2 ?'s for 800TI owners

Thread: 2 ?'s for 800TI owners

2 ?'s for 800TI owners

I am really wanting to pull the trigger on this baby, but have a couple of easy questions for those currently possessing this great watch. In all the pics I see, it looks like the hour markers, especially 12, have a slight angle to them near the tube. Is this just an illusion? When in reality they are perfectly square to the tubes?
    Secondly, are there any drawbacks to tubes versus lume?

Thanks a bunch in advance for the responses.

Re: 2 ?'s for 800TI owners

Quote Originally Posted by watchu2 View Post
    I am really wanting to pull the trigger on this baby, but have a couple of easy questions for those currently possessing this great watch. In all the pics I see, it looks like the hour markers, especially 12, have a slight angle to them near the tube. Is this just an illusion? When in reality they are perfectly square to the tubes?
    Secondly, are there any drawbacks to tubes versus lume?

Thanks a bunch in advance for the responses.
    1) My hour markers all appear to be straight in real life. Looking at the straight-on pic of my Sharkie, however, I can see why you're asking. As least as far as my watch is concerned, the unevenness is a photographic illusion. Perhaps it is because the tubes stick up from, and are not flush with, the dial:

2) As a tritium junkie, I admittedly am a bit biased in favor of tubes. The only detractors to tubes, as far as I know are: (a) freshly-charged luminova is initially brighter than tubes . . . but only initially, and (b) you're not supposed to wear a tritium tube watch on a nuclear submarine (or so the folks in Norfolk tell me)

Some people simply don't care for the look of tubes, but that's totally subjective. Also, tritium tubes lose their glow over many years, but then again, so does applied lume.

The issue has been raised on the Ball forum that the NRC actually may prohibit the tritium tube on the bezel. Given that it is less protected that the tritium tubes under the crystal, a bezel tube has a greater risk of breaking. I'll let Doxa address that issue since the 800Ti obviously has a bezel tube. In the end, I'm not concerned because the amount of radiation in one of these tubes is significantly less that what we're exposed to standing in the sun for a few minutes.

Rob
    Last edited by roberev; November 26th, 2008 at 06:10.

Actually, the Navy doesnt allow tritium on any of its nuclear ships or subs. Radiation detectors pick it up and you wouldnt want a broken watch from 10 years ago misleading survey crews. At least thats how it was in 1990-1994.

John
    Current rotation include:

DOXA SUB600T Dirk Pitt #1021/3000
    DOXA SUB750T Caribbean #226/250
    DOXA SUB 1000T Divingstar COSC #3002/5000
    DOXA Aquaman
    Tag Heuer Formula One
    Citizen Hyper-Aqualand
    Seiko SKXA61 "Orange Knight"

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Metropolitan Detroit (Or is it South Florida again?)

Quote Originally Posted by roberev View Post

The issue has been raised on the Ball forum that the NRC actually may prohibit the tritium tube on the bezel. Given that it is less protected that the tritium tubes under the crystal, a bezel tube has a greater risk of breaking. I'll let Doxa address that issue since the 800Ti obviously has a bezel tube. In the end, I'm not concerned because the amount of radiation in one of these tubes is significantly less that what we're exposed to standing in the sun for a few minutes.

Rob
    I doubt the fact a tube is bezel mounted will catch the attention of the NRC. I'd think much more at potential risk would be the tritium tubes on the sights of 8 of my pistols.... or the front bead of one of my shotguns. Nope, pretty sure the NRC won't address the bezel issue...
    Regards, T Bone.

DOXA Forum and Sales Corner Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    I doubt the fact a tube is bezel mounted will catch the attention of the NRC. I'd think much more at potential risk would be the tritium tubes on the sights of 8 of my pistols.... or the front bead of one of my shotguns. Nope, pretty sure the NRC won't address the bezel issue...

Great point! I hadn't thought of the tritium on my Steyrs and Glocks.

Rob

The tubes on mine are alligned perfectly. I absolutely LOVE THIS WATCH!

Al G.
    "I'd keep playing. I don't think the heavy stuff's gonna come down for quite a while." ....Carl Spackler

Kobold Seal
    Omega Planet Ocean 45.5
    Panerai PAM 24
    Rolex Sea Dweller
    Seiko "Tuna Can" 300M
    Seiko MarineMaster Kinetic Direct Drive SBDD003

Thanks for the replies guys. I will be ordering very soon. Looks like an 800ti sharkie for Christmas.

I just paid for my 800ti sharkie order and am very excited. Thanks for the input guys.

Now lets see some pics please!:thanks

Thread Information