Coming Soon.......
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Coming Soon.......

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Coming Soon.......

Remember those pictures of some old diving catalogs which had vintage SUB 300T watches in them that Ty posted a few days ago? The images got me thinking about all the adverts I had used in the original DOXA book I wrote: DOXA SUB : FORTY YEARS : 1967 - 2007 and the follow up: TEN YEARS OF THE DOXA SUB. I pulled out both books and as I flicked through them I realized that there were more than enough adverts of DOXA SUBs over the last 46 years to make into a stand alone book about the adverts themselves. So that's what I'm working on now. Probably take a couple of weeks to trawl through all my hard drives to dig out the images and Ty will send me what he has but I'll make it an ebook like the 10 Year book and also available as a print version at cost for those who want that.

Quick test of the cover to whet your appetite

Re: Coming Soon.......

Excellent project, Dr Pete! So much of these companies histories are diappearing as time goes by, it's nice to see the ads and remember what used to be. Old rolex sub ads also give a wonderful view of the past.
    Thank you for doing this.

Dr. Millar - Sorry if this has been mentioned or discussed before, but might I ask, did you write the first book at the request of Doxa? Or was it written already or a project of yours prior to the relaunch of the brand in the early aughts? When I finally manage to purchase my first Doxa, whether vintage or new, I'm getting the book. I was just wondering how much of a collaboration it was with Doxa (which if it was such, was a brilliant move for a relaunch). Also any more news on the upcoming models that you've said will take their cues from the vintage 300T? Thanks.
    Last edited by MagnumsGMTMaster; July 14th, 2013 at 22:41.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The book was my idea and started as a small thing I just wanted to do but it transformed into the big, thick, coffee table book that you see now because there was just so my info that I kept unearthing. It would never have become what it did without Doxa's help and co-operation and even when it was finished it was Doxa who took the manuscript and made it a work of art.

Lips are sealed at the minute on what is coming next. Doxa's main focus is Mission 31 and realistically until it is humming along they aren't thinking about much else.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnumsGMTMaster View Post
    Dr. Millar - Sorry if this has been mentioned or discussed before, but might I ask, did you write the first book at the request of Doxa? Or was it written already or a project of yours prior to the relaunch of the brand in the early aughts? When I finally manage to purchase my first Doxa, whether vintage or new, I'm getting the book. I was just wondering how much of a collaboration it was with Doxa (which if it was such, was a brilliant move for a relaunch). Also any more news on the upcoming models that you've said will take their cues from the vintage 300T? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingdoctor View Post
    Remember those pictures of some old diving catalogs which had vintage SUB 300T watches in them that Ty posted a few days ago? The images got me thinking about all the adverts I had used in the original DOXA book I wrote: DOXA SUB : FORTY YEARS : 1967 - 2007 and the follow up: TEN YEARS OF THE DOXA SUB. I pulled out both books and as I flicked through them I realized that there were more than enough adverts of DOXA SUBs over the last 46 years to make into a stand alone book about the adverts themselves. So that's what I'm working on now. Probably take a couple of weeks to trawl through all my hard drives to dig out the images and Ty will send me what he has but I'll make it an ebook like the 10 Year book and also available as a print version at cost for those who want that.

Quick test of the cover to whet your appetite

Thank you Dr. Millar. Your efforts are greatly appreciated by me, and many!
    Last edited by nymfan; July 15th, 2013 at 01:02.

Looking forward to seeing your next book with all the Doxa adverts! Great idea!!
    Last edited by WatchDialOrange; July 15th, 2013 at 02:09.

Guys, interesting stuff I never noticed before, so here is a teaser and a no prize competition. Tell me what the subtle difference is between these adverts

http://www.doxa300t.com/frenchdifferences.pdf

C'mon Doc That's easy: the second hand square IS OF DIFFERENT COLORS!
    IGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The world is my oyster and I like the taste of it!

well spotted Michael but there is more to the story........

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingdoctor View Post
    Guys, interesting stuff I never noticed before, so here is a teaser and a no prize competition. Tell me what the subtle difference is between these adverts

http://www.doxa300t.com/frenchdifferences.pdf
    Hey Doc, dark second hand aside, are you referring to the 1969 ad also mentioning the Conquistador, T-Graph, and a ladies SUB 200? Or are you focusing on the fact that the 1969 ad uses an image of a 300 to advertise for a 300T?

The book idea is brilliant! I really love seeing images of the original equipment in action! Funny, I get nostalgic when I see these old ads, despite the fact that I was learning to walk while the ink on some of these adverts was still drying!

I look forward to adding this new creation of yours into my library!
    Omar Montaño

"The best way to observe a fish is to become a fish" - Jacques-Yves Cousteau

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information