Couple of old divers
Like Tree9Likes
  • 8 Post By Flyingdoctor
  • 1 Post By MHe225

Thread: Couple of old divers

Couple of old divers

Went to Galveston today to see the USS Cavalla and USS Stewart. Took along another old diver to visit with an even older one, SS-244 - USS Cavalla. Really great day out. Highly recommended if you are down that way. I used to be a ship surveyor many moons ago and crawled through some pretty nasty double bottom and forepeak tanks but I'm a a complete wuss compared to the real men who served on those ships during the war. People like me just live in their world, they own it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Couple of old divers

Pete,

you should have let me know that you were in my "backyard" - everything is relative, but given the size of Texas ...... We could have met up, toured the boats together, have lunch, tell big lies and compare watches. Maybe next time?
    It was a glorious day, yesterday, in this part of the world. Hope you've enjoyed your visit. By the way, did you ever visit the USS Texas (BB-35) in La Porte, TX. It's not a diver (although, slowly becoming one ..... big $$ needed to keep the thing afloat), but definitely worth a visit. If I remember well, this is the only (US?) battleship that has fought in both WWI and WWII.

Name:  110521_USS_Texas_29.jpg.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  169.9 KB

Name:  110521_USS_Texas.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  951.6 KB
    Paul Ramon likes this.

As always, Doc, nice pics! Thanks for sharing.
    Omar Montaño

"The best way to observe a fish is to become a fish" - Jacques-Yves Cousteau

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

How's the Texas doing? I heard it was listing a bit to starboard.
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus
    How's the Texas doing? I heard it was listing a bit to starboard.
    Repairs are ongoing, it seems; not sure if the ship was open to the public on Sunday, but it's actually closed today.

Read, hear and see bit more here: Battleship Texas to reopen Sunday after leak repairs | khou.com

It's a shame and I hope that the foundation keeping the ship afloat will receive sufficient $$ to preserve this piece of history.

While on topic and quite coincidental, I read in the Dutch news about battleships gone missing ..... this is the link to the story and I hope that the Google Language Tools offer enough assistance to get the story / details. I probably shouldn't post the pics from the story as these are copyrighted. Check the 1937 picture of Hr. Ms. Java* for the great resemblance to USS Texas.

The short of this story:

Hr. Ms. Kortenaer, Hr. Ms. De Ruyter and Hr. Ms. Java went under on February 27, 1942 in the Java Sea battle. These ships were part of an allied fleet with Dutch, British and American vessels and were trying to prevent the Japanese forces from taking the Indonesian island Java. Some 2,200 lives were lost in this battle.

Amateur divers rediscovered these shipwrecks in 2002, locations marked and all. A recent expedition in preparation of the 75th memorial revealed that the wrecks are gone; sonar images still show the imprints in the seafloor. It is not known yet who has (illegally) "lifted" the ships and American, Australian, British and Indonesian authorities have been notified of the disappearance

* Her Majesty Java - after all, it's the Royal Dutch Navy
    Last edited by MHe225; November 15th, 2016 at 19:29.

Thread Information