5000T Sharkie just landed!!! A couple of questions...

Thread: 5000T Sharkie just landed!!! A couple of questions...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

5000T Sharkie just landed!!! A couple of questions...

Hi all,

In 2002 I was working on a dive project in Costa Rica, and as is often the case on such sites, there was an old Clive Cussler book knocking around. And as with so many others out there, Dirk Pitt introduced me to Doxa. After 7 (seven!) years dreaming of owning a Sub, lurking on this forum, reading all the reviews, comparing the Sub against every dive watch in the world and saving my pennies, the summer sale finally pushed me over the edge and I pulled the trigger on a 5000T. It arrived by FedEx yesterday.

I know it's kind of traditional here to get a Pro as your first Doxa, but I went for a Sharky... no disrespect to Dirk or any of you other Pro owners, but my previous dive watch was a yellow-faced Citizen Aqualand and I always regretted the fact that I got one with a coloured face rather than plain black... just my taste, that's all. Who knows... maybe I'll go Pro for Doxa #2 I only have a 7 inch wrist and I was worried that the 5000T would look too big, but it's just great... loads of presence, and really beautifully made. It just smacks of quality. I can't stop looking at it (I love, love, love that subtly-domed crystal and the raised 'table-top' bezel!!!). And it's unbelievably comfortable for its considerable weight. What a relief... it's kinda nerve-wracking to spend this much money on a watch without having first seen one in the flesh. So many watches I've ogled in photos have turned out to be sort of underwhelming when I've seen them for real in a shop. But "underwhelming" is about the last word you'd use for this puppy! Apologies for going on so much but I'm over the moon. Thanks to everyone on the forum for their confidence-inspiring posts about the company and, of course, about the Subs! On this note, I have two questions that some of you may be able to help me with, if you don't mind sharing some more of your hard earned experience!

Firstly, I've never owned a mechanical watch before and I've seen lots of posts on various forums about people screwing up their watch movements by doing something wrong so I followed the setting instructions to the letter. To set the date, the manual instructed me to bring the crown to position 3 and turn clockwise, which I did... repeatedly... but nothing happened. I thought I'd got landed with a lemon (this would have been funnier if I'd bought an Orange!). Eventually, I nervously tried turning the crown counter-clockwise, and - lo and behold - the date advanced just fine. Put another way, the manual instructs me to turn clockwise to advance the date (position 3) and counter-clockwise to advance the time (position 4), but in reality they both operate counter-clockwise. Is this just an error in the manual or is there something weird with my watch? :thanks

And secondly, although I love the watch dearly, there's just one feature that lets it down so much that I really want to change it. The hands! I couldn't see this in the website photos before I ordered the Sub, but the sparkly hands look like they came out of a Christmas cracker I think they let the whole watch down badly, IMHO. At the risk of being a little sacrilegious here, how feasible is it to get a watchmaker to change the hands? (hey, we divers are forever reconfiguring our kit!) And can I get another set of hands from Doxa? I love the red minute hand on the 800Ti Sharkie, with those awesome tritium gas tubes... what do you think of the "quick and dirty" Photoshop I've made of a 5000T with the 800Ti minute hand!? If this substitution is feasible, can anyone recommend a watchmaker in the UK who they think would be up to the job? Or is this just a plain terrible idea for some reason.

Thanks for your time, everyone. It's a real privilege for me to have finally posted a post!

Regards,

Stoplight
    Attached Images Attached Images

"World enough, and time" - A. Marvell

Metropolitan Detroit (Or is it South Florida again?)

Re: 5000T Sharkie just landed!!! A couple of questions...

Welcome to the Forum and congrats on the new watch!

While your mock up isn't my cup of tea, it is not for me to be pleased by your watch, but you.

I suspect there may be a couple of difficulties in making this modification a reality though. First, I am not certain Doxa will sell the parts (800Ti hands) for such a project (I doubt you'd wish to obtain and cannibalize an 800Ti just for the hands).

Second, I am not certain they would even fit inside the 5000T. The tubed hands are much thicker than standard hands, and require substantial room for clearance. I'm not sure if the 5000T possesses the required distance between the dial face and crystal (the 800Ti is quite deep).

