WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

2019 300T mini review...

14K views 85 replies 35 participants last post by  dpioli 
#1 ·
There dont seem to be too many pics of these new 300Ts out in the wild so I figured I'd share my thoughts, although being my 1st Doxa Sub, I cant compare it to older models, short of my brief experience with a friends 1200T.

As I understand it, this is essentially the 1200T but sans helium escape valve and with an improved bracelet, no bad thing in my book, as having handled a friends 1200T Caribbean model, I can say it was superb, and this matches it in every regard (including the 1200m water resistance).

First off the case finishing is superb, there isnt a brush line out place, or a sharp edge anywhere, it easily matches other (more expensive) divers I've owned. The crown has an inlaid and painted Jenny fish logo, which isn't that noticable in person vs in photos, but if you hate it, I guess some cape cod could polish it off. The bezel is rock solid, no play, and unlike my CWC diver that this replaced, it doesn't click against the case if you tap on the bezel.

The crystal is totally flat unlike the 1200T which had a slight dome, it seems to have quite a good AR coating, although having a bright dial in the background is even better for minimising reflections.

The dial itself is glossy, looks almost like enamel, same goes for the hands and black indices. I'm a little underwhelmed by the lume though, it does stay visible for an entire night, but the dial markers just dont match the hands for sheer brightness leaving it looking like a vintage watch that's had its hands replaced, the faux-patina superluminova on my CWC 1983 reissue diver completely obliterates the Doxa for brightness and consistency across the dial/handset, which is a shame given that the Doxa cost twice as much. Oh and before I forget, the orange pip on the bezel does glow, but not enough to warrant mentioning, they might as well have just used paint.

The bracelet is tapered and has a different clasp design to the 1200T, +the ratcheted diving extension is pure genius. The bracelet itself is very comfortable and has no rattle whatsoever.

As for the movement, well sadly it's not COSC cert like the 50th anniversary Sub 300, but it is a decent enough 2824-2 and having worn it for 2 days, it's only gained +4 seconds, so its not a million miles away from COSC spec.

Packaging is pretty standard stuff, card box, with zipped nylon case inside... I really wanted the old tube case though, they looked great!

Not much else to say really, for my 2 cents, it's a fantastic dive watch, not perfect by any means, but every bit as good as the 1200T it has replaced, and not being a limited edition, should actually be available to purchase new.

See less See more
#44 ·
Good luck, I’ve had multiple problems as I posted in the other thread. DOXA don’t give 2 s***s, just interested in posting fancy pictures on Instagram.

I had the bracelet replaced as ‘goodwill’ by my AD, who actually have been really good but the new one is better but still not up to a 2K watch. As someone above mentioned it doesn’t sit at all well on the wrist due to the longer end links and flared bracelet that is wider than the lugs.

The bezel has the wobble which is ‘normal’ apparently, I’m going to cut my losses, don’t even wear the watch, it has soured the whole experience for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#45 · (Edited)
So Doxa are admitting they are the only watch company in the world who make watches with wobbly rocking bezels?? Is this just an issue with the latest watches or older ones as well - noted someone posted that their 50 anni one does it as well, which doesn't have the new case? Have Doxa changed where they are manufactured lately? Is it just the 300 or all the tonneau cased watches? Perhaps they can use the new advertising line "Doxa watches 'rock' "....I would advise anyone looking to buy to email their AD beforehand and get their confirmation that , should they buy from them, the bezel will have no such play - if Doxa are going to advise their dealers that the watches will have loose bezels …..well....

#46 ·
So Doxa are admitting they are the only watch company in the world who make watches with wobbly rocking bezels?? Is this just an issue with the latest watches or older ones as well - noted someone posted that their 50 anni one does it as well, which doesn't have the new case? Have Doxa changed where they are manufactured lately? Is it just the 300 or all the tonneau cased watches? Perhaps they can use the new advertising line "Doxa watches 'rock' "....I would advise anyone looking to buy to email their AD beforehand and get their confirmation that , should they buy from them, the bezel will have no such play - if Doxa are going to advise their dealers that the watches will have loose bezels …..well....
Whether it's a design flaw or not at least in my case the movement is tiny and I would never have noticed it unless someone actually pointed it out. I certainly would not call it 'loose' but it does look as though the one in the video has much more play than mine.

#52 ·
I will say this again. Thank goodness this is no longer an "official" forum and more accurate assessments of DOXA quality issues are being posted. I was a potential customer and was going to purchase a Sharkhunter Lung when that whole debacle started to unfold with 200 then 100 then the second 100 at a higher price took place. Left a bad taste in my mouth. Started looking looking on the preowned market. I even bought a DOXA black rubber strap from a forum member in anticipation of the purchase. I also have the books 40th and 50th. I really want to like the brand but issues like the wobbling bezel make it a non-starter for me especially for a $2000 watch. Too many other options on the market in that price range.

#55 ·
I wasn't around when this was DOXA sponsored, did they really remove unfavourable comments?? That's pretty underhand even if you sponsor the forum!
Most assuredly. In addition, and in my experience, the mod would send a PM giving the poster a warning or slap on the wrist. Unfortunate, but it seems all that aggressive policing was to no avail at this point.

Still want to love the brand, and it has a great deal of appeal, but quality issues must be addressed to earn my support with a purchase. I am still holding onto my unworn DOXA black rubber strap in the hope that eventually happens, or the right deal on an older one comes along.

#54 ·
My first post on thr Forum, so hi everyone.

I was also just about to push the button a new sub 300 or 1500 but after reading the recent posts I contacted the well known UK Importer who denied all knowledge of any problems with loose bezels on these two models! So until they or DOXA come clean and start admitting this is an issue, I’m going to go for a second hand 300T Poseidon edition or a 750t if I can get hold of one.

