Changing 750 GMT bracelet to rubber strap

Thread: Changing 750 GMT bracelet to rubber strap

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Changing 750 GMT bracelet to rubber strap

Hello all. First post here. Have had the Divingstar 750 GMT (#202/1000) since November and am loving it, but just got the Doxa rubber strap to change the look up a bit. Does anyone know if this is something I can switch myself (and if so, how), or is it best left for a jeweler?

Thanks a lot of any advice you may have.

Re: Changing 750 GMT bracelet to rubber strap

Welcome to the forum and congrats on a great watch.
    To answer your question, I guess it depends on how comfortable you are at changing bands.
    I remember a discussion earlier on changing the bracelet. You can try a search on bracelet changing and maybe find it (or another fourm member can direct you better that I).
    I will caution you that it is very important that you not bend the spring bars when removing the bracelet.
    I found it easier to remove the bracelet than to re-install it, especially until I did it a few times.
    The rubbers for the 750 case are great but tend to want to be straight rather than curved. This is especially noticeable on smaller wrists (less that about 7") which I think put a bit more strain on the spring bars.
    Good luck on your inevitable next Doxa purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by jiw33 View Post
    Hello all. First post here. Have had the Divingstar 750 GMT (#202/1000) since November and am loving it, but just got the Doxa rubber strap to change the look up a bit. Does anyone know if this is something I can switch myself (and if so, how), or is it best left for a jeweler?

Thanks a lot of any advice you may have.
    I have changed several times from bracelet to strap. It is not that difficult as long as you have the fork like tool to pop the spring bar from the back of the bracelet. if you turn the watch on it's front you will see the crevice where you can pop the spring bar. For me popping them off was easy.

Now to get the strap on i insert the spring bar in the strap and put one side of the spring bar inside the wholes in the part where the spring bar goes. This can be tricky you need to be able to maneuver the other spring bar in the other hole. I use a flat butter knife to press on the spring bar so it safely slides in the other hole. This can be time consuming in that sometimes things don't line up properly. But rest assured if you are vigilant you can do this yourself.

i am by no means a pro. and, if i can do this any one can.

good luck
    Thanks Nick

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Metropolitan Detroit (Or is it South Florida again?)

Quote Originally Posted by twostirish222 View Post
    I have changed several times from bracelet to strap. It is not that difficult as long as you have the fork like tool to pop the spring bar from the back of the bracelet. if you turn the watch on it's front you will see the crevice where you can pop the spring bar. For me popping them off was easy.

Now to get the strap on i insert the spring bar in the strap and put one side of the spring bar inside the wholes in the part where the spring bar goes. This can be tricky you need to be able to maneuver the other spring bar in the other hole. I use a flat butter knife to press on the spring bar so it safely slides in the other hole. This can be time consuming in that sometimes things don't line up properly. But rest assured if you are vigilant you can do this yourself.

i am by no means a pro. and, if i can do this any one can.

good luck
    This sounds right, but I will add, it is wisest to work from the back of the watch. That way, if you were to slip and scratch the watch, you are far less likely to scratch where visible.
    Regards, T Bone.

DOXA Forum and Sales Corner Moderator

I did this with my Sharkhunter 750T and it was very easy with a spring bar tool - I would not recommend doing it without one though. With bracelets I always pop out the microadjust springbar (you can use a thumbtack or pushpin for that) at the clasp (to split the bracelet in half) - that makes taking out the spring bars much easier. Or, since its a GMT bracelet, just unscrew one of the links.
    Lots of dive watches.

Thanks for the tips--with my luck/skill set I'll take it in to a pro to handle just in case. On a side note I am a bit disappointed that the band may not be a good fit for a 6.5 inch wrist size. You'd think it would "work" for all holes in the band, not just the ones towards the end. Can anyone else with a wrist smaller than 7 inches comment on the point re: the fact that the GMT w/ rubber strap doesn't fit right/comfortably?

Unfortunately, I have to admit that my just over 6.5" wrist finds the rubber strap uncomfortable. I found that I wasn't at the smallest hole, but the form fitting strap curves as it leaves that case for a much larger wrist. This created pressure in the sides of my wrist as I tried to keep it tight enough not to slide all over the place.

I hope it works out for you. The good news is that the bracelet is the most comfortable one I have ever worn.

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Unfortunately, I have to admit that my just over 6.5" wrist finds the rubber strap uncomfortable. I found that I wasn't at the smallest hole, but the form fitting strap curves as it leaves that case for a much larger wrist. This created pressure in the sides of my wrist as I tried to keep it tight enough not to slide all over the place.

I hope it works out for you. The good news is that the bracelet is the most comfortable one I have ever worn.
    I know what you speak of. I think it's due to the extended part of the underside of the strap that snugs it up to the case. If this can be sliced off, I think the strap would follow the wrist immediately rather than first being entended outward from the wrist. By slicing this off, the strap would function more as a normal strap a be able to rotate down easier on the springbar.

Thanks for the tip. Do you think cutting away that part of the underside would compromise the strength of the strap?

Quote Originally Posted by jiw33 View Post
    Thanks for the tip. Do you think cutting away that part of the underside would compromise the strength of the strap?
    I dont think so. The rubber is quite thick and it's main purpose is to keep the strap tight to the case and the contour of the lugs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information