2019 300T mini review... - Page 6
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: 2019 300T mini review...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Re: 2019 300T mini review...

Quote Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post
    Fully agree but doesn’t seem to work that way, I warned a few months back about this. Problem is you usually notice after sizing and wearing and then can’t return and they don’t want to know.

I’ve had endless email conversations with The Blue Company (UK Distributor) and DOXA who took 2 weeks to refer it to their ‘Master Watch Maker’ and came back with that it’s in tolerance.

Wish I could say different but I got nowhere. Mine is maybe not as bad as the video but has movement as well as moves up and down and sometimes clicks.

I wanted to love the watch but it’s just not the quality I expected. It now sits on the bedside table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There is a tolerance for bezel movement and 1mm is within it?? Heard it all now - I've never had any lateral play on any other watch I've tried !! Will update the thread when I hear back from the AD - anyone else feel free to email the distributor, Doxa or their ADs to ask the question about bezel play! Only way for customers to force the company to solve this is to publicise and keep the pressure on (especially with the ADs). Shame - such a simple let-down on a great watch. Perhaps a separate 'wobbly bezel' thread should be started.
    Kritika999 likes this.

I will say this again. Thank goodness this is no longer an "official" forum and more accurate assessments of DOXA quality issues are being posted. I was a potential customer and was going to purchase a Sharkhunter Lung when that whole debacle started to unfold with 200 then 100 then the second 100 at a higher price took place. Left a bad taste in my mouth. Started looking looking on the preowned market. I even bought a DOXA black rubber strap from a forum member in anticipation of the purchase. I also have the books 40th and 50th. I really want to like the brand but issues like the wobbling bezel make it a non-starter for me especially for a $2000 watch. Too many other options on the market in that price range.
    Kritika999 likes this.

I wasnít around when this was DOXA sponsored, did they really remove unfavourable comments?? Thatís pretty underhand even if you sponsor the forum!

I really donít see the 2 year warranty being of any value on the watch if their tolerances are so slack.

Kritika999 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

My first post on thr Forum, so hi everyone.

I was also just about to push the button a new sub 300 or 1500 but after reading the recent posts I contacted the well known UK Importer who denied all knowledge of any problems with loose bezels on these two models! So until they or DOXA come clean and start admitting this is an issue, I’m going to go for a second hand 300T Poseidon edition or a 750t if I can get hold of one.

Anyway fantastic forum, after being a commercial diver and in the dive industry for 25 years + being a big Clive C fan in my youth p, I thought it was about time I put aside the Submariner for a while and get myself a DOXA of legend.
    Pegasus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post
    I wasn’t around when this was DOXA sponsored, did they really remove unfavourable comments?? That’s pretty underhand even if you sponsor the forum!
    Most assuredly. In addition, and in my experience, the mod would send a PM giving the poster a warning or slap on the wrist. Unfortunate, but it seems all that aggressive policing was to no avail at this point.

Still want to love the brand, and it has a great deal of appeal, but quality issues must be addressed to earn my support with a purchase. I am still holding onto my unworn DOXA black rubber strap in the hope that eventually happens, or the right deal on an older one comes along.

Well, my refund has gone through (or at least is pending in paypal).

The AD I purchased through contacted Doxa about the issue, from what Doxa have said, its due to the ball bearings they use to attach the bezel, and despite being a little unsettling, is in fact by design and not a fault.

I guess it's certainly a possible explaination, every other dive watch I own uses a standard bezel spring to attach the bezel (well apart from Sinn who use screws), which means they have a tight fit and no lateral movement, if Doxa are using bearings, then I guess manufacturing tolerances needed to fit the bezel in the first place will result in a bit of wiggle. Not sure what the advantages of bearings vs a spring are though.

Mystery solved I guess. In my case, I still wasnt happy with the amount of bezel movement so went for a refund, but for anyone on the fence about returning a 300t, well, now at least you have a reason why it moves the way it does, it's down to your own preference whether you can live with it or opt to return.

2019 300T mini review...

Iím wondering whether to refer DOXA sales to this thread? Maybe they can comment on the issues.....

