Almost there

Thread: Almost there

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Almost there

I bought a Vintage 300T Searambler for $300 about 6 months back...and have nearly finished bringing her back from the dead.
    She wasnt in the best of condition when I bought her....no strap, no bezel, not serviced since 1981 *it was written inside the backplate (in fact a face plate holding screw came loose very soon after I got her and managed to get stuck in the mechanism...now sorted thanks to local watch repairer) Weird sort of mottled effect on one side of the dial, scratched crystal, scratched case (not too bad)
    Anyhow here is how she stands now.
    New Rice bead Strap (750T new one filed to fit)
    New Crystal....looks lovely
    Polished the case so no scratches.
    Serviced...back as good as new said the local watch tinkerer shop man....its the first he'd seen in a long time...though he knew what she was as soon as he saw her.
    New bezel though its taken 4 to find one that fits....which reminds me I have a 31mm inner diameter metric bezel if anyone wants to buy one.
    The last piece of the jigsaw is the dial....its a shame really as apart from a wierd sort of mottled effect on the right hand side its actucally in good condition.
    Ohh and the only other slight pain is it doesnt have a doxa crown....its got one with a sort of hourglass symbol on it (any ideas as to the make?)

\-/
    /_\

I take it my watch would now be classed as a Frankendoxa (which makes me feel like she's not as worthy as a factory spec one)
    But then again I've bought one of these great watches back from the brink of the wastebin...So I guess it cant be too bad.
    I'll post some pics if people want to see!

I've always wanted an orange dial doxa but beggers couldnt be choosers at the time of buying...but I think I might swap or sell on when I've finished her so that I can get the orange one of my dreams. he he

Re: Almost there

Fink,

By all means we love pictures here! Sounds like you did a good thing, "bringing one back from the edge" as you say.

I don't think you should consider it a frankendoxa, it's not that unusual to see a different crown (I'm waiting for my watchmaker to find one for my searambler). Since Doxa doesn't have any NOS parts for the older models we don't have much choice.

Enjoy your Doxa and wear it with pride, it's like restoring a car, you get more joy out of driving it knowing you did some of the work on it.

Take care Randy
    Overtime: The fuel for the Doxaholic engine.

Here she is with old bezel and obviously an unfinished dial.

sorry they are blurry

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fink View Post
    Here she is with old bezel and obviously an unfinished dial.

sorry they are blurry
    I wouldn't worry about the crown either. To me, it's just part of it's history.

If I remember correctly, the hour glass symbol on the crown, is that of Edox. There's probably a guy out there with a vintage Edox, wondering why his crown says D-O-X-A.
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

I wish you had a little better pictures because I am not sure I would do anything else to the watch. The way you described it, I expected something much worse. I wonder if you can get any clearer images of the dial? I really don't think it looks too bad.

I think it is a pretty good looking rambler and with the USD logo to boot
    Best Regards,
    Jason

You did a nice job on your Searambler, Fink. Sympathetic restorations like yours are far more appealing to me than NOS looking over-restorations.

Congratulations and wear her in good health!

I agree, it looks pretty good even with the "old" bezel and unfinished dial... that's a sub you can be proud of.

It's sort of like a badge of honor - when they've been used and abused for several decades, and are still around to tell the tale (and the time).
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have. - Gerald Ford

I think it looks good. Regarding the 31 mm bezel - I may be interested for my Divingstar 300T - it's an Aubry era dial but possibly Synchron case - does anyone know if a bezel like this may fit mine, or am I wasting my time?
    I know there are differences between bezels and they are notoriously hard to match. Advice please?
    Dave

Here is the dial in more close up...it was pretty much like this when I bought her....however I had had the new glass and scratches sorted in this pic.

Hi again....just a quick question
    Its amazing really...for ages I'd been wondering what the symbol on my 300T's crown was...then someone tells me on here and blow me if my uncle then doesnt show me a watch with exactly the same symbol on the next day!
    Anyhow I've got the opertunity to get an edox automatic watch very cheep...off said uncle who has had it for years and wants to get rid of a lot of old watches....(such a shame it wasnt the edox with my doxa crown...he he)
    Anyhow I did a bit of research on them and noticed that they use exactly the same ETA movement as the old vintage doxa's....same number movement....but obviously stamped edox rather than doxa.
    So I was wondering....seeing as my doxa is obviously rather old...would it be worth me getting this edox off my uncle to keep in case my movement in my doxa ever decides to die a death?....I could then use the edox movement and put it in my doxa.

I know it wouldnt be stamped doxa....but surely doxa and a whole host of other watch manifacturers just buy in ETA movements and then stamp them with their own name prior to fitting in their watches.....so it would be exactly the same movement just with the wrong name.

What do you guys think.
    Obviously its going to be near impossible to get a vintage Doxa mechanism...so this has got to be the next best thing?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information