Been wanting to get something off my chest...

Thread: Been wanting to get something off my chest...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Metropolitan Detroit (Or is it South Florida again?)

Been wanting to get something off my chest...

Guys, sorry for a bit of a rant here, but please bear with me.

From the Doxa Forum rules above:

"No linking to live auctions. Linking to a live auction really is a double edged sword. You may get the information you need, but you're only hurting your chance of getting a good deal in the end. More over, if you have no interest in the item yourself, you have possibly hurt someone else's chance of getting a good deal".

Yes, it goes on to state we can link to items of historical significance, but hey. Those can be linked and discussed after the gavel falls!

See this post on the Dive Watch forum....

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=78941

SnapIT (Breitling Forum Moderator) also posted thoughts on this subject, and stated it about as well as I've seen it. Can't seem to find it now, if I do I'll link it.

Edit: Okay, I found it. First is the thread name, then SnapIT's response to the post (echoes my thoughts perfectly!).

Re: Nice deal for someone...wife won't let me

G'day Denny,

Thanks for the heads up. The thing is, the forum is not here to spruke ebay auctions. We all know ebay is just a click away and spend much time there looking and dreaming and bidding when the price is right. We could post 10, 15, 20 auctions a day that are interesting in one way or another but refrain because at the end of the day you might be queering an auction for someone and not have the faintest idea the one of us are interested and looking to maximize the situation. Fair cop? I could point you to forum rule 3 but I think that would be over the top in this instance. Thanks for posting!

I hope SnapIT doesn't mind me borrowing his words. And I hope the members here will consider these thoughts before posting "the grail is on the 'Bay", or "Best example of XXX I'v seen in some time" or the like. Really doesn't serve any purpose that couldn't be discussed after the auction closes!
    Last edited by T Bone; August 15th, 2007 at 06:03. Reason: Found it!
    Regards, T Bone.

DOXA Forum and Sales Corner Moderator

Re: Been wanting to get something off my chest...

Hey T, I agree with you. No live auction postings at all. Ebay is a crap shoot at best and if people take the time to search and find something that others haven't bothered to look for, then they deserve the (probably very slight) edge.

Pete

It really bothers me when someone who never posts here or uses another name decides to give a heads up on a Doxa auction.I am guessing 90% of the time they are pushing their own auctions.I think most guys here are like me and dont need to be told,we are ALWAYS watching.
    --Doxa 300t silver Conquistador He Valve--
    Doxa silver Conquistador (no He valve)-
    -Doxa 300t Reissue Divingstar(seahunter caseback)--
    Doxa 300t Reissue Sharkhunter

Doxa SUB600 T-Graph Pro Reissue (2005)
    Doxa 300t sharkhunter--
    Aqualung U.S.Divers Sharkhunter (Quartz)
    Panerai Pam86-- Panerai Pam199 Regatta --Panera Pam217 Destro --Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch Sapphire caseback---Omega Seamaster PreBond-
    2002 Marathon Sar

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have been wondering why live auctions are always allowed on the Doxa forum but not on the others...I for one would like to see that forum rule enforced here.

Just my .02, Mike W.
    NAWCC Member

"All my possessions for a moment of time" - Queen Elizabeth I

Currently: Panerai, Omega, Rolex, Ball, Muhle Glashutte, Laco, Ocean7, Doxa, Bathys, and one or two others .

Yeah I made that mistake last night but tried to fix it. I checked the rules and realized I messed up. :oops:

Guys, I agree. We've been a bit lax about enforcing this rule, but we'll try harder to make sure no live auctions are linked unless they contain something fraudulent. 'Historically significant' items, as T-Bone so eloquently put it, should be discussed after the gavel falls. (And by 'we' I mean ALL of us forum members, right....?!?!? )

Paul

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MikeW View Post
    I have been wondering why live auctions are always allowed on the Doxa forum but not on the others...I for one would like to see that forum rule enforced here.

Just my .02, Mike W.
    I see people all the time questioning the authenticity of a watch in an auction and post the link to the auction. When I was shopping around for my Seamaster, I ended up finding my deal on ebay, and while I wasn't an expert on Omega watches, I had questions about its authenticity that I didn't feel comfortable relying on myself to answer. What I did was swipe a few photos and post them in the Omega forum, not show the link off to the whole world.

I agree

My Son and I, St. Thomas
    Rolex Sea Dweller 16600

Enicar Sherpa Guide GMT
    Omega Seamaster Soccer Timer
    Breitling Navitimer 806
    IWC Mark XVIII
    Heuer Autavia 11630

a contrary viewpoint

Personally I like to see links to other forums, sites auctions etc. I don't have the time myself to surf the myriad of watch related websites, so I find it handy if someone posts an aution on, for example, this forum so enthusiasts here don't miss out on something nice. Yes it opens up more bidders and potentially a higher prices as a result, but I would rather take the risk of that that potentially miss a nice peice.
    My opinion FWIW.
    Cheers,

Keith

Agreed with TBone.

Yesterday, I won an auction on a Fortis watch that surely would have sold for several hundred more if it were posted on a forum. Whew!

Lets enforce the rules and keep eBay fair to everyone. If you want something on eBay, you have to put some time in and find it like everyone else does.

Good post!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information