Automatic winders help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By skin diver
  • 1 Post By skin diver
  • 1 Post By Jason71

Thread: Automatic winders help

Automatic winders help

I just scored an auto winder for my anniversary and not sure what setting to use or if it even matters? Not much came in the way of instructions?
    These are the instructions, what mode should I use??, 1,2,3 or 4???Attachment 1017607Attachment 1017608

United and Undaunted.

Rolex Seadweller.
    Doxa 1200T "United and Undaunted" #001

Automatic winders help

Matt, the DOXA (ETA 2824) calls for 650 revolutions per day (TPD) to keep wound. The Rolex, depending on the movement is between 600-800. Both are bidirectional.

Start at the lowest setting you need to keep 'em running and adjust accordingly. I use my winders sparingly... less wear and tear the better I figure.
    Belldiver likes this.

Re: Automatic winders help

Interestingly they all produce the same amount of revolutions by my working out. 2160 revolutions in a 24 hour period. Its approx 6 secs for one revolution. I think i'll go with 3??

United and Undaunted.

Rolex Seadweller.
    Doxa 1200T "United and Undaunted" #001

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Automatic winders help

That is interesting... I didn't do the math before replying! I used to have a winder that didn't slow down enough. I ended up using a lamp timer and adjusted it to power up the winder to my needs. Try that on an alternating direction setting and you're golden.
    Belldiver likes this.

Re: Automatic winders help

Quote Originally Posted by Belldiver View Post
    Interestingly they all produce the same amount of revolutions by my working out. 2160 revolutions in a 24 hour period. Its approx 6 secs for one revolution. I think i'll go with 3??
    I honestly would use setting "4" because of the long sleep interval. This gives the mainspring time to be fully wound and then also to discharge significantly. One problem with using winders are the type that just wind all the time. This will keep your watch wound nearly 100% and over time the mainspring could develop a weakened spot. I have seen instances posted here on WUS of this occurring and it adversely affected the power reserve. I like how yours has the option of a 9-hour sleep interval. Seems to me that it would "exercise" the mainspring better than keeping it wound completely.

JMHO, and take it for what it is worth.........
    Last edited by Jason71; March 22nd, 2013 at 14:25.
    skin diver likes this.
    Best Regards,
    Jason

Thread Information