Is DOXA really that niche of a brand?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By nitron135
  • 1 Post By MZhammer

Thread: Is DOXA really that niche of a brand?

Is DOXA really that niche of a brand?

Serious question that I'm curious about. In my watch collecting years I have always known offhand that Doxa is sort of a niche brand that only specific watch guys will appreciate, but after doing more research and getting to know more about its history, I am starting to think that it is even more of a niche than I had thought.

The reason this crossed my mind is because I realized that my first Doxa purchase, a SUB 300 50th Searambler, a few weeks ago is still available to order from Doxa. Normally, a small limited batch of 300 watches from most brands would sell out in a fair amount of time measured in weeks or months. But the SUB 300 50th has been available since 2017 - are there really units STILL left after nearly 1.5 years on the market?

If so, this kind of makes me love the watch even more than I already do! Silly reason, I know, but there is a good fuzzy feeling to it.

Cheers
    John

Re: Is DOXA really that niche of a brand?

I didn’t realize that there were still 50th 300s available. Rick pointed to them as perhaps best Doxa subs ever. Nice that people can still get them.
    adg31 likes this.

are we sure the batch was only 300 watches?

that's not an unrelated matter to how niche it is, but there is certainly a difference between niche and not selling many. regardless of weather or not that connection matters, i'd say they are a niche item - it has it's own little group of lovers, and watch people in general tend to know about them.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by groooooove View Post
    are we sure the batch was only 300 watches?
    That's what Doxa's product description states, and the case back is also numbered xxx/300.

I see the brand jumping in popularity soon. Its a niche brand with an iconic vintage appeal, story, and aesthetic. Couple that with the gold release this year and the brand showing up more on blogs and instagram and its poised to take a jump in popularity.

I predict vintage prices to go up and the modern watches to take a step in price as well soon. Honestly, look no further than your post as proof. Suddenly your eyes are on a watch brand you brushed off before. Thats on purpose and marketing took you here.

I see the brand jumping in popularity soon. Its a niche brand with an iconic vintage appeal, story, and aesthetic. Couple that with the gold release this year and the brand showing up more on blogs and instagram and its poised to take a jump in popularity.

I predict vintage prices to go up and the modern watches to take a step in price as well soon. Honestly, look no further than your post as proof. Suddenly your eyes are on a watch brand you brushed off before. Thats on purpose and marketing took you here.

Well..... If they did not make every watch they make a "Limited Edition", their customer base would grow and more people would own them.

I'd say yes, it is that niche, if sales and units produced are of any indication. The 50th anniversary watches and BLs have been the most popular recent editions and have gotten much more press that any historical posts. The fact that not all of those 300 pieces are sold is telling.

In the last 3 years they've gotten a lot of press but the core watches aren't moving any faster, other than a few hot editions, and the vintage pieces aren't rising in price. I'd say this brand will stay a niche brand forever unless the new management reaches into the back catalog and goes after the pre-sub stuff like their dress watches that appeal to a more diverse audience.

As it sits, the sizing and design are quite polarizing and they specialize in very dive-y dive watches. Not very versatile designs... but nice if you like them!

Name:  Doxa Shark Lung2.JPG
Views: 82
Size:  374.9 KB
    Last edited by MZhammer; 3 Weeks Ago at 23:48.
    VoyTirando likes this.
    Current Rotation:
    6 Keepers, 2 Rotators
    and a few guilty pleasures...

Dress Watches Casual Watches Sport Watches Rotators
    High A. Lange & Söhne 1815 Up/Down Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Chrono Rolex GMT Master II 16710 Breguet Classique Chronograph 3237
    Low Cartier Tank Basculante Heuer Carrera 1964 Re-Edition CS3111 Doxa Sharkhunter Black Lung Ralph Lauren Slim 867 White Gold

Instagram @mzhammer_wis

Thread Information