50th Anniversary Crystal question
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: 50th Anniversary Crystal question

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I'm wondering if any owners of the 50th anniversary models can help me with a question. I'm looking to pull the trigger on a Sharkhunter before they sell out, but I've been noticing the crystal bugs me a little bit in some of the pictures I've seen.

The edge of the domed crystal seems to add a "ring" to the dial, especially when looking at it straight-on. But then there are some pics where it is a lot less noticeable. The curve/bubble also seems very noticeable from some angles, but again, not from others. (I would post example links, but I apparently can't with a 0 post count.) I'm thinking it's a lighting/angle issue, but I thought I would ask for thoughts from other owners.

Can any owners chime in with their thoughts?

Thanks!

- John

Re: 50th Anniversary Crystal question

The ring is the thickness of the crystal (noticeable) and it has a significant bubble like the original one. IMO it's a part of the charme of this watch.
    Genebe and gaopa like this.

No, I totally get that. I've always wanted a vintage, but have never been fortunate enough to see one in person so I don't have anything to compare it to. I've owned a 600T and currently a 750T, so that's what I'm more used to. A friend of mine saw some pics and said it's a deal-breaker for him, it just distracts him. It doesn't do that to me, but it's certainly more noticeable in certain pictures/angles than others, so I just was wondering if it's just a refraction of light in the pictures or if it's really like that in person too.

- - - Updated - - -

No, I totally get that. I've always wanted a vintage, but have never been fortunate enough to see one in person so I don't have anything to compare it to. I've owned a 600T and currently a 750T, so that's what I'm more used to. A friend of mine saw some pics and said it's a deal-breaker for him, it just distracts him. It doesn't do that to me, but it's certainly more noticeable in certain pictures/angles than others, so I just was wondering if it's just a refraction of light in the pictures or if it's really like that in person too.

- John

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I own a 50th Professional dial, and can tell you two things with certainty: 1) The crystal is meant to stand out on this watch. It’s central to the unique character of the piece. If it bugs you, that’s no minor niggle to try to look past. 2) I will often notice and appreciate the crystal independently for the way that it picks up the light, but I have never once felt that it inhibited my ability to read the dial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Genebe likes this.

Your observations are valid, and it's not something you just get used to. It's always there - part of the early Doxa design carried over. Makes me appreciate even more the flat rake of the SUB 300T crystal and bezel. As a diving tool, that 300 bubble hits everything. It helps that the new issue has that double bubble sapphire crystal.

I own a 50th Sharkhunter. LOVE the domed crystal. That is what sold me on one.

Casio G-Shock - GW-5600J
    Doxa - SUB300 Sharkhunter 50th Anniversary
    Rolex
    - Submariner 16610
    Vostok Amphibia - 090660

I own both a Professional and a Searambler from the SUB 300 50th anniversary series and had read about the halo effect as well as how the crystal makes the dial look smaller before purchasing.
    I definitely agree that both of these are true as you can see below.

However I think that both features add to the great vintage looks of the watch making it far better than it would be with a flat crystal.
    I've certainly got no regrets about buying either watch and the Professional has become the watch I'm wearing all the time due to its looks, comfort, build quality and accuracy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Des2471 likes this.

I love the domed sapphire crystal

Name:  IMG_0887.JPG
Views: 86
Size:  750.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0892.JPG
Views: 85
Size:  1.13 MB

Name:  IMG_0900.JPG
Views: 90
Size:  584.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0880.JPG
Views: 84
Size:  364.1 KB
    adg31 likes this.

Thanks, everyone. I think I'll probably pull the trigger. Appreciate all the feedback.

The crystal is awesome! I've owned a vintage 300T and honestly thought the flat crystal was the cheapest looking part. I understand why they went that way, but the 300 crystal is so much cooler looking, and the 50th 300 really hits the mark in a big way!

This is a small-faced watch, as they all were back in the '60s. You have to keep that in mind; this is NOT a big clunky dive watch.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information