Don't you just love it when...
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Don't you just love it when...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Don't you just love it when...

I was out with my mum and some family friends for lunch last Saturday when she spent most of the time saying how my much loved SUB 300 Professional 50th anniversary model looked cheap and nasty compared to some of my other watches and I was the only person who could like it.
    On Sunday I took her out to do her shopping and whilst I was packing the bags the (very) attractive girl on checkout looks over and says 'what a great looking watch - love the dial colour...'
    It's only the second time that someone has commented on any of my watches but the timing couldn't have been better.
    We had a quiet drive home :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re: Don't you just love it when...

Quote Originally Posted by adg31 View Post
    I was out with my mum and some family friends for lunch last Saturday when she spent most of the time saying how my much loved SUB 300 Professional 50th anniversary model looked cheap and nasty compared to some of my other watches and I was the only person who could like it.
    On Sunday I took her out to do her shopping and whilst I was packing the bags the (very) attractive girl on checkout looks over and says 'what a great looking watch - love the dial colour...'
    It's only the second time that someone has commented on any of my watches but the timing couldn't have been better.
    We had a quiet drive home :)

Your mum sounds like a negative, unhappy person. Quiet ride home? Was she pouting because she was wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline370GT View Post
    Your mum sounds like a negative, unhappy person. Quiet ride home? Was she pouting because she was wrong?

Fortunately she's generally a very happy positive person - which got her through very tough treatment for cancer of the oesophagus.
    However, when did you last hear of any mum admitting being wrong?

DaveandStu likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moms don't always know best ;)

It is a lovely watch :D. I am a big fan of bright dials, and I think that most women are as well. I've been pushing my friends to experiment and go outside of the classic but "too stealthy" black watch. I own not one single black dial watch and I don't plan on buying one unless the right one comes along.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." -- Will Durant
    adg31 likes this.

Great post and very good to hear your mum is a survivor! Something Ive learned being married for 30+ yrs is a quite car ride with a female can sometimes be a gift, lol.
    I have been an avid watch collector for almost 50 yrs and I have owned some real treasures. In that time I could count the comments Ive received about my watches on one hand. My bright colored Doxas account for a majority of the positive compliments. Keep them coming Doxa!
    adg31 and DaveandStu like this.
    Current collection: Early 70’s Doxa 300T Aqua Lung Sharkhunter, '92 Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch 3590.50, '95 Bell & Ross by Sinn 103, '00 Panerai 064C, '01 Panerai 087D, '03 Panerai 087F, '08 Seiko SBDA003, '08 Seiko SBDA005, '10 Doxa 1200T Diving with Legends 70/99, '10 Doxa 1200T NUMA Turquoise 4/50, '11 Doxa 1200T NUMA Blue 58/100, '14 Doxa 800TI Mission 31, '14 Doxa 1500T Aware II, '15 Fortiss Stratoliner Panda, '16 Helson H2O Kalamar, '17 Doxa 1200T DW 11/25, '17 Doxa 300 Black Lung Reissue Preproduction Prototype (no serial#), '17 Tudor Black Bay LHD, '18 Doxa 300T Poseidon Reissue, '18 Doxa 300 Silver Lung Reissue, '18 Doxa 1200T Sharkhunter '18 Seiko SRPC23, '18 Seiko SRPC49, '18 Seiko SRPC91, '18 Seiko SRPC93

I was in Amsterdam and got so many compliments on this watch. Obviously they like orange given the national team’s color scheme.

adg31 and Joe90 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Don't @ Me View Post
    It is a lovely watch 😄. I am a big fan of bright dials, and I think that most women are as well. I've been pushing my friends to experiment and go outside of the classic but "too stealthy" black watch. I own not one single black dial watch and I don't plan on buying one unless the right one comes along.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." -- Will Durant
    Funny thing is I find myself migrating towards very simple black or dark color dials. Probably the flashiest thing I have now is a Vostok with a gold-ish dial.

I get comments on my Poseidon all the time. People definitely notice Doxas!! Never had anyone know what it was though...
    adg31 likes this.

Dozens of watches over many years; my experience is it seems that only people like those of us here notice and comment on watches, and very few people have ever commented on watches I have on my wrist. Must not be too many of us out there.

My orange 1200 has received 2 comments, both the same: "Is that a Seiko?". Not negatively, like "is that a cheap Seiko". More like mild curiosity. Interestingly, both were young women. Maybe the bright dial theory someone commented on above? My answer: "Hmmm... I'm not sure".

I had a Damasko DA47 (white dial that is all lume). A couple of times pilots commented in it. Both recognized it as a Damasko. One of the pilots had a Sinn, and was considering a DA47. The other said "nice watch" as I deplaned, and flashed his Damasko. Might be my imagination, but I believe a few times flight attendants noticed it, and treated me a notch above normal. Perhaps because they have seen these on pilot's wrists?

My Precista PRS82 was once mistaken for a vintage Rolex by watch enthusiast.

One person recognized my MM300 for what it was, and was excited to see one live. Another time, at a business dinner, someone made a comment about it, the "cheap Seiko" overtone. Our CEO, a "Swiss only" guy, who has a few watches that cost as much as luxury car, asked to see it. He surprised everyone by not only recognizing it as a MM300, but also giving an overview of what a MM300 is, and why it is perhaps the iconic Asian diver for a dive watch collection.

That's about it.
    DaveandStu and adg31 like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast