<<<<<<Diving With Legends Book -- 2nd Edition>>>>>>

Thread: <<<<<<Diving With Legends Book -- 2nd Edition>>>>>>

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

<<<<<<Diving With Legends Book -- 2nd Edition>>>>>>

Guys, for those of you that already have a copy of the DWL book........I need a favor. I want to help Pete get the 2nd edition as perfect as possible. I noticed just a grammatical error or two when reading the first couple stories. If you would please report any errors to me via PM, I will compile a list and then forward the list on to Doc Pete. (the one that I recall was "no" when it was supposed to be "know") This will help the 2nd edition to be as perfect as possible.

Thanks for your help:thanks:thanks
    Last edited by Jason71; March 29th, 2010 at 21:19.
    Best Regards,
    Jason

Re: <<<<<<Diving With Legends Book -- 2nd Edition>>>>>>

What second edition?

I don't know that I will be very happy after spending the money for a limited edition dwl watch and book to have 2nd editions out there.

Quote Originally Posted by jmoors View Post
    What second edition?

I don't know that I will be very happy after spending the money for a limited edition dwl watch and book to have 2nd editions out there.
    2nd Edition is probably the wrong nomenclature. Pete had originally planned on a run of 200-300 books. After this last fiasco with the printers, he has been able to get a fraction of that number. Many of the legends were unable to get the number of books that they desired, and there have been quite a number of people here on the forum that wanted books, but were unable to obtain them.

I don't think you have to worry about your DWL 1200T Pro being limited. In fact, I wouldn't imagine that there would ever be a large number of DWL books ever in print. Nothing would make me happier than to see the DWL book get picked-up by a big hitter from the publishing world, and see 1.5 Million copies go into circulation. It might take a little of the financial strain off our good friend Pete, and it would give the Legends of diving the recognition that they deserve. (As well as Pete getting the recognition that he deserves)

Not to worry John, the 1st edition is always the most sought after.
    Best Regards,
    Jason

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jclevoy View Post
    2nd edition is probably the wrong nomenclature. Pete had originally planned on a run of 200-300 books. After this last fiasco with the printers, he has been able to get a fraction of that number. Many of the legends were unable to get the number of books that they desired, and there have been quite a number of people here on the forum that wanted books, but were unable to obtain them.

I don't think you have to worry about your dwl 1200t pro being limited. In fact, i wouldn't imagine that there would ever be a large number of dwl books ever in print. Nothing would make me happier than to see the dwl book get picked-up by a big hitter from the publishing world, and see 1.5 million copies go into circulation. It might take a little of the financial strain off our good friend pete, and it would give the legends of diving the recognition that they deserve. (as well as pete getting the recognition that he deserves)

not to worry john, the 1st edition is always the most sought after.

+1
    I don't have grandkids yet....so let me tell you about my watch!

Quote Originally Posted by jmoors View Post
    What second edition?

JM, I find this to be a very selfish attitude to take. Not all of us can afford the Watch, or even want the watch since Doxa made them the smaller size. So I guess the rest of us should be left out of the chance to get the book?
    Todd

Fortune favors the bold. Virgil (70 BC - 19 BC)

In wine there is wisdom, in Scotch there is strength, In beer there is freedom, and in water there is bacteria.

Lightbulb Re: <<<<<<Diving With Legends Book -- 2nd Edition>>>>>>

Guys, little bit of clarification here. The first run of books is done. All gone. Printer really let me down so much so that I didn't even get one of the special books with the original signatures page....faaaaaaccccckkkkkkk!!!!!!!!!

They were also bloody expensive. It meant that I had to sell the book for 59 dollars to even make a couple of dollars profit. Because the book was so expensive and I had to give so many away it meant the whole operation cost me a bunch of money. I'd have been financially better off not doing the book and just buying a SUB 1200T. However, I didn't do it for the money and even before Doxa got involved I had allocated 2,000 dollars to produce the book for the Legends only.

