Doxa Brand Recognition
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Doxa Brand Recognition

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Doxa Brand Recognition

We all know how easily recognizable a lot of other dive watches are. Most people, even some non-WIS people, can spot a Submariner, Sea-Dweller, or most Seamasters from across the room. Omega, Breitling, and Rolex are names that everybody has heard of, and they can be seen on almost a daily basis. My question is: How known is Doxa, and how recognizable is a Doxa SUB to the average person? I know that Doxa is pretty well known to most watch collectors, but I'm wondering how well they are known to the general public. A lot of people that wear the "big brands" such as Rolex or Breitling, often times don't know much about the watch at all. However, Doxa owners seem to always know about the history and brand itself. Essentially, they know exactly what is on their wrist. And another thing; how rare is it to see a Doxa SUB?
    Rolex Sea-Dweller 16600
    Rolex GMT-Master 16750
    Stowa Marine Original
    Seiko 6309-7040
    Seiko 6105-8000

Re: Doxa Brand Recognition

I think many people can identify a "Sub" on someone's wrist. Most of those people can't tell the difference between a fake, an homage, and an authentic watch. I seriously doubt most people can identify a Breitling let alone a Doxa. I bet the vast majority of people are thinking "nice Fossil" or "nice Invicta."

to the average person (general public) I feel they will not be aware of the Doxa brand, so they will not be recognizing one on a wrist your second question is very rare, as I have never seen one on anyone's wrist in public
    Tudor 58 Rivet Black Bay
    Silver Watch Company Archetype One Maxi

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

+1

No one really notices a watch on your wrist, and of those who might, only a very few would recognize anything other than the Rolex or Omega name.

Who cares. I enjoy the watches for what they are, not for what others think.

Last edited by skin diver; August 14th, 2013 at 22:28.

I like catching people trying to read the dial of my Sub on the sly, say at dinner or cocktails. Some ask--enthusiastically--what kind of watch is that?? I have yet to meet anyone who's correctly called out one of my Doxa Subs.

I too like that they fly below most radar. If ya know them, ya know... it's a pretty exclusive club for those who do. Incidentally my Searamblers took the place of my Rolex Submariner of 15 years.

How rare? I've only seen one Doxa in the wild, about five years ago, worn by the owner of the bar I was sitting in. Compare that to my one sighting of a Sinn worn by some guy in a sandwich shop, and the several Date-justs and Air-kings I see each month on my commute.

Save for two coworkers who always look to see what I've got on my wrist, I doubt anyone else notices. Wear them because you love them and leave them wondering.

I have only seen one Doxa SUB in the wild, and it was worn by a diving instructor at a local dive shop. Doxa seems to have decent advertising, and they are one of the few true professional dive watches, so I would figure they would be more popular than they are. Why is it that Doxa isn't seen very much?
    Rolex Sea-Dweller 16600
    Rolex GMT-Master 16750
    Stowa Marine Original
    Seiko 6309-7040
    Seiko 6105-8000

I see (multiple) Rolex watches on a daily basis.
    Omegas on a weekly basis.
    Only twice have I seen a person wearing an IWC (quite coincidental, first time it was the guy sitting next to me on a 3 hour flight).
    Never have I seen another Doxa and only one person ever identified my Doxa correctly - turns out he had a SUB 600T (not running) at the house.

That pretty much says it all, no?
    RonB
    Last edited by MHe225; August 15th, 2013 at 03:18.

DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar

I think it depends on what part of the world you're in. From what I've read, in Eastern Europe, and parts of Asia, the places where DOXA stayed strong even during the quartz crisis years, the DOXA name is highly recognized. They might not recognize a DOXA Sub, but the name is well known from all of the dress and casual watches that continued to sell there. Here in the West, unless they're a Cussler fan or a WIS, the only people that would recognize a DOXA Sub, would be someone familiar with them from back in the day. I've come across a couple of guys who recognized my Sub because they had a 300T in the '70s.
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information