DOXA Gathering, Orlando, FL, 11 December, 2007

Thread: DOXA Gathering, Orlando, FL, 11 December, 2007

DOXA Gathering, Orlando, FL, 11 December, 2007

Hello Friends!

On Tuesday the 11th, Ray K. and I were able to get together for lunch and watches. As Ray had recently acquired a 1000T DS to accompany his 750T Pro, I just felt is was almost mandatory that all three Orlando Doxa's (that I'm aware of ...) get together for a group shot.

That, and I really wanted to see/hold a 1000T so I could decide for myself on the size/weight as compared to my 750T Pitt Edition and the dial colour. I really enjoy the inky appearance of the orange on my 750T, and was concerned that the matte finish of the 1000T DS might be a disappointment.

I was wrong .....

Having not seen the dial on the 1000T COSC, I can't comment on it, but I can tell you that the colour and dial are beautiful on the "standard" 1000T. Ray and I decided that the domed crystal probably lends the dial a certain sheen, helping it to "glow", if you will. The colour isn't flat, as I'd feared.

I'd taken my Yellow Monster so that I could compare the two side-by-side, and see the differences. The YM is certainly brighter, and lighter in colour, but the DS holds it's own. The DS has more of a "tool" look to it's colour, as opposed to the "happy" tint on the YM. Neither is bad, just completely different.

In summary for these two, I'll say this: I will add the 1000T DS to my collection, and keep the YM too. The watches, though both yellow-dialed divers, are subtly different, and each deserves it's own time in the sun.

Both Ray and I brought along a few other pieces to admire. In attendance were two 6309's (one on rubber, the other on steel), a stunningly beautiful Omega SeaMaster cal.1120, a Festina chrono, and a SS Samurai.

We enjoyed some fine Cuban sandwiches at Cubans To Go! On Lee Road in Orlando. Though I neglected to get any food shots (D'oh!), suffice to say that if you're in the area, and fancy a real good Cuban sammy, drop me a PM, and I'll give you directions.

Ray and I sat there for almost 2-1/2 hours, discussing watches, Cussler, Seiko divers, and Omega among other things. I noticed more than a few folks looking at the table full of beautiful timepieces, and one gentleman actually sat down briefly to admire the SeaMaster.

All in all, I had a really enjoyable time, and I'd like to publicly thank Ray for taking time from his schedule to allow me the opportunity to see the 1000T DS. This is a piece I've been wanting for some time, and now having seen and held it, I know that a copy will be coming to me soon.

I offer some pics of the watches discussed, and thank Ray once again for cleaning a few of them up for me. I'm still learning my camera. Thank you for taking the time to read my little ramblings, and please enjoy the pics. Feel free to ask any questions you may have, and I'll try to answer as best I can.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays Friends. Be safe, enjoy the love of family, and may the New Year be prosperous.

Cheers!
    Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by brietlingman; December 16th, 2007 at 15:09.
    All who wander are not lost ...
    Be a traveler, not a tourist.

A traveler doesn't know where he's going,
    a tourist doesn't know where he's been.

Re: DOXA Gathering, Orlando, FL, 11 December, 2007

Excellent pics Bill The 1000T Divingstar is really speaking to me

Regards
    Bob:thanks
    Bob.

Ticking away..the moments that make up a dull day.
    Omega 2254.50
    Omega 2531.80
    Rolex Submariner

Very cool. Thanks for pics, I really like the yellow faces as well.
    Steven
    Florida, USA

Sinn 103 St Sa LE
    Sinn 757 UTC
    Sinn U1
    Sinn 6100 Regulatuer
    IWC Aquatimer
    NOMOS Tangomat Datum
    Stowa Marine Original, 80th anniversary LE
    Stowa Seatime
    Doxa SUB750T Military Sharkhunter PVD
    Zinex Trimix GMT PVD LE Black Pirate
    Ocean 7 LM-2 GMT SE PVD
    Bathys Aquaculture MOP PVD
    Tissot TXL
    Seiko Kinetic Sportura SNL029P1 PVD
    Seiko Chronograph Sports 150
    Citizens Eco-Drive Calibre 8700 BL8000-03A
    Citizens Eco-Drive Largo Perpetual Calendar
    TX 730 w/ FlyBack Chrono
    Poljot Sturmanske Chrono
    Aristo Apucto HP6
    Casio ToughSolar ProTrek Titanium
    Various G's

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It's great seeing that people are starting to appreciate the 1000T. It's unfortunate that some are dismissing it as a small watch. To these people I say you are only short changing yourself. As the old saying goes "Variety is the spice of life". If you want a vintage size Doxa in your collection, the 1000 size is perfect. I feel that owning more than one size and brand of watch rounds out my collection. I think the vintage Doxas were one of those chance designs where form follows function resulting in the almost perfect dive watch. My only problem is that Doxa keeps taking perfection to greater heights. I want them all, but my bank account won't cooperate.

Joe

PS. The Doxa Sensei out there just keep counseling with "Patience Grasshopper"
    Doxa 600T Pro
    Doxa 1000T Pro
    Doxa 750T Searambler
    Doxa 750T Divingstar GMT
    Doxa 1000T Divingstar
    Breitling Steelfish
    Sinn U1

sorry i missed the gathering, fellas! a short drive from the big APK! hope you enjoyed lunch!

Quote Originally Posted by mfhark View Post
    sorry i missed the gathering, fellas! a short drive from the big APK! hope you enjoyed lunch!
    We'll let you know before the next one. Glad to have Ya.
    Best Regards,
    Ray K

Thread Information