The 5000T. - New Information and PICS ADDED!!

Thread: The 5000T. - New Information and PICS ADDED!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The 5000T. - New Information and PICS ADDED!!

Today, I was reflecting on the Doxa watch and comparing many of the ones that I own. As many of you know, I have several. Honestly, the one feature from Doxa that has been released since 2002 that has me the most excited is the ratcheting bracelet on the 5000T. For a diver, this will be most handy when diving with a wetsuit. Now I know that many of you just change out your bracelet to a NATO strap or something, but I am a Bracelet guy through and through. Doxa might as well keep all their rubber straps when sending me a new watch because I will never use another. ESPECIALLY since the 5000T now has screwed lugs.

I suspect I am going on another Dive trip to Bonaire in January. So, the other night I got out my 3mm Wetsuit and tried it on, and put my Mil Sharky on utilizing the wetsuit extension. It works quite well, but hypothetically speaking, not nearly as well as the 5000T Bracelet mechanism. The 5000T has a FAR SUPERIOR wetsuit extension mechanism. I know that some of you have pointed out a few things that you might have done differently, but I for one am excited to get one and try it out in real recreational diving conditions. I really think that the Pro dial will provide a more than adequate contrast between the hands/dial.

I may just go ahead and purchase one so that I can do some comparison shots and some "under the waves" analysis of the 5000T vs the Military Sharky and 750T Pro.

In my mind, OVERALL...........The 5000T is the Ultimate Dive watch made to date

What do you guys think?
    Best Regards,
    Jason

Re: The 5000T.

This bracelet feature intrigues me, too. When I went to Cozumel for a week of diving, I "sized" my Sharkhunter 750T braclet so it would be a snug fit on my 3mm wetsuit when I deployed the diver's extension. It worked great until my wetsuit sleeves became saturated. The deeper we went, the looser my Sharkie got (I got smarter for the rest of the week and just wore it on my bare wrist...).

With this new bracelt, I could have just cranked it down a bit and snugged it up!
    " Don't trust anyone who says they're too good for an SKX007 and claims to be a WIS" - A Pine Tree

Watches: Rolex GMT Master II 16760,
    Rolex Submariner 14060M, Doxa 750T Sharkhunter, Doxa 1200T Professional, Marathon SS Navigator (1992 Kuwait), Seiko SRP777, Seiko SKA427P1, Seiko SKX007, Garmin Fenix 5, Suunto Core and countless G-Shocks

Interesting point, and one I've thought about since the introduction of the feature. I dive with a 7MM suit, and I'm wondering if the bracelet extension is long enough to fit properly without having to wear the watch too loosely. I tend to swap the bracelet for a long, 4 ring strap, since I tend to wear gloves over the suit. This is easy to do since my 750 Pro has springbars rather than screws attaching the bracelet to the case.

My question is, with the bracelet now being attached via screws, will I have that option when I get the 5000T? Or will I have to wear the watch fairly loosely in order to still get it over a thick suit and gloves with the extension?

Hopefully Doc or the good folks at Doxa can clarify this one for me. I'm still getting one, though - and I agree that this is the ultimate dive watch. This is one I won't hand down or sell.

Cheers,

Avi

"Individuals fail.
    Teams succeed."

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I've been in a few 7MMs up here in Minnesota...

I couldn't get my bracelet large enough to work with either the gloves, or higher up on my arm above the glove cuff. I just use my Seiko SKX007 on a NATO. Same thing with a dry suit. I suppose I could have added more links to the bracelet, but going to the Seiko was just easier!
    " Don't trust anyone who says they're too good for an SKX007 and claims to be a WIS" - A Pine Tree

Watches: Rolex GMT Master II 16760,
    Rolex Submariner 14060M, Doxa 750T Sharkhunter, Doxa 1200T Professional, Marathon SS Navigator (1992 Kuwait), Seiko SRP777, Seiko SKA427P1, Seiko SKX007, Garmin Fenix 5, Suunto Core and countless G-Shocks

Quote Originally Posted by Doug507 View Post
    I've been in a few 7MMs up here in Minnesota...