With the cost of the book and the paypal and the priority mail it meant people were paying $75 for the DWL book. Not many people want to pay that. I don't want people to have to pay that. I feel bad charging for priority mail as it still took 5 weeks after the presentation to get books to people because of the fecking printers.

So what I have (almost) done is work out a deal with another printer for another run of the book at a lower price. It will be a slightly different book. Slightly thinner paper. Slightly darker cover with lighter text and no facsimile of the Legends signature sheet. Not only does this make the first run very special but also absolutely limited.

I am very conscious that the first run cost more than the second and I want to make the first run special. Hell, I had actually toyed with removing all the Doxa content and making the second run purely a Legends only book to differentiate it from the "Doxa" first run. That would make it cheaper from the point of less pages but I think the Birth of a Legend and Legends with a Legend chapters are pretty cool.

I have redone the cover to take off the "Presented by DOXA SA" but Rick asked me to keep it on. That also would differentiate the book should I do that.

Guys bottom line is I want as many books out there as possible. I'll never sell enough to recover the money spent but as I said that is not the point. Its a book full of fantastic stories and adventures and wonderful people. It deserves to be read and obviously the lower the price the bigger the chance that people will buy it.

Remember, I have to fork out thousand of dollars up front to pay for the books (the first run printer bill was almost 9 grand). I could end up with a shedload of books sitting in my front room and never selling. Risky business.

Hope that clears things up a bit.

Pete
    Last edited by Flyingdoctor; March 30th, 2010 at 15:54.

Now that we have that out of the way...........

Let's not forget the reason for this thread. Any errors found, PLEASE report them to me via PM or email.:thanks
    Best Regards,
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by TMahaun View Post
    JM, I find this to be a very selfish attitude to take. Not all of us can afford the Watch, or even want the watch since Doxa made them the smaller size. So I guess the rest of us should be left out of the chance to get the book?
    Sorry you find it that way ... was not meet to be, I have sent you a PM to take this off the forum.

John

I have only read a few of the stories thus far, but the account of the Trieste decent to the bottom of the ocean was fascinating. For anyone who might enjoy real life adventure stories, from the men who actually where there, then I think you would enjoy this book.

Thanks for the hard work and passion Doc, I for one would tell you thanks, it really paid off.
    Steven
    Florida, USA

Sinn 103 St Sa LE
    Sinn 757 UTC
    Sinn U1
    Sinn 6100 Regulatuer
    IWC Aquatimer
    NOMOS Tangomat Datum
    Stowa Marine Original, 80th anniversary LE
    Stowa Seatime
    Doxa SUB750T Military Sharkhunter PVD
    Zinex Trimix GMT PVD LE Black Pirate
    Ocean 7 LM-2 GMT SE PVD
    Bathys Aquaculture MOP PVD
    Tissot TXL
    Seiko Kinetic Sportura SNL029P1 PVD
    Seiko Chronograph Sports 150
    Citizens Eco-Drive Calibre 8700 BL8000-03A
    Citizens Eco-Drive Largo Perpetual Calendar
    TX 730 w/ FlyBack Chrono
    Poljot Sturmanske Chrono
    Aristo Apucto HP6
    Casio ToughSolar ProTrek Titanium
    Various G's

Thanks Steven. I appreciate it.

Well I should find out about the second run in a day or so and I'm hoping the books should be available in 3 weeks. The original printers still haven't finished printing the rest of the books yet. I'm desperately trying to get books to Doxa for all the overseas DWL buyers. Nightmare.

I've changed the manuscript to remove the legends signature sheet and modified the cover slightly. I corrected a mispelling and changed the error on Karl's name. The 2nd run will be easy to differentiate from the first run. It should also be cheaper.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by scm64 View Post
    I have only read a few of the stories thus far, but the account of the Trieste decent to the bottom of the ocean was fascinating. For anyone who might enjoy real life adventure stories, from the men who actually where there, then I think you would enjoy this book.

Thanks for the hard work and passion Doc, I for one would tell you thanks, it really paid off.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information