Back From Roatan!!

Thread: Back From Roatan!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Back From Roatan!!

Well Kathy and I got back safe and sound on Sat. So we missed all the excitement. I had a great 2 weeks there. The first week Kathy and I had the resort all to ourselves!!! So had my own personal divemaster and guide. Lots of room on the boat as well!! Second week was a full house but that was okay ... we were getting a little lonely. The good thing was not everyone was diving so again no issues with the boat.

I was trying out my new housing for my DSLR and it was a learning experience to say the least. Lot different then the normal point and shoot I have used in the past.

I really wish you guys could have made the trip!!! Maybe next year.

Here is the link to the pictures enjoy and if you would like to comment or leave an entry in the guestbook please do. Sorry no pictures of my 750T DP edition but that is the only watch I wore this trip ...

http://public.fotki.com/jmoors/roatan-june-2009/

John
    John M.

Metropolitan Detroit (Or is it South Florida again?)

Re: Back From Roatan!!

John, really glad to hear you got out before the coup, even though after reading up on it more, it sounds like it may not have affected travelers that much (then again, always hard to tell when something is reported to those of us so far away- what may seem minor to an outside journalist could be quite the hardship to those living it!).

Either way, glad you're back 'Stateside safe and sound, and equally glad you had a good trip. Now, I've gotta get going... I need to get a look at those pictures to see what a great time I missed! .
    Regards, T Bone.

DOXA Forum and Sales Corner Moderator

John,
    Sorry it has taken me a couple days to reply to your post. I have been perusing your pictures, but with over 400 pictures, it has taken Cheryle and I a bit to get through them. So, how about a little report? Good diving? It seems as if your pictures are pretty nice. Did you get to see quite a few different varieties of fish/wildlife? The Coral looks to be really nice. Some of your sea-fan pics are incredible.

Wish I could have been there.....maybe next year.
    Best Regards,
    Jason

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Glad you guys are back safe!! And geesh!! seems like you guys had a blast diving!! Those are some great pics, the coral looked beautiful and the visibility seemed great as well.
    Cheers,

Mike

Previously Enjoyed

DOXA 750T Sharkhunter
    DOXA 750T Professional GMT
    Seiko Prospex Ti "Samurai" SBDA003
    MKII Stingray

Metropolitan Detroit (Or is it South Florida again?)

Very cool pics (what I've seen so far!). I'm only about 1/3 of the way through them, looking forward to checking out the rest later today. John, thanks for sharing these with us!!!
    Regards, T Bone.

DOXA Forum and Sales Corner Moderator

Howdy,

Well the diving was fantastic! As I said the first week was just Kathy and I at the resort. Kathy only made 2 dives the whole trip. One a week. Also all those pictures are only from 3 dives. The rest I just dove and enjoyed without the worry of taking pictures. The weather kicked up a couple days and the seas got up to about 3 feet, so that had diving a little more fun but overall it was perfect. Lots more sea horses this trip and less "Rays" did see a couple. The reef still looks great at this end of Roatan (EAST) and so lot more fish. Water was 86-88 degrees and surface tips around the same.

Mike the new owner of the ReefHouse has been very busy fixing things up around there and it shows. He has replaced the roof on all the buildings ... no more leaks. He also put in a dresser and flat screen TV in all the rooms. While there he had all the outside chairs and tables re-finished. So he is really fixing everything and it shows. He is a great guy and is also the diving instructor there.

Still no Nitrox, but it might be in the future. Alot is going to depend on how much business he gets. He is looking at ways to get advertisements out. The other owners basically went with word of mouth and that isn't getting the place filled. As I said Kathy and I had the place to ourselves the first week.

When it is all said and done ... Kathy and I will be going there once a year mim, and to tell you the truth I wouldn't mind buying a house there, something to look into.

John

Awesome pictures!!!! Looking at these pictures and everyone elses pics of their watches and diving just makes me want to go out and get my certification more and more. Only problem is being stationed in the middle of Missouri kind of puts a hamper on those kinds of things. Plus being in the military makes it a little more difficult to choose either going home to visit my parents or go do something like that.

But the more I see, the more jealous and anxious I'm get to be able to fully experience the wonders of diving myself.

I'm glad you had a great time :).

Quote Originally Posted by jmoors View Post
    Howdy,

Well the diving was fantastic! As I said the first week was just Kathy and I at the resort. Kathy only made 2 dives the whole trip. One a week. Also all those pictures are only from 3 dives. The rest I just dove and enjoyed without the worry of taking pictures. The weather kicked up a couple days and the seas got up to about 3 feet, so that had diving a little more fun but overall it was perfect. Lots more sea horses this trip and less "Rays" did see a couple. The reef still looks great at this end of Roatan (EAST) and so lot more fish. Water was 86-88 degrees and surface tips around the same.

Mike the new owner of the ReefHouse has been very busy fixing things up around there and it shows. He has replaced the roof on all the buildings ... no more leaks. He also put in a dresser and flat screen TV in all the rooms. While there he had all the outside chairs and tables re-finished. So he is really fixing everything and it shows. He is a great guy and is also the diving instructor there.

Still no Nitrox, but it might be in the future. Alot is going to depend on how much business he gets. He is looking at ways to get advertisements out. The other owners basically went with word of mouth and that isn't getting the place filled. As I said Kathy and I had the place to ourselves the first week.

When it is all said and done ... Kathy and I will be going there once a year mim, and to tell you the truth I wouldn't mind buying a house there, something to look into.

John
    Ok, so thank you for the report. Cheryle really wants to know all the wildlife that you saw. I am trying to drum-up her excitement for going and it takes quite a number of different sea creatures and "not too deep" water. Cozumel and Roatan are the 2 top places on the list for us. (other than south pacific)

So far, I saw the pic of the spotted drum and you said you saw rays and Seahorses. The Seahorses are a definite + for getting Cheryle interested. Any other notable wildlife?? (Puffers, Tarpon, Octopus, Squid, etc):thanks
    Best Regards,
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by jclevoy View Post
    Ok, so thank you for the report. Cheryle really wants to know all the wildlife that you saw. I am trying to drum-up her excitement for going and it takes quite a number of different sea creatures and "not too deep" water. Cozumel and Roatan are the 2 top places on the list for us. (other than south pacific)

So far, I saw the pic of the spotted drum and you said you saw rays and Seahorses. The Seahorses are a definite + for getting Cheryle interested. Any other notable wildlife?? (Puffers, Tarpon, Octopus, Squid, etc):thanks
    Okay Jason ... I saw just about everything you have. Spotted Eagle Rays, Normal Rays ... had one swim right by me. Lots of Squid, last dive had 7 in formation right in front of us for about 5 minutes. Another dive I had 3 come over to me and check me out for several minutes and those guys were pretty big. Haven't seen any Tarpon, lots of Puffers, Jaw Fish, Goat Fish, Tangs, etc .... Lots and lots of Lobster, and Crabs ... During night dive normally one a week ... lobsters and Octopus roaming around free rather than being in hiding. Saw several Toad Fish ...

On top of the wall you are usually 20 -45 feet, if you drop off the wall we normally stay 60-80 feet. A couple wonderful swim throughs, Key Hole and Calvins Crack. Calvins Crack is my favorite site. Vis is normally 60 - 100+ feet.

Jason the best deal besides the diving is the cost!!! Please go back and take a look at the other post I had ... it cost us around $80-90 with the discounts I was able to arrange for a group. That covers the room, 3 "Good" meals a day, 3 tank dive ( 2 in the morning, 1 after lunch) unlimited shore diving and it is fantastic ... 150-200 feet swim to the wall!! Airport pickup and drop off. You can't find a better deal, hell the 3 tank dive most places in the states alone cost more per day and that is not counting the room and board ... I even flew us 1st Class this last trip and it still cost me less for the 2 weeks compared to the 1 week in GC.

I think we might be looking at Feb. for our next trip there. Not sure yet ... Maybe you need to come with us next time just to make sure it would be good for Cheryle!!! Just kidding Cheryle .... hahahahaha

Trust me .... you would love it there!!!

John
    John M.

DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmoors View Post
    Howdy,

John
    John,

I can definitely tell that you guys had an awesome time.

Regarding Mike building his business....many dive shops, in addition to equipment sales and training, also book travel for their customers. For Mike to grow his business, he needs to start promoting the resort through dive shops. The best way for him to do that is through shows such as DEMA. DEMA is specifically for dive retailers. If he can get the dive shops behind him, then they'll send him all the busines he can handle.
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information