1904 Doxa Watch

Thread: 1904 Doxa Watch

1904 Doxa Watch

Hi,

I have a 1904 Doxa Watch, it's the pocket version the one you wear with a chain, it has an stamp "metalargent" on it's back and some engraves on it's back.
    I'll post some pics later (now i'm at work).
    I wish to sell it and i wan't an expert advise, how much i can get on it.

Thanks.

Re: 1904 Doxa Watch

The usual answer is "whatever someone is willing to pay" which while exactly true, is probably not what you want. As ever though, for there to be a general consensus on the value of something, there has to be a reasonably liquid market in that 'something'. In effect, a steady stream of "votes" ( puchases ) informs as to its value.

With very old watches this liquidity is not there, save for a few very well known brands, and even for these, an auction valuation may not be very accurate.

For an example :

On a well known Japanese auction site right now, a 1906 Doxa pocket watch, in good condition and engraved with "Milan Gold Medal" is listed at JPY 95000 ( about 1000 US dollars ) whereas a 1930's Doxa in less good condition is listed at JPY 1000 ( about 10 US dollars ).

In short, there is unlikely to be an agreed price of your watch as the sales volume is too small to make an educated statment. As market demand drives any one price, perhaps try an auction and set a minimum that _you_ would be happy to receive. Then let the market inform you...

TT

The value of your watch hinges on many things to include age, condition and even provenance. The inscriptions on the case back are almost useless in narrowing down the age since there can be a variance of over 20 years within the more common models.

Case in point: Doxa proudly inscribed tributes to the five gold medals they garnered at the Exposition Internationale de Milan (Italy) in 1905 (Medaille D'or Milan), and the Hors Concours (beyond competition) award at the Exposition in Liege (Belgium) in 1905. Those inscriptions were used on Doxa pocket watches well into the 1920s. After 1925 Doxa added another inscription: Membre Du Jury Paris - 1925, which was used until WWII.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Attached Images Attached Images

Chuck Norris doesn't wear a watch...HE decides what time it is.

Ok, then who can tell me more about the history of this watch, i've received it from my uncle 3 years ago before he died, he said he bought it after the second world war from someone.

It has an serial number, what can u tell me more about this watch?
    year of fabrication?
    place of production?
    mechanism?

it's functional.

thanks.

PS:maybe the subject date is wrong and i appologies, but i saw a 1905 on the back of the clock and i asumed that it was made in 1904
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by elentirmo View Post
    Ok, then who can tell me more about the history of this watch, i've received it from my uncle 3 years ago before he died, he said he bought it after the second world war from someone.

It has an serial number, what can u tell me more about this watch?
    year of fabrication?
    place of production?
    mechanism?

it's functional.

thanks.

PS:maybe the subject date is wrong and i appologies, but i saw a 1905 on the back of the clock and i asumed that it was made in 1904
    Like I said, your watch dates between 1905 and 1925. Pretty hard to be more specific since Doxa no longer has records going back that far.

Since this is a Doxa dive watch forum you may have better luck with then Vintage and Pocket Watch forum here: https://forums.watchuseek.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11

Be careful though, you don't want your post to sound like a "Wanted to Sell" post. It is a violation of the rules and can result in deletion and account suspension.

Metropolitan Detroit (Or is it South Florida again?)

One last note on the Vintage Forum... they've also got a policy against "value" posts, so don't even ask there. But they may have some other info to benefit you
    Regards, T Bone.

DOXA Forum and Sales Corner Moderator

Thread Information