Doxa 300 50th anniversary Silver Lung review and vs Submariner Date
Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By GmtMasterIII

Thread: Doxa 300 50th anniversary Silver Lung review and vs Submariner Date

Doxa 300 50th anniversary Silver Lung review and vs Submariner Date

Hey guys.

I finally did it. I jumped in and purchased a new to me Doxa 300 Silver Lung. Iíve had my eye on one of these for almost a year. But since only 300 were ever made, theyíre rather scarce and donít often show up for sale. If they do, theyíre sold in a matter of hours to days. Making it difficult to buy even if you find.

In my search to decide whether or not to buy one, it found it difficult to find certain information online and on the forums about this watch. Mainly how it fit on a wrist similar to me and how it compared to the most iconic diver ever made, the Rolex Submariner date ref. 16610. A lot of the photos in this forum are archived and canít be seen anymore. There are also very few YouTube videos on Doxa that makes it hard to gauge.

Now that I have the 300 in hand, I thought Iíd share my thoughts on the watch as it wears on my 6.75 - 7 inch wrist and a quick comparison to the Submariner as a guide for others who may want to know the same information in the future.

Some observations:

- Yes the Doxa does wear smaller than the dimensions suggest. This has been mentioned a lot on the forums and itís really hard to imagine / believe until you have it on wrist. But the lug to lug measurement being only around 45mm plus the fact that the beads of rice bracelet wraps the wrist right from the end links, make this watch wear smaller. The smaller dial and bezel, which are smaller than the case, help this perception.

- It fits great. The mind assumes that with a 42.5 mm case and a visually large overall look due to the shape of the case, this was much be large and tend to flop around. The reality is, it does anything but that. The case back is actually flatter that that on the Submariner. That flatter case back means the watch lugs sit square and tight to the wrist. The watch is heavier than the Submariner but because it sits flat, you donít notice the weight.

- The quality and construction are top notch. The bezel ratchet action is the most solid Iíve used on any watch. You get a firm solid click with virtually no play in the action. The beads of rice bracelet is solid. Itís got a nice weight to it and it uses screws for the pin. The screws and pins are thick and fit snug in the link.

- The dial is a sunburst silver dial. Itís looked white, light silver and dark silver depending on the light. Itís more often light silver / whiteish due to the sunburst. Iíve owned other silver dial watches and they can sometime look dingy/drab. Donít see that shade of silver much at all here with this.

- Legibility is the real knock here. The hour hand being small does sometimes make it hard to read. Especially hours between 6-9 where the US divers logo is. Lume on the hands and dial however is strong and bright. Sometimes only the lume in the hands charges and not the dial when itís not exposed to direct light. I think this is due to the domed sapphire edges perhaps obfuscating indirect light from hitting the markers.

- The bezel is much more difficult to read quickly than the larger numbers on the Submariner. I donít dive, but I do use the bezel on my divers all the time for timing. Usually when I cook. Quick glances at time elapsed are sometimes difficult. You find the minute hand right away, but it does take some effort to see where itís pointing. The shiny bezel also doesnít help in certain indoor lighting. I actually wish the inboard minute numbers were orange and the dive times were black. The orange numbers I find easier to read.

- Movement is accurate. Current running -0.7 seconds per day.

All in all, this is a fantastic watch. It definitely wears closer to a 40 mm than a 42.5 mm watch. In fact Iíve worn 40mm watches which wore worse.

So how does it compare to the Submariner? Well thatís a loaded question. Itís easier to read time on the Submariner which is key. That makes the sub a better daily wearer for me and the Doxa more a change of pace. Though the two watches are divers, the both look completely different and compliment each other. One is a monochrome black dial classic styled diver while the other is a colorful silver dialed uniquely shaped diver. For the price, the Doxa is a great value. But the Submariner will always be special and for a very different use.

If anyone is reading this, considering a Doxa and has questions, Iíd be happy to answer. Hoping this thread helps some people make a decision in either direction.

Thanks for reading. Photos below.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by GmtMasterIII; 5 Days Ago at 14:12.

Re: Doxa 300 50th anniversary Silver Lung review and vs Submariner Date

Wow. Beautiful!
    ..........never cheer before you know who is winning.........

I was fortunate to get the Sub 300 Silver Lung too early this year. I absolutely love it on par with my Hulk and FF.
    What you gotta do, you gotta do!!!

Collection :
    Omega, Rolex, Blancpain, Zenith, Tudor, IWC

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Great review!

Looking at the wrist shots you posted, the Doxa definitely wears smaller than the dimensions would suggest. That small dial just makes the whole watch look smaller.

What a fantastic piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Toonces View Post
    Great review!

Looking at the wrist shots you posted, the Doxa definitely wears smaller than the dimensions would suggest. That small dial just makes the whole watch look smaller.

What a fantastic piece.

Yes, the dial has a lot to do with it. In reality itís the bottom on the case that is wide. If you look compared to the Submariner, thatís 40mm bezel to bezel. While the Doxa is more like 38mm bezel to bezel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information