2 questions before i order?

Thread: 2 questions before i order?

2 questions before i order?

1. I am very nearly going to order the 800TI my question is about the tritium tubes, have i read somewhere that it is going to become illegal for these to be exported outside the US or something along those lines, ie when i travel abroad will i have problems going through customs with this watch with the tritium tubes?

2. How come all the watches up to 5000T dont have an helium escape valve? eg the 750T or 800TI dont but something like the Omega seamaster does and that only goes down to a depth of 300m, trivial i know but just thought i would ask.

Cheers

Lee

Re: 2 questions before i order?

Hey Lee

I think you must be meaning old legislation that placed a cap on the tritium radiation level, this was quite some time ago, these new ones are below the limit. Quite often you see vintage dials with "T<25" which shows they were within the law. Somebody feel free to give a more technical description!

The HRV gas valve is only really of use for extreme commercial diving when a guy is kept in a pressure tank for some time - saturation diving - so is really a gimmick on a typical user's dive watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Law4778 View Post
    1. I am very nearly going to order the 800TI my question is about the tritium tubes, have i read somewhere that it is going to become illegal for these to be exported outside the US or something along those lines, ie when i travel abroad will i have problems going through customs with this watch with the tritium tubes?

2. How come all the watches up to 5000T dont have an helium escape valve? eg the 750T or 800TI dont but something like the Omega seamaster does and that only goes down to a depth of 300m, trivial i know but just thought i would ask.

Cheers

Lee
    Lee,

I can't answer question 1 but for 2 you really will need to buy the book - Just kidding HRV is really only for SAT divers. Normally aspirated Scuba folk don't need it as you will never stay long enough or deep enough to accumulate any significant amounts of helium in your watch. So basically it is more a 'marketing" thing. As Doxa had the first publicly available watch with a HRV (The Conquistador - see my site www.doxa300t.com for review etc), it was something that people asked for over the last few years. The 5000T was the answer to those requests and harked back almost 40 years to the 300T Conquistador.

hope that helps

Pete

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

There are rules regarding importation to US, but no bans. For example Ball and Marathon both use Tritium tubes and are available in US.

David has it right about HRVs. They are only used in Saturation diving where Diver and watch are subjected to Helium under high pressure for prolonged periods of time. This pressurizes the watch because the seals are permeable to the tiny Helium molecule. This can literally cause the watch to explode unless there is a release valve. So unless you're a professional it's just an unnecessary gadget. If anything it is just another point of entry on the watch case.

Joe
    Doxa 600T Pro
    Doxa 1000T Pro
    Doxa 750T Searambler
    Doxa 750T Divingstar GMT
    Doxa 1000T Divingstar
    Breitling Steelfish
    Sinn U1

Cheers guys.

DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jstawasz View Post
    There are rules regarding importation to US, but no bans. For example Ball and Marathon both use Tritium tubes and are available in US.

David has it right about HRVs. They are only used in Saturation diving where Diver and watch are subjected to Helium under high pressure for prolonged periods of time. This pressurizes the watch because the seals are permeable to the tiny Helium molecule. This can literally cause the watch to explode unless there is a release valve. So unless you're a professional it's just an unnecessary gadget. If anything it is just another point of entry on the watch case.

Joe
    And it's not even necessary for SAT work, as all you need to do is unscrew the crown. So really, ever watch out there is equipped with an HRV...even your Grandfather's old pocket watch.
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

Law,

Great questions. Taught me two things. Thanks for posting. Also, thank you guys for the informative answers!!

Scott
    "Most people go their whole lives wondering if they've made a difference, U.S. Marines do not have that problem." - Former U.S. President Ronald Reagan.

Thread Information