I couldn't get my bracelet large enough to work with either the gloves, or higher up on my arm above the glove cuff. I just use my Seiko SKX007 on a NATO. Same thing with a dry suit. I suppose I could have added more links to the bracelet, but going to the Seiko was just easier!
    I know what you mean. Not a problem with springbars to swap out to a strap - my question is how, if at all, we do it with screws.

And I thought I was diving in cold water. You have my respect, sir!

Cheers,

Avi

"Individuals fail.
    Teams succeed."

Quote Originally Posted by Frogman View Post
    I know what you mean. Not a problem with springbars to swap out to a strap - my question is how, if at all, we do it with screws.

And I thought I was diving in cold water. You have my respect, sir!

Cheers,

Avi
    You guys both have my respect

I am a warm water diver for now. I would eventually like to come back out and dive in Southern Cal with Avi. My wife will not go into any water below 80 F, but I am game to try it out. Especially if there are some cool things to see. The monster Octopus is in the cold water off the West Coast, not the Carib.

It seems as if the bracelet of the 5000T will be very versatile. I would imagine that it will be quite easy to "snug up" at depth when the wetsuit is rather compressed. So far with my Doxas I have not had to use the extension and have always been able to put the watch on my bare wrist.

I can't wait to see what some of you guys who dive in the cold water think of the 5000T regarding the bracelet...............
    Best Regards,
    Jason

Hi guys,

I'm glad somebody is talking about the other features of the 5000T like its ratcheting bracelet extension. This is really a very good feature in terms of engineering design sense and ease of use sense. Its really nice to know that there is an extension you can fine tune without getting to open the clasp.

Speaking of the clasp, for me it really looks awesome compounded by the ratcheting extension of the clasp. It looks and should feel pretty solid.

And ofcourse, the bracelet looks very well balanced. I won't be surprised if the 5000T would turn out to be a new upcoming classic and a very well designed UPDATE of what a sub should be.

Its more robust than ever!!!

Best regards,
    Ian

A little update. Rick was gracious enough to send me a 5000T to evaluate. Let me tell you, PICTURES JUST DO NOT DO THIS WATCH JUSTICE!!! A couple points that I want to make now that I have seen one in the flesh:

1) This watch is just in a different league than the other Doxas. While the other Doxa Subs that I own are nice, this one is that much nicer. Honestly, I don't see how Doxa is making any money selling this one. It is a total package. Let me explain.......
    A) Domed Crystal. I never thought I would say this but it really looks classy on the watch
    B) Thick Case. The case is quite noticeably thicker than the 750T series.
    C) Thick Bracelet. The bracelet fits the case like the GMT bracelet goes with the 750T case. Although it is not rice-bead, it strangely reminds and resembles it in a way.

2) The HRV is small and almost goes unnoticed. Very nice touch.
    3) The polished vs brushed links looks nice. Reminds me of the 600T series.

OVERALL IT JUST HAS THE FEEL OF A VERY EXPENSIVE WATCH. I would say that this watch will go GREAT at the office, but you could definitely pull off wearing it on a dive trip as well.

I don't know, but if I was starting over..........This just might be the ultimate DOXA, and my very first.

I tried my best to catch the domed crystal as well as the difference in thickness of the 5000T vs the 750T case.

BTW, I think the butterfly clasp in addition to the ratcheting aspect is very nice.

These are not the best pics, but they will have to do until I have a little more time.
    Domed crystal

Difference in thickness of the case vs the 750T

Butterfly Clasp mechanism
    Last edited by Jason71; December 11th, 2007 at 00:52.
    Best Regards,
    Jason

Re: The 5000T. - New Information and PICS ADDED!!

Hi Jason - looks like you got one ahead of me after all.

Nice to hear that the watch is what we expected and more. Now I'm getting really excited!

Cheers,

Avi

"Individuals fail.
    Teams succeed."

Re: The 5000T. - New Information and PICS ADDED!!

Jason ... concerning the ratcheting bracelet ... is it like the old in the sense that the end pieces next to the clasp extend? The reason I ask is I also dive with a 6.5mm suit. If I get to depth and ratchet it down if the end pieces don't extend I'll have to loosen it back up as I surface or it is going to put a lot of tension on it. What are your thoughts on that?
    John M.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information