Certainly don't let my ramblings set you off of pursuing your project, I could be wrong on all counts. Just mentioning what I think might be obstacles.

Please check your PM and get back to me also. Thanks, and again, Welcome!
    Regards, T Bone.

DOXA Forum and Sales Corner Moderator

Hey there T-Bone. Thanks for the welcome! Hmmm. Yeah, I didn't really consider whether or not the 800Ti hands would fit inside the 5000T It's probably harder to do for real than in Photoshop, huh? The tritium itself wasn't a deal breaker - I really like the red minute hand in general. It's got that old-school PloProf feel to it that I love!!! A superlume red hand would do just fine, if that fits. I'll ask Doxa and see first off if they'll sell the hands which is, as you point out, the first stumbling block. If they don't, then happy days! Problem solved. And it's such a cracking watch otherwise that I'm sure I can learn to live with the sparkle. Might even attract the fish!!! Cheers.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Well, if you're determined to modify the 5000T, and the tritium tubes aren't mandatory, don't give up just yet. We have a Member who did modify a 5000T Pro to look closer to the classic models. What he did was had the hands and SS indices painted black. I imagine it would be just as doable on a Sharkhunter to paint the indices white and hands white or white and orange. Just a thought...

Have a look at this thread here.
    Regards, T Bone.

Thanks for the link. Wow! That is one massive improvement. From reading the comments, looks like the shininess of the 5000T is a problem for a lot of folks out there. "Bling" is definitely the right word. Such a strange thing for Doxa to do... I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder but it's hard to imagine anyone thinking that sequins look good on a dive watch Particularly from a company such proper tool heritage. So painting may be another option... I'll see can I find a watch restorer in the UK and ask them what they think. My Sharkie is only #161/5000... can't help wondering if the folks at Doxa might benefit from a poll to find out who thinks the 5000T would be better "de-blinged" (such an awesome watch otherwise), and if Doxa would consider offering an alternative for the remaining 4,839!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stoplight View Post
    <snip>...........My Sharkie is only #161/5000... can't help wondering if the folks at Doxa might benefit from a poll to find out who thinks the 5000T would be better "de-blinged" (such an awesome watch otherwise), and if Doxa would consider offering an alternative for the remaining 4,839!!!
    Remember, Doxa sends out their watches at random, so the fact that your serial number is #161 doesn't mean that they had sold only 161 watches when they sold you yours. It is possible for someone out there to have #4999/5000 already.

Just a little FYI
    Best Regards,
    Jason

Doh! I didn't realise that :oops: I was thinking it would take them 30 years to sell their stock at this rate!! Thanks for setting me straight on this.

Keeping in mind also, that Doxa was looking to expand their repertoire a bit with this watch. While some may find it "blingy", some find it the perfect mix of the Doxa tool watch of old and the refined upscale modern trend in dive watches.

The 5000T is after a bit of a different market I think, going head to head with offerings from other makers such as Breitling, Omega and Rolex.

While I love my 750T's, to me the 5000T Sharkhunter is perfect just how it comes from the factory. It's a more modern interpretation of a timeless classic. I want one.
    Regards, T Bone.

Ha ha! Do it! I guess the most sensible thing for me to do is not to rush into anything and to see if the factory design grows on me. But to be honest, I'm not sure it will. In which case, I think that finding someone good who can do a professional job of painting the hands/indices might be the way forward. A quick web search has thrown up quite a few UK based watch restorers. I'll email a few and see what they reckon. If anyone in the UK reads this and has anyone they can recommend, I'd be very appreciative :thanks

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    Keeping in mind also, that Doxa was looking to expand their repertoire a bit with this watch. While some may find it "blingy", some find it the perfect mix of the Doxa tool watch of old and the refined upscale modern trend in dive watches.

The 5000T is after a bit of a different market I think, going head to head with offerings from other makers such as Breitling, Omega and Rolex.

While I love my 750T's, to me the 5000T Sharkhunter is perfect just how it comes from the factory. It's a more modern interpretation of a timeless classic. I want one.
    Precisely- very well stated.

I personally LOVE my 5000T Pro. The shiny hands do not detract from this watch in any way. It is still a tool watch- have no doubt.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information