DOXA - 50TH ANNIVERSAY SUB 300 BRACELET RE-ISSUE?
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: DOXA - 50TH ANNIVERSAY SUB 300 BRACELET RE-ISSUE?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

DOXA - 50TH ANNIVERSAY SUB 300 BRACELET RE-ISSUE?

Still admiring my SUB300 re-issue, BL#44. What it only needs to take it to the #1 diver as a pure utilitarian tool watch and in my opinion eclipse the mighty Submariner, is to step up and provide a new re-designed and improved bracelet in the spirit of the original. The issued bracelet is worthy but just doesn't make the mark for this particular watch. The new bracelet from an aesthetic, comfort and functional standpoint must equal or exceed what has previously been created, or shouldn't be messed with. Again in my opinion the original SUB300 bracelet is by far a superior piece and completes the watch. On eBay, an original DOXA SUB300 BOR bracelet just went for $1600.00 which is more than a lot of the modern used DOXA watches in excellent condition are selling for. That confirms how I feel and speaks volumes. Am I alone? The new bracelet is too wide, too heavy, doesn't have the classic taper, ratcheting clasp for quick and easy adjustments during the day, and expanding links on each side to fit over the wet-suit. I would bet hands down that all 300 of us lucky individuals who were able to get the famed "Black Lung" would purchase such a new bracelet if DOXA would create it in a heartbeat. Based on the success, DOXA could incorporate this for other models as well. This I feel would pay the proper respect to the original, do it justice and propel DOXA to the top of the diving world and everybody would know it. Let's get DOXA rolling on this. Your thoughts?
    ffnc1020, Hands90 and natrmrz like this.

Re: DOXA - 50TH ANNIVERSAY SUB 300 BRACELET RE-ISSUE?

I'll weigh in. I prefer a tapered bracelet on all my watches. I'm hoping Doxa at least offers a tapered bracelet in the future. I know when the 600T(?) came out and the new BOR was displayed a lot of guys liked a non-tapering design. I'm definitely not one of them. I attribute my preference for a tapering design to being used to have watches with tapering bracelets. Throw in some kind of ratcheting clasp (or spring enabled clasp ;) ) and I'll throw money until I get one delivered by FedEx. :D
    ffnc1020 likes this.

You’re 100% spot on. I feel EXACTLY the same way. Please, Doxa??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Just to give my final thought on the matter, I think that the reason one would purchase this as an accessory is because if you are into mechanical things this is cool, WAY COOL! and a must have. With the ultimate success this could spill over into other DOXA models as well. As a DOXA enthusiast which we all are, this would be a quick purchase and a small fortune for DOXA in regards to perfecting an iconic, attractive, functional piece of stainless steel. It would also re-kindle the fire, energy and ingenuity of the folks involved during the hey day of the late 60's. Talk to me DOXA!!!

I'd agree. I have the 50th anniversary and have found the supplied bracelet to be of poor quality overall and would love a better bracelet with a real taper and the old ratcheting clasp. I've been scouring for one on eBay myself but if I could pick one up for ~$500 from Doxa I definitely would.

On that same note, it would be so amazing to be able to get a true plexi crystal added/swapped.
    Last edited by MZhammer; June 13th, 2018 at 22:39.
    Current Rotation:
    6 Keepers, 2 Rotators
    and a few guilty pleasures...

Dress Watches Casual Watches Sport Watches Rotators
    High A. Lange & Söhne 1815 Up/Down Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Chrono Rolex GMT Master II 16710 Breguet Classique Chronograph 3237
    Low Cartier Tank Basculante Heuer Carrera 1964 Re-Edition CS3111 Longines Legend Diver no-date Ralph Lauren Slim 867 White Gold

Instagram @mzhammer_wis

Disagree.

I've owned the original, and the reissue is way better, in all respects, not the least being the durabiiity aspect.
    A tapered bracelet is OK, but the original tapered way too much for the case, leaving the clasp (simple folded steel) to be inadequate for the job
    --
    "What you think, you become"

-Buddha

my current collection: '68 Tudor Sub-military, '83 Rolex Seadweller 16660 (matte dial), '62 Rolex Zephyr, Doxa Sub 300T Professional Reissue, Doxa Divingstar 750 GMT, Omega Flightmaster c911, Omega Seamaster 300/date, Omega PloProf 1200, Omega PO Chrono c9300, Seiko MarineMaster 300M, ZRC Etanche Grand Fondes reissue, B&R BR-02, Seiko Scubamaster M726, Helson Sharkmaster Destro, MeisterSinger Scrypto

Quote Originally Posted by siddhartha View Post
    Disagree.

