Confused Newb
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Confused Newb

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Confused Newb

Hey guys - I've just recently dived (sorry, had to) into the dive watch world, not knowing much. I've been studying a lot of brands and DOXA is new to me. I just can't figure out the website, particularly the the main differences between all the models. It doesn't seem like they differ that much? My sweetspot is the 44-46mm range, so I guess the 5000t (45mm) is the right choice? I'm a big watch research guy but in this case feel like an idiot, lol.
    Current Collection
    Aquadive BS300 & BS300 DLC Doxa 300 T-Graph professional Ennebi Fondale
    H2o Kalmar 2 8000m Oceanictime Helberg CH1 Marathon JSAR Rolex Oyster Royal
    Seiko SUN019 ​Sinn U1 SDR Charmex Swiss Military 20,000ft UTS 4000m WCT 1000m Diver Zixen DSR-1000, DSR-1000 GMT

Re: Confused Newb

A good start is to look over the sticky thread with the link to the PDF book: 10 Years of the DOXA SUB - A History of the modern SUB

The 5000 is a good choice. Look at the new version, the 6000t, which is available for pre-order at a discount.

Quote Originally Posted by BevHillsTrainer View Post
    Hey guys - I've just recently dived (sorry, had to) into the dive watch world, not knowing much. I've been studying a lot of brands and DOXA is new to me. I just can't figure out the website, particularly the the main differences between all the models. It doesn't seem like they differ that much? My sweetspot is the 44-46mm range, so I guess the 5000t (45mm) is the right choice? I'm a big watch research guy but in this case feel like an idiot, lol.
    The SUB 1500T would be perfect for you. I have a 1500T professional and a 1500T Searambler inbound this week. My 1500T Pro is one of my favorite pieces and I'm sure the Searambler will be too.
    DOXA SUB 1500T PVD ORANGE EDITION
    THE DOXA SUB1500T Searambler

They're 45mm and have the same bracelet as the 5000T, but are more true to historical DOXA designs except for the beads-of-rice bracelet. Same 5000 foot water resistance with automatic HE valve.
    Last edited by kgtardiff; April 17th, 2016 at 15:36.
    Cartier Pasha de Cartier XL GMT | 18k Franck Muller Cintree Curvex 2852 Chronometro | IWC Aquatimer Automatic 2000 Ref. 3568-06, Big Pilot Ref. IW500912, & Ingenieur Climate Action Ref. IW323402 | Panerai PAM00372

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Welcome! And what an iconic brand to start with. I have always had a Doxa in the rotation. Best way is to just pick one, buy it, try it and keep studying. Owning one will make it clearer, and the obsession will get worse too.... Check out the Sales Forum, they can be had very reasonably used and in excellent condition there, and you can try and later resell as you learn. I have a 750 GMT which is that size and just one of favorite watches ever.

Noting prior comments on 6000T preorder discount.....I love getting a deal on a new Doxa. Heading that way now to check it out
    wellyite likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cheshirecatiii View Post
    Welcome! And what an iconic brand to start with. I have always had a Doxa in the rotation. Best way is to just pick one, buy it, try it and keep studying. Owning one will make it clearer, and the obsession will get worse too.... Check out the Sales Forum, they can be had very reasonably used and in excellent condition there, and you can try and later resell as you learn. I have a 750 GMT which is that size and just one of favorite watches ever.

Noting prior comments on 6000T preorder discount.....I love getting a deal on a new Doxa. Heading that way now to check it out
    hey guys thanks, yeah the 6000t looks good, then there's a 750 gmt divingstar that I love. I noticed I missed the 40% of deal? Wow was that a bargain! Looks like I may be picking up an aquadive 300 first, but a DOXA will be next
    Last edited by BevHillsTrainer; April 18th, 2016 at 06:30.
    Current Collection
    Seiko SUN019 ​Sinn U1 SDR Charmex Swiss Military 20,000ft UTS 4000m WCT 1000m Diver Zixen DSR-1000, DSR-1000 GMT

Just discovered the wrist shot section, that works. I guess the confusing one is the 1200t, way smaller than the 600, 750, 1500?
    Current Collection

Ok, I've don't a bunch of home work :). Is it blasphemy that I like the 4000t sapphire bezel? What I've heard about paintissues on the traditional bezels, plus the "modern" look has me. But the 5000t is also great....
    Current Collection

Ok, I've don't a bunch of home work :). Is it blasphemy that I like the 4000t sapphire bezel? What I've heard about paintissues on the traditional bezels, plus the "modern" look has me. But the 5000t is also great....
    Hello Confused :)

I wouldn't worry too much about the paint, I've had my 1500 for a while now it doesn't appear to be a problem. Also, very easy to fix I imagine. As for the 4000t, I tried one on briefly at a local dealer. What I noticed was that it was considerable larger than the 1500 and the bracelet had a totally different feel... not as conforming perhaps. It was a nice watch though.

The 4000t is a great looking watch, even if it strays from the traditional Doxa look. If that’s the one that speaks loudest to you, then you should get it and enjoy!

The thing about Doxa is that they’re like potato chips: you can’t have just one. Later, you might find yourself taking a second look at the other models and thinking that you need to increase the size of your collection… and that’s a good thing!

As for the paint issues on the traditional bezels, it’s really a non-issue because of how easy it is to repaint/refresh.

I personally have NOT done this with my Doxas, so I can't vouch for the ease or effectiveness of any of these methods. AND maybe this is getting a little off-topic, but here are a couple of links with info about repainting the numbers on the bezel:

REPAINTING A BEZEL

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f34/per...l-1516610.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_qS2hQ5ALw

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information