Anyway fantastic forum, after being a commercial diver and in the dive industry for 25 years + being a big Clive C fan in my youth p, I thought it was about time I put aside the Submariner for a while and get myself a DOXA of legend.

#56 ·
Well, my refund has gone through (or at least is pending in paypal).

The AD I purchased through contacted Doxa about the issue, from what Doxa have said, its due to the ball bearings they use to attach the bezel, and despite being a little unsettling, is in fact by design and not a fault.

I guess it's certainly a possible explaination, every other dive watch I own uses a standard bezel spring to attach the bezel (well apart from Sinn who use screws), which means they have a tight fit and no lateral movement, if Doxa are using bearings, then I guess manufacturing tolerances needed to fit the bezel in the first place will result in a bit of wiggle. Not sure what the advantages of bearings vs a spring are though.

Mystery solved I guess. In my case, I still wasnt happy with the amount of bezel movement so went for a refund, but for anyone on the fence about returning a 300t, well, now at least you have a reason why it moves the way it does, it's down to your own preference whether you can live with it or opt to return.

#62 · (Edited)
Just ordered a 300T Caribbean - sure hope it's O.K.
What they are describing (ball bearings/springs of some sort - almost a 'floating' style) does seem like some lateral and 'wobbly' movement would result, though the rotation action is fine - but why use such a system when the previous system was simple, worked well and had NO movement?? Would like to see a pic from Doxa of the system. Not heard back from my dealer yet but if it is down to design then they will all do it to a lesser or greater degree - in watchmaking terms almost 1mm of movement and rocking is a huge amount I'd say. If that is the case I will also go for the refund - would be worried it would get worse and/or break in the future.

#65 ·
Just noticed they have moved the rubber strap option available date to 17th Feb, it's been moved about 6 weeks so far.

How hard is it to stick to a deadline for a rubber strap? Very worrying going forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FWIW, consider ordering with a bracelet and get rubber strap separate.. BOR is part of the Doxa charm.

#71 ·
Doxa seems to have taken tumble and let's be honest, their customer service was never the best before!

#74 ·
Just as an update, while I did get a full refund for my original purchase, after some consideration I did purchase again from another retailer (that was offering a significant discount).

Given that its a quirk of the construction rather than a fault, I can live with the bezel play, also, it helps that is is less noticable on my new watch vs my original one.

With the money saved, i picked up the Seiko "Arnie" reissue :)

Doxa number 2 :)
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

#75 ·
Just as an update, while I did get a full refund for my original purchase, after some consideration I did purchase again from another retailer (that was offering a significant discount).

Given that its a quirk of the construction rather than a fault, I can live with the bezel play, also, it helps that is is less noticable on my new watch vs my original one.

With the money saved, i picked up the Seiko "Arnie" reissue :)

Doxa number 2 :)
View attachment 14873289
It IS a very good looking watch, so I can see why

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#84 ·
There dont seem to be too many pics of these new 300Ts out in the wild so I figured I'd share my thoughts, although being my 1st Doxa Sub, I cant compare it to older models, short of my brief experience with a friends 1200T.

View attachment 14759385

As I understand it, this is essentially the 1200T but sans helium escape valve and with an improved bracelet, no bad thing in my book, as having handled a friends 1200T Caribbean model, I can say it was superb, and this matches it in every regard (including the 1200m water resistance).

First off the case finishing is superb, there isnt a brush line out place, or a sharp edge anywhere, it easily matches other (more expensive) divers I've owned. The crown has an inlaid and painted Jenny fish logo, which isn't that noticable in person vs in photos, but if you hate it, I guess some cape cod could polish it off. The bezel is rock solid, no play, and unlike my CWC diver that this replaced, it doesn't click against the case if you tap on the bezel.

The crystal is totally flat unlike the 1200T which had a slight dome, it seems to have quite a good AR coating, although having a bright dial in the background is even better for minimising reflections.

The dial itself is glossy, looks almost like enamel, same goes for the hands and black indices. I'm a little underwhelmed by the lume though, it does stay visible for an entire night, but the dial markers just dont match the hands for sheer brightness leaving it looking like a vintage watch that's had its hands replaced, the faux-patina superluminova on my CWC 1983 reissue diver completely obliterates the Doxa for brightness and consistency across the dial/handset, which is a shame given that the Doxa cost twice as much. Oh and before I forget, the orange pip on the bezel does glow, but not enough to warrant mentioning, they might as well have just used paint.

The bracelet is tapered and has a different clasp design to the 1200T, +the ratcheted diving extension is pure genius. The bracelet itself is very comfortable and has no rattle whatsoever.

View attachment 14759389

As for the movement, well sadly it's not COSC cert like the 50th anniversary Sub 300, but it is a decent enough 2824-2 and having worn it for 2 days, it's only gained +4 seconds, so its not a million miles away from COSC spec.

Packaging is pretty standard stuff, card box, with zipped nylon case inside... I really wanted the old tube case though, they looked great!

Not much else to say really, for my 2 cents, it's a fantastic dive watch, not perfect by any means, but every bit as good as the 1200T it has replaced, and not being a limited edition, should actually be available to purchase new.

View attachment 14759391
View attachment 14759393
View attachment 14759395
View attachment 14759397
View attachment 14759401
View attachment 14759405
does anyone know if the 1200t bracelet would fit perfectly in the 1200T? i want to buy the project aware 1200T because of the bracelet being more narrow near the endliks but i see no reason for paying more then the 300T aquamarine so i would consider a bracelet swap.

#85 ·