Doxa 1000T Rubber strap

Thread: Doxa 1000T Rubber strap

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Doxa 1000T Rubber strap

Has anyone else here had real trouble trying to fit a rubber starp to there 1000T?

If so any tips on getting it on (so to speak)?

Reply from DOXA

Hi Elwood, the SUB1000T strap is reinforced in 2 ways at the lug area but is softer on the rest of it, it fits very snuggly without any gaps, and need to be very carefully attached to the lugs of the watch. If you have tried one way and couldnt fit it, then try fitting the other end of the springbar first, you will need to firmly push strap together while aligning the springbar. If you still cant, please visit a watchmaker in your area. A watchmaker will have it done in a few minutes.

DOXA
    Last edited by DOXA S.A.; July 27th, 2009 at 06:56.

Re: Doxa 1000T Rubber strap

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood View Post
    Has anyone else here had real trouble trying to fit a rubber starp to there 1000T?

If so any tips on getting it on (so to speak)?
    The first time I put mine on it was super stiff, but I think I was just hadn't figured it out. I had to push in really hard to get the spring bar to catch. You can't just wiggle it around like on a leather strap, takes a good bit of force...when you get the spring bar situated grab the lug end of the strap and push really hard towards the case. That should do it. Once you get some wear time on the strap it will be a lot easier.

I still haven't been able to get my strap on... it is definitely the hardest strap I have ever tried to fit. Luckily, I like the bracelet better anyway.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks Bob (elwood) for asking on my behalf and thanks jhobbs for giving a useful pointer.

Its definitely a tricky strap to get on but holding it steady and pushing the strap in towards the watch with as much controlled pressure as possible is definitely the way to go - I never heard that telltale click of the spring bar in the hole but it seemed to find its way in there. Loosening up the strap with a bit of bending and stretching also seemed to help before my second (successful) attempt.

Once on the watch does look pretty good on the strap.

Maybe if one heat the strap (like submersing it in hot water) it should soften a little...

How timely – I was going to post my review of the 1000T rubber strap after putting it on (forcing it on) my watch this weekend. Here is my Pros/Cons/Warnings.

CONS:
    Putting on this strap by yourself without the proper tools (Bergeon spring bar tool WITH thin fork may make this much easier) is extremely difficult and frustrating. It took me over an hour of repeated trying to finally get it on. I openly admit, two times I got so angry that I had to get up from the table cursing and punch a solid wood wall surface.

As noted, it takes an excessive amount of force to get the rubber end of the second spring bar end to compress enough up into the base of the watch to allow the spring bar to pop into the lug hole. Also as noted, you don’t receive the standard “pop” sound when the spring bar goes in. At one point, I thought I had the spring bar in – but as I jiggled the fit, the bar sprung off and the process started all over again.

I had to hold the base of the watch with one hand and the other on the band with one spring bar in, and had my wife try to compress the other spring bar end down while I pushed and pushed and pushed again to try and compress that last corner of the band to allow entry into the lug. My hands cramped up from the repeated efforts to push that SOB up far enough.

The holes on the strap are too far apart. Compared to a Seiko rubber dive strap, the DOXA does not provide enough microadjustment flexibility. For me, the second hole is too tight, the third too big which leaves a small gap between where the strap comes off the top of the watch and my wrist. This is not a problem in the office, but I would not want this out in the bush as I can see it getting too easily caught or snared on something.

Taking off the strap is a pain - the stiffness makes it a struggle to get out of the buckle closure. (I know, I sound like a wimp, but this strap has some issues!)

PROS:
    After finally getting the strap on, I must say the DOXA design team did an excellent job making a strap that fits so perfectly to the watch base. The fit/finish is incredible

The strap is very thick and stiff (CON – watch out putting it on the first time as it can kick back on you running risk of falling to floor and being damaged), but seems to be loosening up a bit over time.

The buckle is also very thick and solid and nicely finished.

