Doxa Choices

Thread: Doxa Choices

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Doxa Choices

Ok so I turn 50 on the 31st. Wife is going to get me a watch. We are like everyone on a budget. But want a classic so considering a NIB TUSA or a new 5000. OR somehow an Ultraspeed. Questions...

is the dial really that small on the TUS (1000 series)? All my watches are large

Which is a better long term buy?

do you think the ultraspeed is the real deal? I really dont like that weenie little 20mm (or 21mm) they Doxa insists on using on their watches - takes all the fun out of being a strap nut like me. Perhaps I can tailoer a 22mm or even 24mm on an Ultraspeed since it is a classic type cas not a pillow type like the others.

If money was not the concern which would you get - understnadin that dive watches are hard to compare to non divers.

Or just your random thoughts on the subject. I do like the TUSA just wish she was larger and had the sweet newer bracelet.

Like the Ultraspeed but that little strap? And of course $$$. See it always seems to come down to that.
    Hoopman

Sunny Florida, USA

Re: Doxa Choices

forgive my non spell checked post guys.

Quote Originally Posted by hooperman42 View Post
    Ok so I turn 50 on the 31st. Wife is going to get me a watch. We are like everyone on a budget. But want a classic so considering a NIB TUSA or a new 5000. OR somehow an Ultraspeed. Questions...

is the dial really that small on the TUS (1000 series)? All my watches are large

do you think the ultraspeed is the real deal? I really dont like that weenie little 20mm (or 21mm) they Doxa insists on using on their watches - takes all the fun out of being a strap nut like me. Perhaps I can tailoer a 22mm or even 24mm on an Ultraspeed since it is a classic type cas not a pillow type like the others.

If money was not the concern which would you get - understnadin that dive watches are hard to compare to non divers.

Or just your random thoughts on the subject. I do like the TUSA just wish she was larger and had the sweet newer bracelet.

Like the Ultraspeed but that little strap? And of course $$$. See it always seems to come down to that.
    Hoopman

Sunny Florida, USA

The 5000 is the classic to me, and thats the one I would choose, however if we take your statement "what if Money is no object", then a milestone watch like a Deep Sea (Rolex) or a Fifty Fathoms (Blancpain(sp?)) would be the choices I consider...
    Current Rotation:
    Rolex Submariner "K" Serial
    Rolex SeaDweller
    The Beast - Casio GPW1000-4AJF

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hooperman42 View Post

OK here's my take. If you're used to large watches, the dial of the 1000T(TUSA or any other) will likely seem small. I have a TUSA and while I don't consider it a small watch, after wearing a 750T or 5000T, it does look noticeably smaller.

I don't have an opinion of the Ultraspeed. Since it's a DOXA, I know it's going to be nice, but just not my style since it's not a diver.

If I were you, I'd get a 5000T and take advantage of the Summer Sale. The 5KT is a very special watch, and ideal for a special occassion like your 50th. It has the size you're looking for, is loaded with features(ratcheting clasp, new bracelet, applied indices, polished hands, HRV) and can be worn with casual or formal attire.

I guess the only down side(for you), is the inability to use wide straps. Who knows thougth, the 5000T bracelet is so nice, you may find yourself not wanting to change it out.

As far as which is the better long term buy...can't really say. If it's a watch you're going to keep forever, then it doen't matter. If you think you'll flip it, flip a coin while you're at it, as that's probably the only way to make that call.
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

I think 5000t as well. Its a step up in fit and finish from the 1000t and it also has an excellent movement in it-ETA 2892 which is tops IMO along with all the other stuff subK stated. Lume is near the best around as well on the 5000t also.

oh no meant if money was not an object as far as the ultraspeed goes. no more high end $$$$$ for me.
    Hoopman

Sunny Florida, USA

I don't think I saw a Rolex sub in your signature line...how about the Rolex 16610LV (50th anniversay submariner)?

the question was which DOXA I meant - if money was not an object Belive its so big an object for me right now that I can barely see the computer screen past it
    Quote Originally Posted by moishlashen View Post
    I think 5000t as well. Its a step up in fit and finish from the 1000t and it also has an excellent movement in it-ETA 2892 which is tops IMO along with all the other stuff subK stated. Lume is near the best around as well on the 5000t also.
    Hoopman

Sunny Florida, USA

my $.02

I think you will find the 1000T too small based on some of the watches I see in your sig line.

5000T would be my choice (you pick the color ) or.....have you considered the Searambler T-Graph? Last I heard there were a few still available and since its a "special" birthday why not go for a limited edition special watch.

Happy 50th BTW!

Dave
    Dave

Does anyone have any pictures of the 1000T next to another watch? Something of a well-known size, like a Rolex Submariner or a Seiko SKX007? I, too, am considering the 1000 and I think it would be helpful if hooperman and I could see a comparison.

:thanks

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information