Doxa Retail Market: How bout' a return to roots?

Thread: Doxa Retail Market: How bout' a return to roots?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Doxa Retail Market: How bout' a return to roots?

I'm new to the forum and have only posted a couple of times. Most recently I chimed in that my "dream Doxa" would be a reissue of the US Divers dial. The old vintage divers are what lured me to the brand, but with copyright/licensing issues the retro dial isn't likely.

What do other forum members think about Doxa returning to the retail market in dive shops instead of jewelry stores? Wouldn't it be cool if you could only find Doxa online or at your local dive shop? It would be just like old times when the brand had a cult following among serious recreational/pro divers.

There is just something about seeing a Doxa Pro nestled under a spotlight next to a Rolex or Breitling (and sold by a guy wearing coat and tie) that just doesn't seem right.

This is just my two-cents, but I'm curious to see if I'm the only one who has thought of this....

Shawn

Re: Doxa Retail Market: How bout' a return to roots?

Its a cool idea but I think DOXA would rather make more money by reaching a broader audience selling in watch shops than specialty dive shops. In the end, its a business, thats why they also moved the sub line to retail - to make more money. Nothing wrong with it though.
    Lots of dive watches.

My guess is they wouldn't sell that well as most recreational divers nowadays use a dive computer. Mechanical dive watches are more or less a throwback to the glory days.
    Cheers,

Keith

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by kycigar View Post
    I'm new to the forum and have only posted a couple of times. Most recently I chimed in that my "dream Doxa" would be a reissue of the US Divers dial. The old vintage divers are what lured me to the brand, but with copyright/licensing issues the retro dial isn't likely.

Why not just buy a vintage US Divers instead. Great watches

Alasdair

Metropolitan Detroit (Or is it South Florida again?)

I agree with the guys above, while the idea is nostalgic and would be cool, I don't think they'd sell well in dive shops these days, and certainly wouldn't sell as well as they will in retail watch sellers. After all, the sole purpose of any business is to profit. The more the profit, the more chances of success to the business, as profit is the life blood of any business.

As to the reproduction (exact) of the originals, I couldn't agree more (but I still think they need multiple models, including one similar in size to the 750T).

For dial graphics, while the classic USD logo isn't an option, I really wish they'd come up with something as an alternative. Seems the NUMA logo won't be an option (pity, it adds some color, and could raise some funds for NUMA) but they did do the limited Sea Hunters helmet logo. While this was a decent alternative, they need something else, maybe something proprietary, that they could call their own. But something there, to take up some space on the dial, and make the face a bit more special.

Regards, T Bone.

DOXA Forum and Sales Corner Moderator

The Dive shop thing was cool back then but, it's a different world today. What Doxa needs is two size categories in production like Breitling with a 42mm and 44mm size, plus it needs a real ladies size watch of 30 to 35mm.
    They have two perfectly good Logos to use on the dials. The Synchron Star and the Jenny fish. Neither one has any legal issues and both have Dive watch history. One piece of the past that Doxaholics will have to let go of, and this pains me to say it, is the name Conquistadore and the Aqualung Logo. If you must have them you'll just have to find a vintage watch with them. My personal opinion is that the past is for the Vintages and Doxa must live in the Now in order to be a commercial success. Besides, the new reissues are better watches and still maintain the Doxa look.

Joe
    Doxa 600T Pro
    Doxa 1000T Pro
    Doxa 750T Searambler
    Doxa 750T Divingstar GMT
    Doxa 1000T Divingstar
    Breitling Steelfish
    Sinn U1

Great inputs from all, and I realize that the retail watch business now is alot different than it was in the late 60s/70s. Things must move on.

I have worn my Doxa to dive, but it certainly is a nostalgia thing and an emergency backup at best. It vertainly can't replace the new technology in dive computers--which are half the price of a Doxa for a high end model. It would be cool if Doxa released a totally new design of modern dive watch (with a logo of course!). I've seen scans of a prototype on the forum that were cool.

I agree with Joe--the reissues benefit from the latest advantages in mechanical watches and are a better bet overall for a true tool watch.

My best bet is to seek out a vintage US Divers, but they seem hard to come by these days.

Shawn

DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar

Great inputs from all, and I realize that the retail watch business now is alot different than it was in the late 60s/70s. Things must move on.

I have worn my Doxa to dive, but it certainly is a nostalgia thing and an emergency backup at best. It vertainly can't replace the new technology in dive computers--which are half the price of a Doxa for a high end model. It would be cool if Doxa released a totally new design of modern dive watch (with a logo of course!). I've seen scans of a prototype on the forum that were cool.

I agree with Joe--the reissues benefit from the latest advantages in mechanical watches and are a better bet overall for a true tool watch.

My best bet is to seek out a vintage US Divers, but they seem hard to come by these days.

Shawn
    Sort of late posting to this one, but I wanted to think about it a bit before I did. At first I thought, "No way" not only would the current line be a tough sale to dive shop patrons, it would be a harder sale to dive shop owners. Not because DOXAs are traditional....traditional dive watches do sell in the dive retail venue.(look at what St. Moritz and Freestyle do in that setting)

What kills the current line, is price. Unless the shop owner was a WIS and just loved the DOXA line, they'd probably laugh a DOXA rep. right out of their store. Of course that's with the current line, but DOXA could revisit their past.....

What DOXA could do, is create an entry-level line, that was marketed to dive retailers. This line would be separate from the current, jewelry store line and possibly could be marketed under a sub brand of DOXA.

They could promote it themselves, but the most effective way would be to repeat history, and team up with a full line equipment manufacturer like Aqualung. While I'm not sure if Aqualung would see value in teaming up with DOXA again, it would be an avenue that might have possibility. They distribute Drager, Apeks and Suunto, so a DOXA team-up may be appealing to them. (Of course, this may have already been done, and we just aren't privy to it)
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

I like the way you think! That idea could work. I have been to few shops that don't carry a line of dive watches.

DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar

I like the way you think! That idea could work. I have been to few shops that don't carry a line of dive watches.
    Thanks KY, it could possibly work. It may not be the express ticket DOXA is looking for, but once they are well established in jewelry stores....I could see them returning to dive shops. That's where we could see a quartz DOXA that many are wanting.

You said that the shops you've been to, don't carry watches. It's funny and I guess it depends on the part of the country you're in, but almost every dive shop I've been to, carries either Freestyle, St. Moritz, or both.
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information