WARNINGS:
    I became obsessively determined to get that strap on. As such, I exposed the watch to scratches as I attempted to compress (and later have my wife compress) the second spring bar end down into the band to try and get it on. You will be compressing really hard while trying to find the lug hole and it is very easy to let it dip too low and spring out on the top side of the watch risking scratching. (PRO – the DOXA finish is pretty tough and luckily, I did not incur any scratches, but the potential is high if you are using a small screw driver to compress the spring bar end which often requires resting the edge of the screw driver on the bottom side of the lug.

Because you never hear the spring bar snap into the lug hole – I’d really test out the structurally integrity of the attachment when you get it in to avoid it popping off and the watch dropping to potential damage or being lost altogether.

MOST IMPORTANT WARNING – although I attempted putting the strap on over a beach towel folded over a couple times, because I needed to wrench down so hard on the face of the watch into the towel whilst pushing like hell to get the strap compressed into the base of the watch, I believe I may have slightly damaged the bezel fitting. Before I tried to put the strap on – the bezel was tight and secure to the watch body…after trying to get the strap on, now the bezel has a very slight, cushion of play to it which I’ve only experienced on other divers I’ve had that were true tool watches that I’d beaten up pretty bad over years of use. IS MY BEZEL damaged? I don’t know, but it wasn’t like that before, so I believe I’ve weakened it’s core in some way. Don’t let this happen to you.

FINAL IMPRESSION:
    The strap is nice, fit and finish to the watch superb, and overall a nice strap option to have. That said, overall, I find it to be a little too well designed and I think it detracts from the watch’s “dude” factor. Personally, I think the 1000T looks boss on the Maratac 4 ring NATO style with Maratac’s zulu style rings. It fits close to the wrist with plenty of sizing flexibility and you know when you are out in the bush, should one of those spring bars fail, you will not lose your precious DOXA!
    Last edited by T Bone; July 29th, 2009 at 07:03. Reason: Removed language "work around"

Old post, but I've never seen a watch band so difficult. I may just get a orange NATO and get it over with.
    The SUB 1200 uses the same band as the SUB 1000.
    Three hours so far
    I don't have grandkids yet....so let me tell you about my watch!

Banned

The key I have found is the use of a V notched end watch tool. I don't know the professional name for it, but it works wonders for pressing the spring bar down and then slide laterally to seat the tip of the spring bar. You want it this tight with the design of the lug-to-strap. Once you get the system down, it works like a charm.

Good luck!

I had hardly any trouble putting on the black rubber strap,which I didn't
    really like,but putting BACK on the bracelet was impossible.It's at a
    watch repair shop right now and will be ready tomorrow.The watch guy
    said he would do it at night and that these watches were particularly
    hard to do.Four bucks will be worth it.
    Rolex gmt master II
    LUM Tec Combat B-1*
    IWC Portofino
    Movado Luno
    Sinn U-1*
    Muhle Glashutte Terranaut II (green)*
    Glycine Combat*
    Stowa Airman*
    Doxa 1000T Sharkhunter*
    Doxa 1000T Professional project aware*
    Steinhart Nav B Chrono II PVD*
    Stowa Seatime Prodiver*
    Omega Planet Ocean XL
    Marathon GSAR*
    Ball Engineer Master Diver II*
    Luminox colormark*
    Muhle Glashutte Rasmus *
    Omega "From the Moon to Mars" Speedmaster Profesional
    Ball Fireman II *
    Helson Sharkmaster*
    IWC Aquatimer 2000 (yellow)
    Panerai base logo
    Omega Speedmaster (reduced)
    Oris Iquis date (blue)

* gone

I finally got my band on. Like demro3 posted you need the watch band tool with the v-notch. The trick for me was using my optivisor headband magnifier; I just couldn't see what the hey I was doing.

Another little trick is to shape the band by putting the band in a coffee cup and pouring boiling water over it. After the water cools, you have a perfectly shaped watch band.
    I don't have grandkids yet....so let me tell you about my watch!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information