in wrist. The Orange Knight has worn nicely so I'm guessing it will be similar.

Cheers,
    Shane
    I can't speak for the 7.5 inch wrist, but here you can see it on my 7.25 inch wrist (foreground). The other two are two of the Legends themselves, Ralph Wilbanks (center) and David Trotter (rear) Pic taken in Ann Arbor at the Great Lakes Shipwreck Film Festival.

Regards, T Bone.

DOXA Forum and Sales Corner Moderator

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information