I've owned the original, and the reissue is way better, in all respects, not the least being the durabiiity aspect.
    A tapered bracelet is OK, but the original tapered way too much for the case, leaving the clasp (simple folded steel) to be inadequate for the job
    Rolex has had a 20/16 taper for decades without them being inadequate for the job. Taper is personal taste, not a functionality thing. I think selling it as an option at point of sale, and as an add on for existing models, would be a great move.
    Vlciudoli likes this.
    Current Rotation:
    6 Keepers, 2 Rotators
    and a few guilty pleasures...

Dress Watches Casual Watches Sport Watches Rotators
    High A. Lange & Söhne 1815 Up/Down Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Chrono Rolex GMT Master II 16710 Breguet Classique Chronograph 3237
    Low Cartier Tank Basculante Heuer Carrera 1964 Re-Edition CS3111 Longines Legend Diver no-date Ralph Lauren Slim 867 White Gold

Instagram @mzhammer_wis

Once you have experienced the ratchet clasp of the 800ti or the 1500, the other clasps are obsolete and inferior. The original issue for the SUB300 50th anniversary bracelet is well constructed but not practical as an everyday beater because of its weight and lack of quick, simple (micro) adjustment without taking the watch off. Having the expanding links on both sides completes the package with another simple (macro) adjustment to get over a wet-suit, nice leather flight jacket or slicker out on the range. Maybe a 22 to 18 taper BOR with the beads a little bit thinner and not as thick to get the weight down and still provide good balance as to not make the case be top heavy. I just think the bracelet issued does not pay the proper tribute to such a cool watch and is a let down. With the good folks at DOXA and the technology that is now available, a new, stronger and more durable re-issue BOR bracelet, modeled after the original, which separately is as iconic as the watch itself, can be achieved that is visually stunning and functional.
    MZhammer and perfectlykevin like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Landset View Post
    Once you have experienced the ratchet clasp of the 800ti or the 1500, the other clasps are obsolete and inferior. The original issue for the SUB300 50th anniversary bracelet is well constructed but not practical as an everyday beater because of its weight and lack of quick, simple (micro) adjustment without taking the watch off. Having the expanding links on both sides completes the package with another simple (macro) adjustment to get over a wet-suit, nice leather flight jacket or slicker out on the range. Maybe a 22 to 18 taper BOR with the beads a little bit thinner and not as thick to get the weight down and still provide good balance as to not make the case be top heavy. I just think the bracelet issued does not pay the proper tribute to such a cool watch and is a let down. With the good folks at DOXA and the technology that is now available, a new, stronger and more durable re-issue BOR bracelet, modeled after the original, which separately is as iconic as the watch itself, can be achieved that is visually stunning and functional.
    I think a slight taper, even to 18mm is fine. Watches are larger nowadays so why not clasps too? I think the key is keeping it proportional. I also thinmk a 16mm is fine, esp on the classically sized 42,7mm Subs. I see vintage models all the time still with functioning clasps so the reasoning that they were not up to the job doesn't hold water in my eyes. Now I can see those little springs being a issue, but that can be improved on, certainly :)
    JohnM likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Landset View Post
    Still admiring my SUB300 re-issue, BL#44. What it only needs to take it to the #1 diver as a pure utilitarian tool watch and in my opinion eclipse the mighty Submariner, is to step up and provide a new re-designed and improved bracelet in the spirit of the original. The issued bracelet is worthy but just doesn't make the mark for this particular watch. The new bracelet from an aesthetic, comfort and functional standpoint must equal or exceed what has previously been created, or shouldn't be messed with. Again in my opinion the original SUB300 bracelet is by far a superior piece and completes the watch. On eBay, an original DOXA SUB300 BOR bracelet just went for $1600.00 which is more than a lot of the modern used DOXA watches in excellent condition are selling for. That confirms how I feel and speaks volumes. Am I alone? The new bracelet is too wide, too heavy, doesn't have the classic taper, ratcheting clasp for quick and easy adjustments during the day, and expanding links on each side to fit over the wet-suit. I would bet hands down that all 300 of us lucky individuals who were able to get the famed "Black Lung" would purchase such a new bracelet if DOXA would create it in a heartbeat. Based on the success, DOXA could incorporate this for other models as well. This I feel would pay the proper respect to the original, do it justice and propel DOXA to the top of the diving world and everybody would know it. Let's get DOXA rolling on this. Your thoughts?
    Love the bracelet on your watch, not keen particularly on skinny bracelets, like for example the one on the Rolex Deep sea, it just looks too thin for the heft of that watch, the Clasp on the other hand...well that could really do with upgrading (like on my 1200t) not bothered about a ratcheting mechanism I'd just like a clasp that matches the quality of the rest of the watch, not saying it's rubbish by the way.! Just not as good..
    Cheers,
    Macey.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information