WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Diving in Roatan???

3K views 31 replies 10 participants last post by  jmoors 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi all ... Kathy and I have been talking about another dive trip. We are looking at going the end of April. I like to do things on my birthday and getting my Doxa's wet is one thing I enjoy.

We are going to be going to the ReefHouse Resort on Roatan again. The diving there is great, 2 dives in the am, 1 dive in the afternoon, and all the shore diving you want. 3 meals a day, etc ...

I have been working with Neil from the resort and he is willing to give us a great price for the week: 20% off
Here is the info from Neil:
"Here's an example of the double occupancy diver price: $895. + $143. tax = $1038. minus $180 (20% of $895.) = $858.
The $10. marine park fee brings the total to $868.

Therefore $868. is the full total per diver... meals and airport transfers included... That should hopefully make it easy to get your friends down, John."

Still in the planning stage but I would like to know how many of you are interested.

This is not a Searaiders trip and is not being sponsored by anyone, just people that want to get their watches wet. They only have 11 rooms so that is a max of 22 people, and right now it is fully available.

One thing I need to let you know ... currently NITROX is NOT available ... sorry!

If you want to see some pictures of the place you can look at my pbase account http://www.pbase.com/jmoors/travels and look under travel I think it is.

Happy diving ... John

See less See more
#2 ·
Hmmm..... this does sound very interesting, and very affordable. I may just be in m'self. I'll start researching flights and such in a week or so. Roatan has been on my "want to dive there" list since the 1980's!

#3 ·
You will love it T-Bone. Last time we flew continental via Houston, TX worked out great and not bad on price. Looking at dates of Apr 25- May 1.

Also here is the URL for the resort http://www.reefhouseresort.com/index.html

John

P.S. you do want to go let me know and I'll get back with Neil, but I think all you need to do is let him know you are with my group for the discount.:-!:-!

#5 ·
Hey john, I looked at your pics and a few years back I was there on a cruise. One of the shore excursions was to a resort for some diving and other water activities. Your pics look like that place and the emplotee in your pics looks like a guy named quinton who was our guide. He climmbed coconut trees bare handed and other assorted entertaining tricks. If that is the same place and people what a blast your going to have. Good luck planning the trip sounds really cool.

#7 ·
Looks interesting even thou I really want to dive some wrecks too. Do they have any down there? How long can they keep these good prices for? I got to see how the business goes for a while. But by then my gilds will get kinda dry!;-)
Michael

#8 ·
Roatan is by far the most interesting dive I have ever done. I Was in Roatan in July on a cruise and only had time for 1 dive. (We dove at Turquois Bay on the East end North shore) Wow is all I can say. Every square inch of reef was covered in life.

Actually it was very much like Cuba. (gitanamo bay was good for something) I need to talk my wife into this one. I think this is a great idea....if I can just get her away from the evil cruise ship mentality!!

#9 ·
Just to answer a couple things ...

Michael ... sorry now ship wrecks that I know of. But the reef is fantastic and a very nce wall.

Jason ... Would love the both of you to come. I remember last year you talked to me about how much you wanted to go .... well best deal in town!

Skillet ... interesting story but different set of folks. I have found them all to be interesting and very friendly. The cook at this resort would get up into the trees as well just to get a coconut to make a pie for dinner ... great food at the ReefHouse Resort!

John ... Great it would be wonderful for you and the little woman to join us. But I need to let you know .... last time I was there we had a wonderful couple with us but she was of the same type of mindset and she wasn't real happy. Let me explain a little ... she likes to dress up go dancing, maybe a nice resturant .... whoops not going to happen here. It takes 40 minutes to get back to the west end of the island where you might find a place to dance and a few resturants, but you also need a short boat ride to get back on the island from the key you are on and then get a cab ... not very cheap. The rooms here at the resort are nice and clean, but a little small, not a 5 star hotel, but .... if you come to dive, have a great time, meet some fantastic folks, eat some very good food, and dive, or dive, did say that already? Then this is the place for you.

Another thing I want to bring up, atleast it was this way in Jan, is that they have an open bar ... you write down on a 3X5 card what you took,an honor system, they have some safe deposit boxes that you use to lock up your money etc ... because you don't need any of that while at the resort. The night before you leave, the resort you square up the billing and pay them.

Anyway guys it really is a wonderful place and the people are top notch.

If you have any question I am happy to answer them and we can get this ball a rollin'

John

#10 ·
Just to answer a couple things ...

Michael ... sorry now ship wrecks that I know of. But the reef is fantastic and a very nce wall.

Jason ... Would love the both of you to come. I remember last year you talked to me about how much you wanted to go .... well best deal in town!

Skillet ... interesting story but different set of folks. I have found them all to be interesting and very friendly. The cook at this resort would get up into the trees as well just to get a coconut to make a pie for dinner ... great food at the ReefHouse Resort!

John ... Great it would be wonderful for you and the little woman to join us. But I need to let you know .... last time I was there we had a wonderful couple with us but she was of the same type of mindset and she wasn't real happy. Let me explain a little ... she likes to dress up go dancing, maybe a nice resturant .... whoops not going to happen here. It takes 40 minutes to get back to the west end of the island where you might find a place to dance and a few resturants, but you also need a short boat ride to get back on the island from the key you are on and then get a cab ... not very cheap. The rooms here at the resort are nice and clean, but a little small, not a 5 star hotel, but .... if you come to dive, have a great time, meet some fantastic folks, eat some very good food, and dive, or dive, did say that already? Then this is the place for you.

