Black Searambler on ebay

Thread: Black Searambler on ebay

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Northern Virginia USA
    Posts
    352

    Black Searambler on ebay

    I woke up this morning and looked on ebay. This black dialed Searambler 300T was up for a Buy It Now price of $979. I was going to buy it, but I got out Doc's book to do a little reasearch first. Lo and behold, I think that this is the exact same watch on page 257 in his book. If it is, its a franken. I passed on the watch, but it sold quick. Any thoughts?

    http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-DOXA-SUB-30...QQcmdZViewItem
    whaler

    Doxa Sub 750T Sharkhunter
    Doxa Sub 750T Searambler



  2. #2
    Member Flyingdoctor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    2,536

    Re: Black Searambler on ebay

    Hands aren't original, crown isn't original and looks like an angle grinder was used on the caseback.

    Pete

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    125

    Re: Black Searambler on ebay

    With respect doc....
    ...but in your orange bible there is no picture with a black searambler dial.
    I am afraid that the "franken" and "fake" virus is coming our way, unfortunately.
    Regards,
    Adrian.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member Flyingdoctor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    2,536

    Re: Black Searambler on ebay

    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
    With respect doc....
    ...but in your orange bible there is no picture with a black searambler dial.
    I am afraid that the "franken" and "fake" virus is coming our way, unfortunately.
    Regards,
    Adrian.
    Adrian,

    don't have it in front of me but the fact that the black dial says searambler doesn't concern me as there are lots of instances of dials having the "wrong" name. I think the dial is genuine but the watch looks like it has been assembled with parts from different eras. The minute and hour hands look like SUB 300, the sweep hand is probably correct. The crown is non Doxa. The caseback could be correct but it has been polished or ground so much it is now impossible to tell. The bezel looks like a later model but hard to tell without the book in front of me. I'd be interested to see what she looked like inside.

    The watch is mildly Franken, but still looks OK and a bit of time spent dressing her up and she would do very nicely. The thing to remember is that the watch is likely over 35 years old and they are few and far between, especially with a searambler wording on a sharkhunder dial makes it even more rare.

    Pete
    Last edited by Jason71; December 13th, 2007 at 19:59.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    125

    Confused Re: Black Searambler on ebay


    Hi doc,
    Now I am a bit confused. You say that a black dial intended for a Sharky maybe could be used for a Searambler watch. Well that is amazing and if true, we can forget about recognising the "Frankens" and the "Fakes" among the "Vintages". I would say as a reference, let us use the data from your book as the Doxa truth. If there is compelling evidence that the data in the orange bible should be revised, ok that's fine. But bringing up the first black searambler dial ever, is that enough to change from grey to black?
    Regards,
    Adrian.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Aberdeen, UK
    Posts
    1,366

    Re: Black Searambler on ebay

    IMO it was a very cheap - first black Rambler i've heard of.

    Purchased by a member - Frank i think it is? - well done.

    David.

  8. #7
    Moderator Jason71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    14,282

    Re: Black Searambler on ebay

    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post

    Hi doc,
    Now I am a bit confused. You say that a black dial intended for a Sharky maybe could be used for a Searambler watch. Well that is amazing and if true, we can forget about recognising the "Frankens" and the "Fakes" among the "Vintages". I would say as a reference, let us use the data from your book as the Doxa truth. If there is compelling evidence that the data in the orange bible should be revised, ok that's fine. But bringing up the first black searambler dial ever, is that enough to change from grey to black?
    Regards,
    Adrian.
    Adrian, it is my opinion that we have only seen the tip of the iceberg concerning vintage Doxas. Doxa only now is gaining popularity. I wouldn't be surprised if we see some Conquistador HRVs come out of the woodwork over the next couple years, along with a couple more Poseidon's. It is widely accepted that Doxa put out some Silver-dialed sharkhunters. So it is not a far cry to think that they may have made some black-dialed Searamblers. It is difficult to prove or disprove without close examination by an expert.

    Either way, To pay less than $1000 for a watch in that condition was a pretty good deal.

    Just my 2c
    Best Regards,
    Jason





  9. #8
    Member Flyingdoctor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    2,536

    Re: Black Searambler on ebay

    Quote Originally Posted by jclevoy View Post
    Adrian, it is my opinion that we have only seen the tip of the iceberg concerning vintage Doxas. Doxa only now is gaining popularity. I wouldn't be surprised if we see some Conquistador HRVs come out of the woodwork over the next couple years, along with a couple more Poseidon's. It is widely accepted that Doxa put out some Silver-dialed sharkhunters. So it is not a far cry to think that they may have made some black-dialed Searamblers. It is difficult to prove or disprove without close examination by an expert.

    Either way, To pay less than $1000 for a watch in that condition was a pretty good deal.

    Just my 2c
    Thanks Jason. Nicely put. I agree completely. It is difficult to know what happened 35 - 40 years ago. Hell, I can't remember what I had for breakfast on Monday

    Regarding an update to the book. Sure that is very likely to happen sometime. I believe as more info come out it will be necessary. I now need some decent photos of that watch so if one of the Doxa family bought it an is reading this, please take some nice pics when you get it and slide a couple my way I'll be happy to use them and add your name to the acknowledgements in any future version.

    Pete

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Fargo, N. Dak.
    Posts
    189

    Re: Black Searambler on ebay

    Hey Pete,
    I don't have a black faced Searambler, but I do have a silver faced Sharkhunter. If you come to Searaider 2008, you can take all the pictures you want (although it does look just like the one in your book except mine has the original ratchet band).
    Just my shameless way to tempt you to come diving with us.
    Merry Christmas, Randy
    Overtime: The fuel for the Doxaholic engine.

  11. #10
    Member WORKSIMON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    693

    Re: Black Searambler on ebay

    Hi guys,

    Just an idea from a complete novice, but could the dial not be a new replica replacement. Theres a guy on ebay that rekons he can copy any dial. Not sure if its pertinant but the position of "swiss" on the dial is higher than on my synchron and a few pics I just quickly checked.

    Just a thought !

    Simon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •