Close call!!

Thread: Close call!!

Close call!!

Today I switched from my 750T caribbean to my 600T Dirk Pitt. I set the date and time and then I must have gotten distracted by something shiny (happens to me all the time!), and I apparently forgot the screw down the crown. I know this because as I was stepping into the shower this evening, (I know, sorry for the mental picture ) I noticed the crown was unscrewed!!! Fortunately I caught it before horrible things happened!! Just a reminder to all the other forgetful Doxaholics out there...REMEMBER TO SCREW DOWN THE CROWN AFTER SETTING THE TIME!!! Fortunately precipitation isn't something we worry too much about where I live...just the shower and the pool, but still...

Another problem solved, another crisis averted!!!

Jeremy

Re: Close call!!

Quote Originally Posted by JBernstein View Post
    Today I switched from my 750T caribbean to my 600T Dirk Pitt. I set the date and time and then I must have gotten distracted by something shiny (happens to me all the time!), and I apparently forgot the screw down the crown. I know this because as I was stepping into the shower this evening, (I know, sorry for the mental picture ) I noticed the crown was unscrewed!!! Fortunately I caught it before horrible things happened!! Just a reminder to all the other forgetful Doxaholics out there...REMEMBER TO SCREW DOWN THE CROWN AFTER SETTING THE TIME!!! Fortunately precipitation isn't something we worry too much about where I live...just the shower and the pool, but still...

Jeremy
    Jeremy, that was a close call. And to your 600T DP!!! That would have royally stunk. Thanks for the heads-up. I will now be more anal when setting the time.......
    Best Regards,
    Jason

DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JBernstein View Post

Jeremy
    I know the feeling. It was several years ago on New Years Eve. Not much going on that night, so I decided it would be a good time to test a dry suit thermal that I had been working on. My outside pool temp was around 40 degrees. Perfect conditions for an hour or two submersion test.

Freezing my tail off I gear up, set the Sea-Dweller and jump in. After about 30 minutes underwater, I looked to check the time and noticed my crown was out. Damn!!...I screwed it back in and hoped for the best. I kept checking it throughout the dive and all appeared normal. I was keeping my fingers crossed that the trip-lock crown had done it's job in only six feet of water.

Well as soon as the test was over, I went inside to warm up. I checked the time and the crystal was already fogging. Since it was New Years Eve, it would be a couple of days before I could get it to my Rolex watchmaker. Quickly, I unscrewed the crown, set it crown-side-up on a table and positioned a desk lamp, so it would shine on the back...warming the case. On Jan. 2, I took the SD to the Rolex guy. Luckily the watch hadn't sustained any damage, but it did warrant a minor cleaning and lube.

Now I'm overly paranoid about leaving a crown unscrewed. I find myself getting OC when I'm in the water, checking my crown ever so often.
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

A shower probably wouldn't have been a huge issue, but better safe than sorry!
    Cheers,

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by subkrawler View Post
    It was several years ago on New Years Eve. Not much going on that night, so I decided it would be a good time to test a dry suit thermal that I had been working on.
    New Years Eve and dry suit................what's wrong with this picture ?
    Scottie

Weird coincidence, just the other day I was wearing my 600DP and a sales person in a watch store looked over and said "hey, your crown is unscrewed".

Since I change watches daily, I am forever setting the correct date and time, then giving it 10 or 15 winds, then I'm off to work. I almost never screw the crown down, to save wear and tear on the threads. I think it started with my Seiko marine master with the fickle threads.

Your DP would have been fine, the crown stem has a gasket on it.
    DW

Quote Originally Posted by ssmith View Post
    We used to suit up and bring in the New Year wakeboarding on Smith Lake (Rixen cable pull system). Granted it was North Carolina and the water temp was only in the mid 40's. Everyone ski'd with what they brung and I only had a 3mm shortie (and a gallon of Irish coffee in me).

Below is my best mate who later went on to win gold in cable wakeboarding at the 2005 World Games here in Germany.

I'm not sure if the crown on my Sharkie rubs against my wrist or what is going on, but on a few occasions now I have found my crown unscrewed - once when opening the extension to put it on a wetsuit!

Now I'm really careful to very tightly screw down the crown.
    " Don't trust anyone who says they're too good for an SKX007 and claims to be a WIS" - A Pine Tree

Watches: Rolex GMT Master II 16760,
    Rolex Submariner 14060M, Doxa 750T Sharkhunter, Doxa 1200T Professional, Marathon SS Navigator (1992 Kuwait), Seiko SRP777, Seiko SKA427P1, Seiko SKX007, Garmin Fenix 5, Suunto Core and countless G-Shocks

DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ssmith View Post
    It's wrong...very wrong. New Year's Eve and I'm test diving equipment....I need to get a life.
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

Metropolitan Detroit (Or is it South Florida again?)

Used to be a tradition here, New Years day, a group would gather for "the first dive of the year" by the Blue Water Bridge in Port Huron. I recall one winter dive up there, a water temp of 28° F. (liquid ice). Supercooled water, moving at a swift rate (current there is an honest 2kts or so, much stronger than it sounds!) freezes at a lower temperature.

And Ty, I wonder, did you screw down the crown while underwater? I bet if you did, that's when the water got in.

I always screw mine down, every time set or wind. Only missed once or twice.
    Regards, T Bone.

DOXA Forum and Sales Corner Moderator

Thread Information