Quote Originally Posted by Anders_Flint View Post
    Well, my refund has gone through (or at least is pending in paypal).

The AD I purchased through contacted Doxa about the issue, from what Doxa have said, its due to the ball bearings they use to attach the bezel, and despite being a little unsettling, is in fact by design and not a fault.

I guess it's certainly a possible explaination, every other dive watch I own uses a standard bezel spring to attach the bezel (well apart from Sinn who use screws), which means they have a tight fit and no lateral movement, if Doxa are using bearings, then I guess manufacturing tolerances needed to fit the bezel in the first place will result in a bit of wiggle. Not sure what the advantages of bearings vs a spring are though.

Mystery solved I guess. In my case, I still wasnt happy with the amount of bezel movement so went for a refund, but for anyone on the fence about returning a 300t, well, now at least you have a reason why it moves the way it does, it's down to your own preference whether you can live with it or opt to return.
    This makes sense. I wonder if anyone whoís serviced theirs themselves can comment on whether this is a change from the Marei era bezels. I, for one, am perfectly happy with the 300BL bezel but itís all about the details and a personal choice certainly.

Quote Originally Posted by Anders_Flint View Post

The AD I purchased through contacted Doxa about the issue, from what Doxa have said, its due to the ball bearings they use to attach the bezel
    If the Jenny DOXAs are indeed using ball bearings then this is a completely new bezel design from the Marei era watches. They all used the common ratchet / click springs.

Very quick test of Marei era 600T, 750T, 300, T-Graph, Rolex Submariner and Sea-Dweller show none to almost imperceptible movement. Breitling Superocean has more movement than any of my watches but uses a unique click ring design.

From an engineering point of view, the bezel slop / sideways movement is due to dimension / tolerance. As an example. Lets say outer dimension (OD) of bezel seat on case is 1 inch and inner dimension (ID) of the bezel is 2 inches. If centered there would be 0.5 inch gap each side with a possible sideways movement of 1 inch. Obviously these are silly numbers but it should illustrate what is going on. The ODs and IDs of the Marei era watches were very tight so any possible lateral movement would be less. I haven't seen the inner configuration of the Jenny DOXAs or the ball bearing arrangement to be able to comment on dimensions. The outer profile is different to the Marei Era 1200T .The only other watch that used a ball bearing click was the old Seiko Divers which has a hole with a spring and a small ball bearing seated on top of the spring.

Why Jenny would want to change a proven bezel design is anyone's guess unless someone at Jenny just fed a line of BS to the AD and it is really very poor machining of the bezel. Who knows?
    nitron135 and middlepath like this.

TSH

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingdoctor View Post
    If the Jenny DOXAs are indeed using ball bearings then this is a completely new bezel design from the Marei era watches. They all used the common ratchet / click springs.

Very quick test of Marei era 600T, 750T, 300, T-Graph, Rolex Submariner and Sea-Dweller show none to almost imperceptible movement. Breitling Superocean has more movement than any of my watches but uses a unique click ring design.

From an engineering point of view, the bezel slop / sideways movement is due to dimension / tolerance. As an example. Lets say outer dimension (OD) of bezel seat on case is 1 inch and inner dimension (ID) of the bezel is 2 inches. If centered there would be 0.5 inch gap each side with a possible sideways movement of 1 inch. Obviously these are silly numbers but it should illustrate what is going on. The ODs and IDs of the Marei era watches were very tight so any possible lateral movement would be less. I haven't seen the inner configuration of the Jenny DOXAs or the ball bearing arrangement to be able to comment on dimensions. The outer profile is different to the Marei Era 1200T .The only other watch that used a ball bearing click was the old Seiko Divers which has a hole with a spring and a small ball bearing seated on top of the spring.

Why Jenny would want to change a proven bezel design is anyone's guess unless someone at Jenny just fed a line of BS to the AD and it is really very poor machining of the bezel. Who knows?

Probably just confused language, ball bearings exist to reduce friction (clicks), not create it. Click balls like in the 6309 Seiko are not ball bearings. Even then, who knows what they mean - just sales people.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information