Concern: o-ring on the crown tube of the 5000

Thread: Concern: o-ring on the crown tube of the 5000

Concern: o-ring on the crown tube of the 5000

I'm a little concerned about the o-ring on the crown tube of the new 5000T. I'm not saying it is a bad idea, but in my experience with o rings ... they don't last long until they need to be replace. Like any normal o ring do these need to be lubed now and again, and if so it seems to be another thing that I have to concerned about before hitting the water.

I've never had a watch with an o ring that I could see on the stem so that is why I am concerned.

Of course that didn't stop me from the pre-order!!!

************************************************** ******************************
    Reply by DOXA
    ************************************************** ******************************
    Dear Jim, good question here, but no reason for any concerns, every dive watch has at least 3 rubber seals, that are all made of silicon. The O-ring used on the DOXA SUB5000T is designed to last much longer than your first watch service will be due. In other words, those O-rings are designed to last for 20 years without loosing their elastcity.

DOXA S.A.
    Last edited by DOXA S.A.; November 9th, 2007 at 11:21.
    John M.

Re: Concern: o-ring on the crown tube of the 5000

John,

o-rings have been on the crown tubes of Rolex Sea-Dwellers and Submariners since the Pope was an Alter boy. I've never heard of any problems with them.

I put a tiny bit of silicon grease on my Sea-dweller when I got it and everything turns and locks down smooth as silk. Did the same on my 5000T. No worries.

Pete

Thanks for the heads up Pete .... I can handle the silicon grease. Just didn't want it to dry rot and crack .... Great to hear from you and I certainly trust ya.
    John M.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jmoors View Post
    Thanks for the heads up Pete .... I can handle the silicon grease. Just didn't want it to dry rot and crack .... Great to hear from you and I certainly trust ya.
    John, if the O-Ring is of concern, you can be most assured that Doxa as well as Rolex used PVC or Silicon based material to fabricate their O-Rings as they do not rot like natural rubber.

You might put a bit of DOW 111, or other type of silicon grease on the O-Ring, or if you have deep pockets, Krytox.
    Regards,

TKite
    Commercial Diver

Baume & Mercier Capeland S XXL, 3300ft/1000m
    Zinex Trimix, 6600ft/2000m
    Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, 3300ft/1000m
    Tissot Seastar 1000, 1000ft/300m
    Seiko Land Monster 660ft/200m
    Seiko "pepsi", 660ft/200m
    Timex Humvee, 660ft/200m

Thread Information