Another thing I want to bring up, atleast it was this way in Jan, is that they have an open bar ... you write down on a 3X5 card what you took,an honor system, they have some safe deposit boxes that you use to lock up your money etc ... because you don't need any of that while at the resort. The night before you leave, the resort you square up the billing and pay them.

Anyway guys it really is a wonderful place and the people are top notch.

If you have any question I am happy to answer them and we can get this ball a rollin'

John
Sounds like the making of a great trip. April is a good ways out for me, so I'll need to get through the rest of '08, before I could commit to anything.

The price is definitely right and the location is prime. I'd even sacrifice and dive good ol' air.;-)

#12 ·
^^ You know it must be tempting if Ty is considering going...............and having to use air:-d;-)

John, let us know what he says, Cheryle and I are seriously considering it. That has been one of our top 3 "places to try", so we are eager to get down there.

#15 ·
Wow, you guys really know how to kill a fellows financial self esteem,
I thought owning the watches was the financial hit!

Searaiders would have been perfect for covering off the 40th. It was that Monday-Roatan, :plooking at it, googling various things, find a house that my wife now has listed #1 in the " if we ever win the lottery fantasy". Alas, it is my daughter's birthday at the end of April, so no go for me.

But keep those pictures and reviews coming for the landlocked and Doxa destitute:-!

#16 ·
Hi Guys,

I figured you all might enjoy this video. It is of the ReefHouse Resort. And it gives you a pretty good idea of what it really is like there. Just figured I would keep the interest up.!!! hahahahaha

Kathy and I am looking forward to the trip and diving with our new family!!!

So let me know what you think of the video. It runs a little over 13 minutes.

John

#20 ·
Checked this out when you sent it to me via email, and all I can say is WOW!! What a kicked back, chilled out place to relax and dive. Then take into consideration the food...did you guys see the spread of lobster and crab?(my weakness;-))

I remember you telling about one guy climbing a palm tree, and grabbing a couple of coconuts for the evening desert of coconut pie. Factor all of that in, and a bottle of rum........I'm likely to never want to leave. Nitrox......what Nitrox?:-d:-d

#22 ·
I haven't dove on Roatan, but worked there a lot - I'm an archaeologist. I always stayed at Anthony's Key Resort - the owners are really good folks and do a lot for the island, the reef, environment in general. The patriarch of the bunch, Julio Galindo, funded out of his pocket the patrol boats for the marine reserve, and put in a lot of the buoys to anchor to. He claimed it was just good business, because he thought nobody would believe that he was doing something out of an interest beyond an economic interest.

Roatan (and Utila, one of the other islands) are nothing if not laid back.

Glad you had a good time. My next trip there will be to get certified to dive.

#23 ·
Well Chris ... you should join us. One of the co owners there at ReefHouse is a PADI Instructor ... I am sure that they can provide any training that you would like. And of course we would Love to have ya with us!!!:-!:-!

John

#25 ·
Nothing new to add at this point but did want to bump it back up for those that might consider or what to get together to dive at Roatan ... everything is still looking good and the people that have shown an interest might start thinking of getting with Neil about it. 4 months will pass pretty quick!

John

#26 ·
Well looks like no one will be joining us on this trip, unless Michael makes it.

I hope next year will work out better for everyone. Kathy and I are still going and of course this is still open to anyone that wants to go.

John

#27 ·
Well, I for one am bummed! It is a really good deal, looks to be fantastic diving, and I already know the people to be good company ;-). Sorry I couldn't make it, but will look to 2010 with high hopes of making that one!

#29 ·
I'm bummed too T, but there was just no way that I could swing it this year either. I'm seriously going to try and make it in 2010, since I'll have a whole year to plan.

John....take tons of pictures and shoot a video or two. I know we'll all be anxiously awaiting your and Kathy's return. Have fun!:-!

#28 ·
I wish we could go as well but the 2 young kids won and we are going on a 4 day Carnival cruise and a week at Disneyworld. (Roatan probably would have been cheaper). Have fun and take lots of Pics.

#30 ·
Just want to give an update. Kathy and I have changed our dates for Roatan this year. We are booking for 13 June - 27June. That way we can get our 2 weeks in.

Last I heard only Michael was still interested in the April trip. Hopefully he can change and make the June dates as well. Also again everyone from here is invited as well but the resort is all ready half full so don't wait long if you want to go.

John

#31 ·
The June dates look better from my end as well. However I can not do two weeks. As well I'm waiting to see what Todd is doing with the Diving with Legends trip. We still have time. Just got back from Florida Keys two days ago. Pictures soon but I can guarantee that not as nice as Scottie's!
Michael

#32 ·
Yes Scottie's pictures are nice ... he'll have to give us some more pointers. Michael you don't need to be there the two weeks. Place is all ready half full on second week so if you can only go for one maybe make it the first week. Just give Neil a call when you are ready.

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.