Doxa quality question

Thread: Doxa quality question

Doxa quality question

Some of you may have seen my other recent post over in the dive watches forum. I am in the market for a dive watch, and the new Divingstar GMT is one of my choices. My question is, what is the quality of this Doxa? I am generally very rough on my watches, and they often recieve hard bangs while diving or just at work. Will the GMT be able to take severe bangs if a 'slip' occurs? How is the overall quality of the watch?

Thanks for your help! :)

Re: Doxa quality question

Quote Originally Posted by James Baker
    Some of you may have seen my other recent post over in the dive watches forum. I am in the market for a dive watch, and the new Divingstar GMT is one of my choices. My question is, what is the quality of this Doxa? I am generally very rough on my watches, and they often recieve hard bangs while diving or just at work. Will the GMT be able to take severe bangs if a 'slip' occurs? How is the overall quality of the watch?

I think the new GMT is about as well made as you can find for the money. The case is well made and I think the bracelet is alot better than that which is on my Marathon SAR and I like it more than the seiko monster bracelet because of the screw attached links. It has heavy links and the screws penetrate the full width of the bracelet. They are one piece screws and they are beefy enough to take some punishment and one heck of alot easier to remove and install than pins and collars or the 2 piece screw arrangement on my SAR bracelet. I have always liked the DOXA bezel for one big reason ... it stays where I put it and it isn't easily knocked off it's setting. This GMT seems to have a good luminosity also and although I have only had mine 24 hours, it seems to be doing about +5 sec/day which isn't too bad. If I had to choose between repurchasing my Omega seamaster GMT or the Doxa GMT I would choose the Doxa as I feel the build quality is about equal save the chronometer movement but the pricing takes that into account.

The only thing I could ever say about a doxa taking a knock, is the shiny portion of the bezel will always show wear quickly. Its just too easy to scratch it. If you are the sort of person who will get bothered by this, then it will annoy the hell out of you. I gather from your question though that you expect it to get a little bit of a battering. Personally, having had 2 now, I believe you will be every bit as happy with the Doxa as I am. Will it take the pressure of a rough life. Yes, and more, and come back smiling at you.
    Regards

Colin

Omega Seamaster Pro COSC (Bond)
    Seiko 007 on various natos
    UK Military Divers 200M Quartz
    Seiko Kinetic Diver (Boss)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi Jim, and welcome to Doxaholics Anonymous! Doxa makes an awesome diving tool as evidenced by a poll we have going on here on the forum. We have around 70 (so far) divers on this forum. Everything from the occassional rec diver to professionals who do it for a living. I think it speaks very highly for Doxa that there are so many divers who use Doxas for their intended use, i.e. diving. Especially with all of the available options out there. You can't go wrong with Doxa, both before AND after the sale...........

Paul
    Doxa Ad Vitam !

Put it this way, last weekend I had to do some physical

work. Of all my watches I grabbed for the Doxa because it's one that won't bother me if it takes some knocks because it's a rough looking tool type watch. It has its shiny bits and it's classy, but what I mean is that a few dings and dangs enhance it. My other watches can take the beating too, but the Breitling with it's elegance and the Dreadnought with it's satin finish wouldn't look as nice with many dings and such. IMO of course. I reach for the Doxa when I want a cool Swiss diver/sport watch but I know that there is a chance of rough stuff. Even with all this mine is still in great condition. I've had the Divingstar 600T since April 2005.

I see no reason why the GMT version wouldn't be the same in this regard.

Quote Originally Posted by James Baker

James,

I have worn my Doxa 750T pro every day since I bought it last year (only take it off to shower) and it has been through a lot. The only visible wear are some hairline scratches on the bezel and the clasp. As you can see by the posting by Thies above these can be buffed out. My Doxa has performed very well and still looks very good.

~S
    Doxa Sub 750T Professional 501/5000
    Omega Seamaster Deville (1970)
    Swiss Army - Officers Automatic
    Citizen Aqualand Pro - Quartz
    Tag Heuer 200m Professional - Quartz (Full Lume Dial)
    Vintage Pocket Watch - Circa 1910

Like all Doxas, the Divingstar GMT is built tough.
    I've been wearing mine almost constantly since it arrived last week. I managed to bonk it into a wall and dropped it once -- no problems.
    The bracelet is heftier than the one used on the regular 750s, and that is good.
    I haven't had a chance to get mine wet, but previous experience with other 750s and 600 T-Graphs leads me to expect no problems.
    If you travel and indulge in immersion activities, the DS-GMT should be the watch for you.

Steve
    Fine watches are like diamonds for men

Thread Information