Arghhhh !! I just removed all the paint from my dial !! The Nymph lives again !! :)))

Thread: Arghhhh !! I just removed all the paint from my dial !! The Nymph lives again !! :)))

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Arghhhh !! I just removed all the paint from my dial !! The Nymph lives again !! :)))

Hi All,

I was let down badly by a company over the last six months trying to get the dial re-dialed for this watch so I thought what the heck why not give it a go yourself How hard can it be

The Nymph had been filled with water and then left to rust solid until I got my hands on her.

The movement was rusted solid and the hands were rusted onto the face. The dial was completely trashed.

I managed to save the original autowinder from the movement and I got hold of another movement from India, albeit with a red date wheel, and added the auto winder to it. The hands were quite badly damaged when they were finally removed from the face.

Next up I had to remove all dirt and rust from the case, it really did come up quite well.

Finally the scary part......I removed all the paint from the dial to get to the base metal as I wanted to use this as the basis for the new dial and not re-paint it silver.

Halfway, I actually felt sick with worry doing this

Nearly there.

Now just bare metal !!!!!!!

So here's what I got......

It took me six hours measuring and drawing the dial, I know she's not perfect, its is after all my first attempt , but she's another DOXA back from the dead. I still have to figure out lume on the dial and I want to finish the hands back to what they should look like with lume and red hands etc

She's running strong as an ox and I'm pretty chuffed to finally get this one running. She's pretty special now as she's totally individual but still basically a DOXA Nymph that took a load of work (and money !!) and a shed load of effort but worth every minute and penny

Next up is my SEAMAID for re-dial.

Cheers

Simon
    Too many watches

Ohhhh and a Doxa Sub Conquistador !!!!!!

Re: Arghhhh !! I just removed all the paint from my dial !! The Nymph lives again !! :)))

great work simon. that is a one of a kind beauty.
    Kobold Phantom Tactical
    Kobold Large Soarway Diver
    Kobold SS Seal
    DOXA SUB 750T GMT Professional
    DOXA SUB 600T T-Graph searambler
    DOXA SUB 1200T HRV Searambler
    DOXA SUB 1200T HRV Diving With Legends
    DOXA SUB 200T Seamaid (wife)
    DOXA SUB 4000T Sapphire Sharkhunter

Re: Arghhhh !! I just removed all the paint from my dial !! The Nymph lives again !! :)))

wow that is a lot of love and hard work you put in to that.i am very impresed with the dial job you did.my hat is off to you sir.
    i am hooked on automatics

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

DMB
    Banned

Wow ... who cares if it isn't perfectly original. That is one sweet looking vintage. It has incredible character. Very well done. - David

Excellent work Simon ... But damn ... red date wheel?? Couldn't you at least find an orange one .... geeezzzz.

Keep it up.

John
    John M.

I bet you could probably get a job at Doxa and get a reasonable discount on the reissues. You might even get a few vintage pieces that are lying around, just waiting for a little rejuvenation.

Nice job. Keep us updated as she progresses.
    Best Regards,
    Jason

Very interesting project, Simon.

So what is the base metal? It looks silver, so I assume it is aluminum or nickel or stainless steel? Raw steel would start to rust shortly, as did the original hands.

And the new dial layout, was it "drawn" with pen and ink? Or painted with some type of paint? Is there a clear coat over it, to protect from discoloration and moisture damage?

I've always wondered about dial reworks, and heard about templates and printing etc...
    You're a brave man :)
    DW

Thanks for the comments guys's its most appreciated

Jason - If you could have a word in Rick's ear tell him I'll work for just the privilege of sweeping the floor at the factory, you never know whats rolled behing cupboards and under desks over the years

David - The dial was drawn on a computer, not scanned, and it took me six hours to measure each feature and its position manually and then input them......by the end of it I was seeing triple !!!! The base metal appears to be aluminium, I did'nt want to paint it as I would have to spray it to get a reasonable finish. I think the aluminium will oxidise after a while anyway and give a duller finish.

I'm going to start on the SEAMAID tonight as it's dial, when you look any closer than a foot is pretty terrible

Cheers

Simon
    Too many watches

Ohhhh and a Doxa Sub Conquistador !!!!!!

Very good effort...well done!

Wow that's awesome. I admire your dedication. What do you use to clean off the rust...?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information