750T GMT Hand Lume question
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 750T GMT Hand Lume question

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

750T GMT Hand Lume question

Hi All,

I am really interested in the GMT sharkhunter, but it looks like the GMT hand doesn't have any lume on it. Is this correct? And if so, why the hell not.

This is one of the most complete GMT divers I have ever seen and believe you me I have been looking for a while.

It would be such a big shame if something so small but so useful would not be built in.

Can someone with first hand experience please shed some light on this?

And BTW,I know I am being picky. In the past year I have gone through an Omega PO, Rolex Sub and Tutima Pacific

Cheers,
    U

DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar

Re: 750T GMT Hand Lume question

Quote Originally Posted by utterlyconfused View Post
    Hi All,

I am really interested in the GMT sharkhunter, but it looks like the GMT hand doesn't have any lume on it. Is this correct? And if so, why the hell not.

This is one of the most complete GMT divers I have ever seen and believe you me I have been looking for a while.

It would be such a big shame if something so small but so useful would not be built in.

Can someone with first hand experience please shed some light on this?

And BTW,I know I am being picky. In the past year I have gone through an Omega PO, Rolex Sub and Tutima Pacific

Cheers,
    U
    You are correct, the GMT hand is not lumed. If it were lumed, it would be too easy to confuse with the minute hand, and that could be dangerous for a diver when timing a dive.
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

Quote Originally Posted by subkrawler View Post
    You are correct, the GMT hand is not lumed. If it were lumed, it would be too easy to confuse with the minute hand, and that could be dangerous for a diver when timing a dive.
    But they could have just lumed the tip of the hand, like most other GMT watches. That should make the distinction. Do they do any custom work?

Thanks
    -U

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

But they could have just lumed the tip of the hand, like most other GMT watches. That should make the distinction. Do they do any custom work?

Thanks
    -U
    I guess they could have, but then design wouldn't have looked as clean. No, DOXA doesn't do custom work, but there are independent guys who do.
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

I guess they could have, but then design wouldn't have looked as clean. No, DOXA doesn't do custom work, but there are independent guys who do.
    Do you know any of the people who could do this kind of custom work you could recommend?

Cheers
    U

I agree..the skeleton GMT hand is not necessary for diving and useful only when out of the water. As Ty said, having it lumed could actually be a liability when diving and certainly would clutter an already complex dial. If you modified the hand you would likely lose much if not all of the value of the watch (as if the case with most owner modifications).

Quote Originally Posted by skin diver View Post
    I agree..the skeleton GMT hand is not necessary for diving and useful only when out of the water. As Ty said, having it lumed could actually be a liability when diving and certainly would clutter an already complex dial. If you modified the hand you would likely lose much if not all of the value of the watch (as if the case with most owner modifications).
    Again, if they only lumed the tip of the hand, I am not certain that we would see any compromise in the diving functionality nor would it IMHO result in too much clutter. The watch is still geared towards a world traveler. I personally wake up frequently in the middle of the night when I am in a Hotel wondering what time it is in a different country to see if I should call a friend , family member or co worker. I know I could just turn the light on, but I just don't want to

I've never understood the need for a GMT watch, even though I still have my 90s TAG and did have an Explorer 2! They were purchased based on styling.

Surely someone bright enough to be a pilot, or world-traveller can remember the time difference and add/subtract as required :)

Actually, I suspect it takes more mental energy to 'translate' the 24 hour hand than t would to remember how out of synch you with with home ....
    Have:
    1990 Roamer 200m diver, Quartz
    1991 Tag Heuer GMT quartz
    1999 Rolex Sub 16610.
    2010 Monster Orange, Strela
    2012 Rolex Exp 1.
    2013 Omega PO Liquidmetal LE, Omega SMP, 1999 model, Omega PO 42mm 2500D
    2017 Doxa 1200T Caribbean, Longines Legend Diver, Tudor BB Dark.
    2018 Tudor BB RaSP, xx/75 and xx/75, Doxa Divingstar, Pre-moon Speedmaster, Tag Monza
    2019 Seamaster Chrono, 1962, 321 movement, Speedmaster Teutonic, Tudor BB58

Had:
    1998-06 Seamaster SMP
    2007-16 Omega PO XL
    2010-15 Seiko Monster Black
    2011-13 Skyland Avenger Blacksteel, Daytona, Explorer 2
    2014-18 Obris Morgan Predata, black, Obris Morgan Predata, blasted
    2014 Helberg CH6, Raven Deeptech, Bombfrog, Skagen
    2015-17 Steinhart Ocean Black. Unreliable movement repaired
    2015-18 Steinhart T500. Unreliable movement replaced.
    2017-17 Bulova Moonwatch, Seiko Turtle PADI, Seiko Turtle Pepsi
    2018-19 1969, Zenith Defy x2 (70s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vlciudoli View Post
    I've never understood the need for a GMT watch, even though I still have my 90s TAG and did have an Explorer 2! They were purchased based on styling.

Surely someone bright enough to be a pilot, or world-traveller can remember the time difference and add/subtract as required :)

Actually, I suspect it takes more mental energy to 'translate' the 24 hour hand than t would to remember how out of synch you with with home ....
    You could make the same argument about the diving bezel. Why do you need one if all it takes is to remember where the minute hand is before you start the dive?

It's just convenience and "cool factor" more than anything else, at least IMHO.

You could make the same argument about the diving bezel. Why do you need one if all it takes is to remember where the minute hand is before you start the dive?

It's just convenience and "cool factor" more than anything else, at least IMHO.
    it would seem like a simple thing to remember, but with the onset of nitrogen narcosis, along with all the other things one might have to think about or remember during a dive, it's far too easy to forget where the hand was on the dial. A forgetful moment that could be fatal.

In the 1950s, when there were waterproof watches, but proper dive watches with rotating bezels were hard to find, divers would reset their regular watch to 12:00. This way it would be easy to track dive time, even dive times that went beyond an hour. This method worked, but the draw-back was that you couldn't set it in the water if you forgot to set before jumping in, and you'd also have to reset your watch to local time after the diving day was done. The development of the rotating bezel made life much easier.
    skin diver likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information